untame Indian Ringneck - caught for winter. need advice

Moderator: Mods

dan

untame Indian Ringneck - caught for winter. need advice

Post by dan »

Hey everyone.

I live in Australia and I’ve had an Indian Ringneck live in my back yard this year.
I’ve fed him seeds now and then, fruit or bread. And he flys away somewhere to sleep at night .

I have a short video below if you want to see.

But it is winter now and I was worried he wouldn’t survive so I caught him and brought him in just for the winter.
He’s shut in the cage now and isn’t very happy about it.
I can’t keep him in there for all winter. What should I do? He’s not tame I can’t touch him.

I wondered if I should get the wings clipped so at least he can walk around the house.
I would like to let him come and go free again after winter so how long does clipping last?

Or maybe he would have been ok during winter on his own?
I just don’t know if I’m doing the right thing. Please help

x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yAYeH0kFc

[url][/url]
Last edited by dan on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

umm i think, its its a wild bird i think its mean to have him locked up in a cage, if its been coming to your place for a year im sure its had a winter outsdie on its own, it should be fine. I would say let it go back out to where it knows, clipping it would be mean as its not a caged bird this one is wild
Sharlene and Amazon
dan

Post by dan »

Thanks for replying. Surviving winter was my only concern.
I hope you are right.

He's been in for 2 nights now but winter has only just began.
I'll wait to see some of the other reply's before I do anything ( He might fly off for good after this ) .
He use to go in the cage on his own in the day but just never slept there. The cage is only 20inch wide each side. Maybe 35inch tall.

He hasn't been here for A year though... just THIS year , maybe since late Febuary? ( summer )

This is the first winter since he's been in my yard. By wild do you think he may have been living on his own for many years now?

BTW He's eating as I'm typing this

With the occasional squawk when I leave the room.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i would think if he is a real wild bird he would be doing it his whole life, and not know any different, unless he has excaped from a house.
Sharlene and Amazon
dan

Post by dan »

But it's impossible for him to be born in the wild.

I'm still very confused, I rang 2 pet stores and 3 vets, 2 pet places said he will definitely die ( although they also said he wouldn't be able to live in the wild which he sort of has)

2 bird vets said it might be ok in winter if he finds some sort of shelter but best catch him. One said he should be fine if he's been out most of the year.

The 2 petstores also said I should bring him in to clip the wings to help him settle down and not disturb him for a week. But I've been talking to him alot so far and he seems ok, so I'll ignore that part. I just can't touch him.
Donna

Post by Donna »

If it is truely wild it would be best to keep it wild. You could do more harm to the bird if you brought it in for the winter. It more then likely escaped from an outside aviary and it could have a mate some where.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
dan

Post by dan »

Thanks for helping me people, it's so hard to know what to do best for the bird. If I let him go there might not be a 2nd chance. In fact he might not even stay in my yard after catching him now.

I'm even more worried now since most the "experts" on the phone have told me today he wont survive winter "alone".

I'm also confused about people here saying "totally wild bird"
Do you mean he's been on his own for too long now to be tame?

But I'm guessing he's from an Avery too. I did ask the paper months ago and heard nothing. And no one reported anything either at the pet stores or vets when I checked.

However when I asked a bird recue place they told me they knew a very eldely lady that was very distressed because she lost it. I was hoping it was hers but when they said the colouring on the birds are so pretty. I thought, and asked,"What colour is it?" And they said green. I then told them mine was blue and then they replied, " oh but there's a blue one missing too!"

But didn't know the sex and lived miles away, and said it had been missing few weeks. I'm sure you dont wait few months to notice your pet gone.

So I just told them I've spotted it in the area. I kinda felt he was making stories up to get me to bring him in.
I stopped advertising about him after that and just let him stay in my yard.

it's getting night now I'm still not 100% sure if I should let him go or not.
Rolly

Escapee

Post by Rolly »

I would keep the bird in a larger cage for the winter, if I were you.
But I won't clip his wings, so that he'll be free again come spring.

Since you don't know the bird's history, and doubtful about his survival
in the wild alone, this is the safe way to go.

And during winter, you might decide that you could provide him a mate,
give them a suitable breeding cage...and in spring...raise a clutch
of blue & violet IRNs.

Welcome Dan!
To birdbreeding as a hobby!
dan

Post by dan »

Thanks to so many people for trying to help. I doubt I'll breed him but the big cage sounds like a good option too.

Do you think catching him now may scare him off hanging around when I let him go again though?

I'm sure he followed me to the shops last week. I heard him squawk, looked up and saw him fly past. This was quite a few streets away from my house.
Rolly

Eiither Way

Post by Rolly »

If provided with a large cage where he can get acclimatized to Australian winter & at the same time a sheltered portion of the cage where he can
retreat if the weather gets too cold, you stand a good chance of him
getting used to the food & safety of an aviary and he might just come back
to it even after he's released.

And if he doesn't, at least you've done your part of acclimatizing him
and you can rest assured that he could survive the next winter living
in the wild.

There is a large population of feral IRNs in London where the winter
is harsher & your IRN is a hardy bird that could very well adapt
to Australian winter.

With a little conditioning help from guys like you.
Thanks for your concern.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Dan, as you are in Australia, IRNs are not native here and it is actually illegal to release him back to the wild. Even though there are IRN in the wild, they are NOT allowed to be released. I have been told you can actually be fined if caught releasing birds into the wild :)

They are considered a pest here and there are talks of culling the wild ones. :(

I would say he is either an escapee or was released by an owner who didn't want him any more.

If you can't or don't wish to keep him, you could donate him to someone who rescues unwated birds. Most rescue people have large outdoor aviaries.

I live in Central NSW (near Bathurst) and it gets very cold here. My IRNs are aviary birds and have survived the winters that I have had them for fine. I do provide them with shelter and coverings. If he is in an indoor/patio cage then I would either keep him inside or in a well sheltered spot outside.

He is a beautiful bird. :)

Good luck with your decision

8)
dan

Post by dan »

Thankyou everyone for your advice, you’ve all been very kind.
I hope I don’t upset anyone but I’ve decided to keep him inside for about 8weeks till it warms up again. Taking in consideration what the other
people ,and people on this board have commented and emailed to me. More seemed to think its best to keep him then against.

Plus I don’t think I would ever forgive myself if he didn’t make it through the July winter months after I let him go now.

Can I tame him more without wing clipping?

It would be wonderful if I let him go after, he would stay in my yard to Sleep at nights too. Maybe he will get more tame now because of this - who knows.

thanks pinkdevil, he use to come to my yard pretty much all day 9 -5ish. Spending most of the time in his cage ( by his choice)
I guess it's not really releasing him. He left now and then . no more than 20min. And also that time he followed me.

Can I tame him without wing clipping?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

IRNs are not seen in the wild here often and I dont know how people already think of them as pests? Sure they have become a common sight overseas, but not here, or am I wrong? I think its more of a 'threat' because of whats happened in other countrys.
Hes probably escaped from a breeder perhaps. I would have done the same and I'd try and contact breeders in your area, as IRNs are not migratory birds, he most likely came from nearby. Both winter and summer can be dangerous for any bird. Especially if its alone out there. I dont think this bird has a wild 'family' out there.
You could tame him, but this is no garantee. Taming a wild unclipped bird is very hard and takes alot of persistant effort. :? But it sounds like hes coming around to you and trusting you to feed him. This is a start. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
dan

Post by dan »

I tried finding the owner months ago. I'm not going to now.
I just removed the adds the day before. My vet convinced me, she said if he was missed and loved, they would have contacted the pet stores, vets and newspapers in the area months ago.

I looked at bigger cages that day too but I didn't know they were so expensive! The good news is I opened the cage for him to explore the room and he returned on his own later. He eats a lot too which is a good sign I think. I may bring him in for a check up at the vet.
dan

Post by dan »

He definitely doesn't have a wild 'family'. I've only seen him with the crows occasionally just outside my house.

Like I said, most days he stayed 9am to 5:30pm just on his own or in my cage that I put outside for him to go into.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:wink: Aww well I'm glad he has a safe place to go now, you have done all you can to find an owner. It definately sounds like hes likes you.
Oh yep, cages can be expensive.. though I got a decent sized cage off ebay, about a 3rd the price you'd pay in a petshop!
Goodluck with the lil guy. :wink:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Here is a link to the IRNs either escaped or released in the wild in W.A. in Australia that are concidered pests.

8)
IndianRingneckBoy

Post by IndianRingneckBoy »

Where i live there was a wild macaw an he lived in the woods for 20 years as my farther youst to go and feed it when he was younger
IRN - Koi
Cats - Ozzy,Marely,Chester
dan

Post by dan »

I took him to the vet for a check up yesterday and everything is fine. :D
I'm looking around for a new cage still. The vet thinks he's excaped from a breeder too, and that's why they haven't bothered to look for him.

He's also starting to make budgie talking noises. I'm really happy, because he lets me stratch him with a stick now. He also steps on it without flying away when I hold it out most times, so I've been carrying him around the room a little. Flew up on the cupboards now and then but he seems pretty calm.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sounds like he has "claimed" you as his new daddy lol

8)
dan

Post by dan »

yeah he seems happy. He's very quiet though. I don't think I'll bother with a bigger cage seeing he doesn't really live in it anymore. Just at nights.

here's a pic

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

He is a very handsom little man :)

He looks like one of my blues.

Nice one.

8)
dan

Post by dan »

this post keeps going....
I just bought a new avery. I'm not going to mention the price! but It looks pretty good and I'm very happy with it. It has wheels, and a big, wide door which I wanted. I'll need to tie closed some of the small feeding doors though. Pretty spoilt for someone that may only be staying with me for a few months. I think I'll probably keep him if he's happy still after winter.
Bella

Post by Bella »

dan wrote:this post keeps going....
I just bought a new avery. I'm not going to mention the price! but It looks pretty good and I'm very happy with it. It has wheels, and a big, wide door which I wanted. I'll need to tie closed some of the small feeding doors though. Pretty spoilt for someone that may only be staying with me for a few months. I think I'll probably keep him if he's happy still after winter.

Sounds like someone is falling in love :lol: I dont blame you he is gorgeous :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Briony

Post by Briony »

awwww he is a spunky boy
julie

Post by julie »

ha ha I told ya he was tame :wink: try saying things like step up and put your arm out to see if he steps up, and scratch scratch and see if he will let you scratch his head.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Good job on the bird Dan. I have found several birds in my time (birds are attracted to aviaries especially) and rarely it seems the owners bother to look for it in a serious manner.

I am very happy to see you didnt leave him to venture alone. Here in Adelaide, my birds cope quite well in safe contained aviaries, however I could guarantee you nothing in the wild would be able to keep these fellas safe in the windy very cold days and nights in winter. They are just too conditioned to a nice life to survive properly on their own. Ringnecks.. being flock birds.. I would almost guarantee you he didnt have friends in the wild... else he would def not stray far.

I know several situations where ringneck flocks have invaded farms (mostly happens in WA) and these flocks are more often than not shot at (realisticly speaking... non native birds destroying crops = bad news for everyone). Just like corellas, they are pretty... but pests here. Hence why Australia also has some of the worlds most strict inport policies (ie... we dont import) :P

I am sure you are in for years of fun to come. Companions come in a variety of nature, and more often, however friendly he is up close, im sure he loves it and will have more than enough character to keep you smiling in time to come.

Again, good job, and good luck.
dan

Post by dan »

Thanks Guys.

Thanks Julie, he definitely wasn't tame the first day I got him but he's been remarkable. Even when I took him for a check up she said it would take about a month for him just to get use to my hand going in the cage to feed him
but he passed that stage already in about the 8 days! I’m not sure how she could tell but she said he’s never been in a cage or handled before and is roughly 2 years old.

He flys around the house pretty good though and goes to bed in his own cage on his own now.

I still can’t touch him with my bare hand though.
Ed Loschi

Congratulations

Post by Ed Loschi »

Congrats on the great irn find, he's a really god looking fid.
I hope you decide to keep him when the spring season comes around.
Good catch.
dan

Post by dan »

Well I have to keep him for at least 4 months now. The vet clipped the first 3 I think, feathers on his wings. It didn't seem to make any difference. I don't think it was necessary.

I do want to keep him now though. Unless he is really miserable after 4 - 5 months, then I'll let him go. Although I'm not suppose to. Even if I did, I think if I put the new cage outside he may return to sleep ( he's doing that already inside)

I might get in the habit of only feeding him when he goes in the cage.
julie

Post by julie »

:D I thought you might keep him :D they are really cool birds to have. Try talking to him . Have you named him yet ?
dan

Post by dan »

I looked up the indian word for blue which is Nila. Being an indian blue bird I thought it was perfect. ( nee lah)
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya, worst comes to worst, do not let it go, even if you must get rid of it, there are plenty of people around Australia who can find it a good home breeding or just freeflying in spare aviaries.

That way you dont have to worry about it passing away from one of many outcomes that face a stand out blue bird in the wild and you dont break the law and contribute to Australias already problematic non native bird flocks making life hell for a fair few farmers around the country.

People like myself would happily provide a good life for a ringneck, especially after a bill of good health from a vet. I do hope you keep him, just i beg you not to just let the guy fly off..
dan

Post by dan »

Do you know if there is a way to train him NOT to fly away too far and come back in the house after? I'd be curious to know if anyone has a free flying bird as a pet.
Fah

Post by Fah »

You can, you honestly need to start from a young age. Its called "free-flying" and its only for short spurts of fun in the open air.

I know three people who free-fly (birds only spend 1-3 hours outside) and they have all lost birds to hawks, once or twice to startled birds who dont know how to get back.

We have quite a few hawks (even though you dont see them, they are around) in Australia, even in dense suburban populations. Ringnecks of various mutation (ie; blue) stand out like crazy and semi to fully tame birds are often easy pickings for wild birds of prey.

I would be incredibly suprised if your ringneck would be able to safely find your home regularly and repeatedly.

Take note, the only free flying pet, where it had no cage to go home to be locked up into at night etc that I have ever known of, was a cockatoo, a native which is perfectly legal. And that was in a rural environment. Cockatoo's are also quite self sufficient on their own.

I am not trying to sound like an arse here, but you sound as if this bird actually would be "better off" or "happier" or even "natural" to be out of a cage. These birds are unsuited, though can "manage" on their own in flocks, given the right crops / non native food plants around. This bird is not in any means naturally viable as a lone bird in a rural / suburban environment they are flock animals. Nor is it "better off", "happier" or "natural" to have it do so.
dan

Post by dan »

You may have a point about the Hawks. I've seen one near here unfortunately but the ringneck has been surviving fine for 5ish months outside till now.

You are also right about me thinking he may be happier flying outside in the yard again. I have no doubt about him finding my house though. I saw him at the shopping centre one time which is 15min walk away, so I assume he followed me. He squawked and I looked up and saw him.

But all this is a maybe, so far he seems very happy flying around the house. ( Thank god I mainly have tiles ) He's pretty clean though.

Now and then he calls out to the crows in the yard when he sees them. He use to hang with them.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

What a beauty! I think my Magellan may just have a little crush. She has been in an aviary for about six months now, but still wants a cuddle and a ride on my shoulder (in the cage or in the house, not to worry). Sounds like your boy is coming along well. Congrats!
MCS
dan

Post by dan »

Nila seems to be ok but he isn't letting me touch him yet. He steps up but then flys away. He will take food from me though. But sometimes when he hears the crows he calls out to them and misses being with them. I feel he's a bit bored and lonely. If I get him a friend, a female green IRN

how long before I put them in the same cage?

Do I need to give her a seprate bed in the cage?

Is this a good idea?
laine

Post by laine »

Hi Dan, what a gorgeous boy you have there. You said you feel he is bored and lonely. Have you got toys for him to play with. MIrrors can help although everyone has a different opinion about them. These birds do like to play and throw things around, great toys that he can chew on, plastic balls he can throw around (similar to cat balls you can buy in a $2 shop) mine loves them. As a treat my Smokey has a small mirror I give to him - we call it the pretty bird, so if he has been a good boy I say to him "do you want to play with the pretty bird?" and he goes nuts till I give him the mirror and then he plays with his reflection and talks to it :lol: I don't leave it accessible for him as he is my pet and very interactive with people. Do check out the toys though, I am sure he will love them. Good luck with your new friend. :D
Fah

Post by Fah »

another bird at that stage in the training and i can nearly guarantee you it will go backwards and might not even progress :/

toys etc are very important to pets, esp birds, and for your bird maybe even running a radio on when noone is around is a good idea for noise :D
dan

Post by dan »

ok thanks. I might hold off on that then.

I've bought some more toys for him. Mirror, balls, few cat toys, bells. He doesn't seem to touch them yet though.

But I brought his cage outside this morning and he seemed much more active. Eating, pruning etc. I might do this more often.

He seemed happier when he came in and flew out of the cage. He actually let me scratch him. :)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

give him a chance to get to know the toys and realise that he can actually play with them. i bought my fid a massive rope toy and he didnt touch it for about 2 months and now he sleeps on it, uses the top as a table, and preen's the rope hehe.

maybe birds react to sun the way we do? i know my fid likes to have his cage in the sun too. Vitamin D from the sun makes us happy, maybe it does them too :D
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

thiis thread could turn into a good book THE STORY OF NILA THE WILD IRN LOL I'm glad to hear that he's coming around nicly for you He is obviously not a wild bird he came to your yard everyday because he was looking for someone to feed him and love him you would have never been able to catch a trully wild bird he belonged to someone before you and to let him go would be wrong. I put my birds ouside in the sun three or four times a week the need the vitamin D3 to matabulize calcium which is a big part of keeping a bird healthy. I also use uv lights in the winter. Your bird is absolutly gorgous. If he where mine there is no way I'd be giving him up to the wild or anything for love or money He would be staying mine till I die. And then he would be in my will to be passed down to my children just like the rest of my birds.
dan

Post by dan »

Well I didn't catch him with my hands :lol: but I wont be letting him go now.
I think he escaped from a breeder and hadn't been handled before.
I can scratch his back now sometimes.
I can't go near his chest or head or he flys away. Hopefully he'll get friendlier as the time goes by.

He seems friendly with my dog though. or maybe just his food!

I was nervous about leaving them alone together the first few weeks but I have for almost 2 months now and they get along great. Quite often he
eats out of the same dish.

He's pretty independent. I tied the cage door so it can't shut anymore. He used to shut it on his own!

All I do it change the tray and feed him. The rest he does himself.

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thats a really great cage.

Your little dog looks like he is scared of heights lol.

Good to hear that he lets you give scratches.
Doing a great job with him.
Keep up the good work!

8)
dan

Post by dan »

haha yes he looks a bit scared. I put him up there for the photo.

Btw Does anyone know what an open mouth means? He does this when my dog's eating usually. Walks up to him with his mouth wide open.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:wink: He looks so happy with the new home! Your dog looks scared of him haha.
Just a word of warning.. I would be very cautious of your dog around him. Even though they may seem okay together and you might know your dog very well, a dog can easily and more often accidently snap if your new birdie 'investigates' him with a curious sharp beak. I'd not advise leaving them alone together at all. Also eating food together is highly dangerous. Dog and cat saliva is deadly to birds. Even when it seems like its okay, its not!
Also I know sometimes we dont have anywhere to put a big cage, but air cons are also a danger, if hes under a cold draft.
I'm not trying to lecture you, just trying to educate. Sorry! Bottom line, dogs and birds dont mix. Be very cautious.
An open beak can mean alot of things. Depending on the situation. Ive noticed my 2 do this when I'm eating.. I think its their way of saying 'Can I have some too?' :lol: If there is no obvious aggression (growling, pinning of the eyes, head puffed up). He might be saying 'Gimme some too?'. Just a guess.
If hes aggressive, he might be just saying 'Thats MINE!'.
Its wonderful he lets you touch his back now. Sounds like hes coming around to you. Somtimes they can just have certain no go areas. My 8 y.o wont let me touch certain parts of him still, even though he lets me pet his head and sometimes tummy, he doesnt like me to touch his back or tail. I'm still trying to pet my 2 y.o. Shes a tough cookie!
Goodluck and keep us posted on his progress! :wink:
dan

Post by dan »

Thanks so much Lauren. I'll stop letting him eat out of my dog's bowl - but that's going to be hard! Don't worry about the air con, it's wheeled there for the photo. The other wall had too much light outside for a pic. Separating them would be difficult though. The bird doesn’t like being locked in his cage and I can’t lock my dog outside. If anything I’d be more worried about the bird biting and hurting the dog, but I haven’t ever seen him bite either. Plus he’s a good flyer. Perhaps if I go out for a long time I could shut the bird in another room. I think the best thing would be just not to leave any food in the dog bowl while I'm away.
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

Its nice to see that your dog gets along with the bird My dogs get along fine with my birds also mind you My little Cockateil has a habit of landing on my Shith-zu and my Shith-zu get scared and runs and hides under one of the big bird cages. at the same time though if that little Cockateil is on the floor she will stay right beside him to make sure noone steps on him by accident. she's very much a mother hen to him.
dan

Post by dan »

That's really cool Raja's_mom, to be honest I have no worries at all with my dog hurting him. He doesn't even chew his plush toys. I have ones of his 5 years old without a scratch on them. He seems to just like carrying them around. The bird on the other hand - he's destroyed two toys already.