IRNs and Dogs

Moderator: Mods

MrsVanPelt

IRNs and Dogs

Post by MrsVanPelt »

Do any of you live with dogs and an IRN? How do you deal with the two being in the same household?

My roommate has a 4 pound poodle (definitely not my choice of dog!) who is NOT trained in any way. The roommate never even bothered to potty train it (and then leaves me to clean up the messes... can you tell I'm bitter?). ANYWAY, I'm worried about the two together. Because of the potty issue the dog is supposed to be either in the roommate's bedroom or backyard when roommate is not home, but she always "forgets" to close the door. The IRN is in our great room. We live in a newer construction house so the living room, dining room, kitchen, a foyer are all one big giant room. No doors (except the ones outside). Since the dog is not trained telling her "no" won't work worth poo.

I will of course never have the IRN out when I'm not home, but accidents happen and if I ever forget to close the cage tight or whatever... well... I don't want to have to worry about it. Any suggestions?
Proud wife of Rocky, Mother toMarley (IRN), JayBird and Cally (Rats), Jebadiah (Mouse), Rasta and Reggae (Bearded Dragons). Auntie to Princess (Poodle)
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

I just brought home Ace this friday and I have a 17 lb pug mix named Mya. She is great though, always has been gentle around birds and other animals. She is very well trained (I didnt really have to train her, it was like she just knew how to be a good dog LOL). Ace has already tried to jump on her back a few times, she moves out of the way but that is about it.

I don't really have great advice for you, because if your roomate is as careless as she sounds, there is no telling when the dog will be inside and close enough to your IRN if it got out. Maybe just re-inforce your birds cage doors with a clip.. like those clips that hold the toys on the cage with the spinning fastner? You can keep them on all the doors and just make sure its on the main door when you leave the house. It will be a pain but soon it should become habbit.

Good luck!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

We have two little clips on Spit's main door (he escaped from his old one a couple of time), and we also have a padlock, which is locked tight) on the side door. I agree with Sweet Oliver about them. they do work well.

Also.. about the dog. How does the dog react to other animals? like fast moving ones like cats? im just worried incase your bird does get out and moves from the dog fast. and does your roommate know not to get your bird out of the cage when you arent home?, or to make sure she remembers to put the dog out? lol. sounds like a stupid thing and that shed already know, but like you say and we all know, accidents do happen
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

We have 4 dogs a golden retriever, a beagle, a boxer , and a mutt. So they are all over 60 lbs expect the beagle and they are all in the house. I just let the dogs and bird work it out. Its not like the dog can hurt the bird through the wire. Mine runs back and fourth on the bottom of the cage when the dogs are near and they play. The bird gives kisses to the dogs.

Animals have a way of working them selves out. Just i would not advise getting the bird out with the dogs. Dogs are predators. (some of them)
-Justin
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

We have a dog and cat, Amazon is out of his cage all day and the dog and cat are both inside, Amazon will climb off his cage and walk round the house looking for everyone, its so cute, he will go up to the dog and attack her nose and then carry on walking. I havent yet had a problem adn yes before everyone jumps on the bandwagon they are watched closely.

Its up to you what you do with your fid and dog, just what ever you do keep an eye on it
Sharlene and Amazon
MrsVanPelt

Post by MrsVanPelt »

Well we experimented this morning just to see what would happen. I had the dog and let Marley (I'm 90% sure that's going to be his name) running around on the ground. Princess just sort of looked at him at first, then got bored and went back to try giving me kisses. Then when Marley approached us she got kind of scared and backed into me. When I let the dog go both dog and bird ignored each other UNTIL Marley decided to try to fly. Then Princess kind of perked up and went over to investigate... but I got nervous and wouldn't let her get close.

Are these good signs that they'll someday be able to get along? My mom pointed out that her childhood bird used to ride around on the head of the family dog. I'd love for the two to get along like that.

Oh, and btw, when Marley stands up straight he's actually taller then the dog! I think that's why she's afraid of him. She's a chicken.
Proud wife of Rocky, Mother toMarley (IRN), JayBird and Cally (Rats), Jebadiah (Mouse), Rasta and Reggae (Bearded Dragons). Auntie to Princess (Poodle)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

hahahaa i was worried about the bird flying away fast incase the dog thought it was a game or instinct kicked in and something terrible happened. if they dont seem to be too bothered about each other then all should be fine. i'd give them a few more of your supervised meetings though :)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

MrsVanPelt wrote:Well we experimented this morning just to see what would happen. I had the dog and let Marley (I'm 90% sure that's going to be his name) running around on the ground. Princess just sort of looked at him at first, then got bored and went back to try giving me kisses. Then when Marley approached us she got kind of scared and backed into me. When I let the dog go both dog and bird ignored each other UNTIL Marley decided to try to fly. Then Princess kind of perked up and went over to investigate... but I got nervous and wouldn't let her get close.

Are these good signs that they'll someday be able to get along? My mom pointed out that her childhood bird used to ride around on the head of the family dog. I'd love for the two to get along like that.

Oh, and btw, when Marley stands up straight he's actually taller then the dog! I think that's why she's afraid of him. She's a chicken.

Sounds good, they might one day become friends yes, my boy use to ride the dog a smaller one that what we got now, but i would still never leave them alone together unless i was watching.
Sharlene and Amazon
Melika

Post by Melika »

We have four dogs, three over 50lbs and one mini dachshund. Two dogs were pre-birds and two were after (the dachshund was one) we already had them. I did the same thing with all of them: first guage their interest (which you have done) and so far your case is very promising.

Each time the dog shows interest, discipline them. For most dogs all you need is a disapproving sound and a touch (not hitting- just a touch... like a gentle poke). Once they ignore the bird I'll hold the bird and make it flap it's wings. Wing flapping is a HUGE trigger for the dog's instinct to hunt/snap. Discipline when the dog looks at the bird or shows too much interest; ears perking, etc. The dog will then practice avoidance by purposely not looking at the bird and that's what we're looking for. Once they ignore the wing flapping I let the bird bite the dog on the nose (just once) and then we're good.

Sounds mean to let the bird bite the dog, but I do it for two reasons. 1: the bird knows it can bite the dog and make it go away. It will be less likely to run from the dog, which would the dog to give chase. 2: the dog will know the bird means business when it reaches and will always leave a decent radius for the bird (less stepping on tail feathers this way).

Our birds can steal the bones from the dogs, and the dogs will leave them alone. Every once in a while one of the dogs will bump them on the back when they're being too cheeky but for the most part they avoid those beaks! I can't tell you how many times one of the birds has flapped wildly and I see the dog's jaw work to open and turn it's head- just before realizing what it's doing and keeping it's mouth shut. Sometimes the birds fly directly into their faces, and you can see the dog fighting it's instinct. I'm happy they're trained so well. :lol:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
chipossesue

Post by chipossesue »

HI-
As a veterinary nurse and owner of dogs and birds,I offer the following : first,you should do a careful intro of bird to dog-do this in a safe,calm setting,and praise the dog for being calm around the bird-DONT scold dog for showing interest in the bird but say NO if dog makes eachany attempt to mouth or grab bird. Its important to avoid making dog jealous of birds attention from you. Give dog a treat as someone else brings the bird into the dogs sight-do this repeatedly so that dog sees bird as a positive presence.Above all,tho-NEVER leave bird alone w/dog-even in play a dog no matter how small, can injure or kill a bird-and a bird can put a dogs eye out in a heartbeat!
I believe the ASPCA has online info on introduction of pets--- Good Luck! Oh- and as for housebreaking-It CAN be done no matter what age or breed-the BEST method is crate training-but it MUST be consistent!