One or Two RNs? Or maybe none at all

Moderator: Mods

tequilaiam

One or Two RNs? Or maybe none at all

Post by tequilaiam »

Hi all,

I am contemplating getting a pet bird for myself and fiance (you have to make sure you can keep an animal alive before having kids right?)

Anyhow, IRNs came up when looking at lovebirds and I found a breeder somewhat close.

Anyway, I have a somewhat long working schedule but the lady doesn't, however it would be nice to take a weekend vacation and a single Lovebird sounds too needy and a pair sounds like they don't bond with humans and therefore wouldn't be such rewarding pets.

SO my question is: Would 2 IRNs still bond with people but keep eachother entertained enough that the occasional hectic schedule wouldn't make them depressed? Or would they be like lovebirds and only want to associate with eachother?

BTW, I had a cockateil when I was younger and he lived a pretty happy life so I'm familiar with birds somewhat. The fiance isn't but likes animals in general - the more cuddly and affectionate the better.

A bird seems ideal because we have a decent sized house but a small yard so a dog isn't the first thing I want to get.

Any help and input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
julie

Post by julie »

I would start with one first. Try to get a hand tame young bird.
tequilaiam

Post by tequilaiam »

Thanks for the input. This brings me to another question: how do IRNs do if another playmate is introduced later in life? For example, dogs are great when they grow up together but if there's a one dog household and another, younger animal is introduced later you have issues in the fact that one animal is at a different stage of life than the other. Kinda like a 40 yr old and a 20 yr old being roomates....it can be cordial but not ideal. Are IRNs the same way?
MrsVanPelt

Post by MrsVanPelt »

From what I understand IRNs don't usually get along in pairs IN THE SAME CAGE. So you'd always have to make sure you have two enclosures, two sets of toys, etc just in case they don't get along.

I really would recommend getting just one bird. It'll be easier to bond with and learn how to care for.
Proud wife of Rocky, Mother toMarley (IRN), JayBird and Cally (Rats), Jebadiah (Mouse), Rasta and Reggae (Bearded Dragons). Auntie to Princess (Poodle)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

im agreeing with the one bird idea, they love attention and you need to be able to give it attenton, if yo have two and a big job life you might forget to give one attention or give one more than the other which they dont like.
Sharlene and Amazon