Loki wont eat......

Moderator: Mods

Photoguy77

Loki wont eat......

Post by Photoguy77 »

My baby IRN will simply not eat. It is at the age where it doesnt want handfeeding formula anymore, so i have slowly introduced new foods (I soak a little Zupreem in some water, as well as a chopped up mix of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and peas) The bird will not eat any of it.

Im am having to forcefeed the formula cause if i dont, he wont eat. Ive left the new foood in cage throughout the day, and when i return from work it's all still there. Ie even gone as far as counting the pieces in the morning and again when i return home.

At one point it would go to the bowl and put the food in its mouth , kinda roll it around on its tongue, but ultimately just drop it back in the bowl...did this to about 20 pieces as i wacthed from a distance.

Any advice on how to spark its interest in new food, and finally weening him. Cause if it doesnt want formula or pellets and vegetables, what am i to do?

Thanks in advance.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

first off whats his age?
Sharlene and Amazon
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Depending on its age, it may be trying to wean itself ready to leave the nest.

Do you moniter its weight everyday before feed time?

How much do you feed it?

When my babies go through the weaning stage and I have introduced new "grownup" :) foods , I "pick" at the food with my fingers and let it drop back into the dish. I have found that curiosity gets the better of them and they just HAVE to know what it is and how it tastes. Most times at the very begining they spit it back out again, but over a few days they have realized that the food actually TASTES yummy and eventually DEMAND it! lol

Also depending on how old the chick is, there may be an underlying problem.
If at all worried, you could see your vet. :)

8)
leo

Post by leo »

i have the similar problem with my tiel last time

let him try ,millet spray, he will love it, after he start to chew, then you can intro him to veg or pellet..

usually parrot love millet spray as much as they love themselves, lol

i will put diffrent type of food, pellet, and veg, once he start to chew the spray, by then his curiosity has grown...if you dont put pellet, you will have hard time changing him to pellet eater next time

usually mllet spay is used for weaning here...

unles of any health prob, i think this method work well
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Photoguy77

Post by Photoguy77 »

The bird is 13 weeks old. I have tried introducing an "adult" foods, but he wont have anything to do with it. He even turns his nose up to the millet spray.

One thing Ive noticed is that right after I feed him, he spits some of it back up. So im thinking its maybe a crop infection of some sort? Cause he will try to take some of the new foods and taste them, but then drop them....maybe cause his throat hurts and cant swallow? When I say he has NO interest in food, thats an understatement.

I have a a Vet visit tomorrow, hopefully its just a small infection and some antibiotics will fix this. At least I hope thats the problem. **crosses fingers**

Also, there has been no change in behavior or activity, he doesnt just perch nor become immobile like most birds do when they are ill.

Im just worried...Ive raised MANY birds (father was a part time breeder) and Ive never had this problem, and I love this little guy so much, I dont wanna lose him.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

hope the vet trip goes well and its nothing serious. keep us updated
Photoguy77

Post by Photoguy77 »

Vet visit went good, they couldnt really see anything wrong. Fecal exam, gram stain, and crop sawb, all turn out normal.

Vet agreed with me it could be a slight infetion, so for the next 5 days i have to squirt some cherry flavored meds (called Baytril) in his mouth. Hopefully this will get Loki back up to speed and wanting to eat again.

I keep this thread posted.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Great news!!

8)