HELPP!!!

Moderator: Mods

Marsha

HELPP!!!

Post by Marsha »

Maia is not eating!!!!!! she likes apples and guava ALOT!!!! but she hasn't been eating very well in the past three days. i dunno if it's because i gave her too many peanuts. she seemed to like them alot and ate ALOT of them happily...but today she had very little of her cucumber, another food she likes. and in the night i put in a lil guava and she din't touch it at all. also she loves sitting outside her cage the whole day but she didn't come out tonight. usually whenever her cage door is opened she is out but for the past one week she spends more time in her cage than out. besides that she stilll squaks alot, really loudly and all, tells the myna bird outside many stories. her feathers are fine. except for the past one month the ends of the tail feathers have been getting a little black. has she lost her appetite coz she 's molting? had too many peanuts? :cry:
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

hey, i'm no expert or anything but if that was me i would take my bird to the vet... but thats just my thoughts on it, sorry wish i had more to help though.
maybe some of the more experienced people on the forum will have some more advice.
Hopefully Maia is ok.. best wishes.

:)
Reearn nd Birdbird
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

im with Miss_kaos on this one, take your baby to the vet and get her checked over, i would with Amazon if he stopped eating.
Sharlene and Amazon
Donna

Post by Donna »

What else does your bird eat? If you are just feeding it apples and nuts and some cucumber and guava it's not getting enough vitamins in it's diet. You should be feeding your bird a seed mix with pellets and fruits and veggies not just some veggies and peanuts.

Have your bird vet checked ASAP, once they stop eating you don't have much time before it dies. Black markings on the feathers are called stress bars and this is also due to malnutrition

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

i looked at Maia more closely and noticed there are alot more black markings and the feathers are frayed. i don't feed her only apples, guavas and peanuts. at the pet shop she was given only sunflower seeds and i continued giving them to her since december. this month i bought trill bird seeds. they are a mix of several seeds and i introduced them to her gradually but she isn't taking to them so i mixed more sunflower seeds with the mix. she doesn't like leafy vegetables. had a french bean, two cubes of apple, a slice of guava today. what other foods can i give her? and can stress be urm...reduced, somehow?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I would cut back on the amount of sunflower seeds she is receiving. Too many can lead to health issues like fatty liver & feather plucking from the heat sunflowers generate. Sunflower seeds is kinda like a chocolate bar to us, yummy but too many is not good for ya :)

I have also read peanuts should be given in small quantities.

Have you tried Maia with vegies like corn, peas, carrot, sprouted seeds, chilli and capsicum for example? (mine love all these :))

I would probably take Miai to a vet since there has been no improvement. Just to be on the safe side. Birds, as all animals, tend to hide there sickness well as not to attract attention in the wild. So by the time they show symptoms there is usually something wrong. Especially if they stop or slow down eating!!

Let us know how she goes.

:)
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Just some extra food ideas.

Suprisingly, my peeps like carrots.. YUCK. But they love to eat them and shred them. I buy the baby carrots when they are on sale but I just take the regular ones and quarter them so they can hold them and cut them about 2 1/2 inches long. They like that.

Another thing they like is the veggie mix in the freezer section. It has carrots/peas/greenbeans and corn. I just take it and put it in a strainer and run hot water over it until it is room temp or a little warmer. It takes about 2 minutes to whip up that little treat and they prefer it. I have give them just apples or something and they yell at me...lol. They know what the yellow seed dish means and if they look in there and it is not acceptable- they throw it on the floor and then hang on the the side of the cage until I get it right..lol

They do eat apples and squash and zucchini. They don't care much for bananas.

Hope this helps!
Suzanne- NC- USA
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Was also wondering if you took the seeds out of the apples before you gave them to Maia ?
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Thankyou, Peachykeen for the food ideas. Maia has been better today. she ate two french beans happily. i wonder if she doesn't like apples nemore. i only give them to her once every second day coz they are her favourite. ate a little watermelon too. Thankyou pinkdevil for the info on the seeds n nuts. maia doesn't like carrots. i give her a chilli every week. haven't tried sprouted seeds yet ,will try though. :)
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

So i took maia to the vet, back in march itself. and the vet's like the black marks are due to her whole feather renewal process. he said she's healthy and gave her some medicine, that she had to take for 10 days. she got better soon and her appetite came back by day 3 of the medication....off late maia has been doing the cutest thing, drinking water from a bottle cap, like it was her own little cup...however, shes gone bonkers!!! she's snapping at my fingers if i touch her cage. this is the bird who would allow me to rearrange the things on her cage without getting frightened. she bites my sister and me whenever we touch her cage, close her cage door, open her cage. like only uptil a month ago she wud sorta come over to our fingers and touch them with her tongue. now we wouldn't dare do soo. she is still afraid of my dad and nanny. they are the only ones who can handle her...with fear she obeys. but isn't it sad. we love maia loads and now it's like i don't even know who she is. why is she so possessive of her cage? and the things on it? she is pretty relaxed around us, continues grooming herself. she's about 14 months old.i'm sorta disappointed. maia is the sweetest thing and we take special care of her like as if she were another member of the family.
bec

Post by bec »

i wouldnt worry too much about the personality change it sounds like bluffing stage
dont worry its temporary there are heaps of posts on bluffing & how to handle it
glad to hear shes doing better though
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

i don't think she's bluffing, i mean her eyes haven't pinned up. shes just possessive of her stuff and hates everyones hands. today shes started sleeping with her head buried backwards into her back.....she never sleeps like that.....thats so weird!??!
Bella

Post by Bella »

They sleep with their head backwards under their wing usually it sounds normal from what you explain
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)