Molting Issue

Moderator: Mods

celtic_aura

Molting Issue

Post by celtic_aura »

Good God how long do IRNs molt for??????? Gi Gi bird has been molting for almost two months now. First it was just the little down like white fluff but now he is losing feathers and his head is all scruffy. But he's unbelievably nasty and attacks me whenever I go near. I'm hoping it's just because he's molting. But how long do they molt for?
julie

Post by julie »

can you see any pin feathers coming through?
They do tend to get a little cranky during a molt. Are you able to get some aloe juice, it helps to stop the itching that comes with the molt.
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

His head is full of pin feathers. Would I just put the aloe juice in a spray bottle and squirt him? He hates when I do that, but I do it a couple of times a day with warm water. And cranky doesn't begin to describe it! Anytime I try to open his door he lunges swings off of it and tries to eat my hand.
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

I would also love to know how long and also how often irn's molt. I understand what you're going through as my Tricky has just started another molt (last one was in February!). Last time he was cranky and scruffy...this time he is boisterous and scruffy. In the last two days he has taken to climbing on top of my head and biting my ears....ouch. He either wants to stay in his cage all day long or he wants to be out all day long...there seems to be no in between. He isn't napping during the day and gets cranky with me for not giving him the food he thinks he has to have. Please tell me it won't be this way for two months :shock: