Improvement

Moderator: Mods

leopard

Improvement

Post by leopard »

My IRN who is now probably 11 months(roughly) and he has just started to take most forms of food from my fingers(from outside the cage) what should I do next as I think I should be hurrying up because he is not getting any younger!
Raj is my baby!
leopard

Post by leopard »

Raj is my baby!
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

you dont have to hurry up, you dont have to be in a rush, if he is taking food from your hands out side the cage thats good, what do you want to do next, everyone does different things.
Sharlene and Amazon
leopard

Post by leopard »

May sound silly but I am not completely sure on what aI should do...Any suggestions?
Raj is my baby!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

If you try and rush things too much you could be taking a few steps back in the progress you have made.

I would let him work at his own pace. :)

Like Amazonite asked, what is the next thing you would like to achieve with him? :)

8)
leopard

Post by leopard »

I was thinking maybe I should put my hand inside the cage and get him to take food off me...Is that a good idea?
Raj is my baby!
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

leopard wrote:I was thinking maybe I should put my hand inside the cage and get him to take food off me...Is that a good idea?

You can try this, start with holding your hand in the cage open hand with food sitting on your fingers so he doenst have to go too close to your hand to get the food, dont push it and hold your hand very still when he takes the food say good boy or whatever your using. and do this for a while you can start moving the food further into your hadn so he has to step on your hand to get the food.

becareful he he starts to freak with your hand in his cage remove your hand nad try again next day or in 4 hours or so, birds can be scared of hands so you dont want him going backwards.
Sharlene and Amazon
leopard

Post by leopard »

Thank you for that information!
I will try that with cornflakes(hope they aren't too unhealthy but they are the only thing he like to take from me.) and hope that he takes them from me...if he lunges at me(which really hurts once he gets a hold) while I put my hand in the cage, should I back away or withstand it?
Raj is my baby!