How many to an aviary?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

samfoy

How many to an aviary?

Post by samfoy »

I am interested in a larger bird than the finches I now have. I have a 15' x 10' outdoor aviary here in Central California and would like to try a mating IRB. I know my aviary is big enough for one pair, but I would like someones suggestion on the idea of two or three total pairs of IRB in the aviary. Or could I just have males only and get 3 or 4 IRB?
samfoy

Post by samfoy »

Anyone out there?
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i would only have one pair in an avairy,
Sharlene and Amazon
nil

Post by nil »

one pair is better and safier
you can put together more pairs, but you need a large aviary and it is enough risky because females become scramble and may injury or even kill the others ,especially in the breeding season.
samfoy

Post by samfoy »

Thanks for the help guys. I have emptied my main (10' x 15') aviary of finches to make room for larger, more personable outdoor birds. I am still considering IRN, Rosella, or something that has color and will stay in the aviary. The IRN has an air and looks of a sleek fun bird. I was hoping to have a few pairs to learn from, but I will take your advise and go with one pair. Does anyone suggest any other bird that might go with a pair of IRN's in a 10' x 15' area?
nil

Post by nil »

if i dont wrong, you have an aviary 3*4,5 m

Does anyone suggest any other bird that might go with a pair of IRN's in a 10' x 15' area?

no other bird in the same aviary with irns.

if you want to have more irns or other similar size parrot you can split your aviary to two (3*2,25m) or even three (3*1,5m) aviaries with a pair in each aviary.
what about with the forest fires there samfoy?
samfoy

Post by samfoy »

I think that sounds better than mixing. I'll split the aviary into two 10' x 7' and have two pairs. That brings up all kinds of issues that I'll have research - noise levels, breeding next to each other, diet, etc. This might be the fun part tho - making life desirable for the little guys(IRN's)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

dont have the pairs right next to each other if thats the only way to do it, then you might want to put a board up so they cant see each other as the males might not be interested in their partner and want to play with the other pair
Sharlene and Amazon
samfoy

Post by samfoy »

samfoy

Post by samfoy »

Sorry, I'm trying to change the background or the cursor color.

Would you guys suggest I keep females and males separate until breeding season, then switch one male and one female so they match up to a breeding pair? Yes, I can and will put a solid wall between the two flights. That means they will have a large area(10' x 7') to breed in compared to an appropriate cage. Is that ok or do you suggest caging until they fledge? I know these questions have been answered before many times sorry - my learning curve. Thanks guys
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i would put the male and the female that you want to breed together in teh same cage to start off with so they can get use to one another first.
Sharlene and Amazon
samfoy

Post by samfoy »

If I get two pairs that are mates, separate them until breeding, reintroduce them when that season starts, all would be good if they are still mates. Or just keep the pairs together all year and add nest boxes in say, December? That won't work because there needs to be a time of separation to create desire to bond and breed. What do you think?

One more idea. Can I have males only for year or two and then breed when I get used to housing IRN's?
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

we me and my mate were breeding we got a yellow pair and a green pair, put the greens in one and the yellows in the other and closer to breeding season added the boxes.

i dont understand why you want just males then add females later houseing one irn in an avairy is the same as housing 2 you just have to make sure there is enough food
Sharlene and Amazon
nil

Post by nil »

i prefer a pair to live together for all year and around January just add a nest there.
your aviaries are enough large, so i dont think is necessary to add a wall between them.
samfoy

Post by samfoy »

My main idea is to enjoy the birds while learning about them without breeding for a while. The only reason I don't want to breed anytime soon is I don't know enough people to sell them once that time comes. Unless it's possible to keep mom, dad, and all the babies together for a year or more? I know they will want to breed, but can I hold back the nest box for a year and be ok?
samfoy

Post by samfoy »

I am revisiting this issue and would love to hear from anyone as if i left off from last year.

I have added a pair of Princess of Whales parrots to the aviary since last year. Can I still add one or two IRN's? If so, what would i need to do to prep the situation?