How to gain trust

Moderator: Mods

Auron

How to gain trust

Post by Auron »

Hi everyone, i finally got my irn
We called him Vikram and i believe he's a male as even though he is too young to exhibit his ring, i do see some bit of black
I got him yesterday and the seller said to me that he was approx 3-4 months
I clipped his wings today and i think that because of this, he actually hates me now.The actual wing clipping did not hurt him though and i know that his wings are well clipped since i did this numerous times before
He wont go around his cage ,will try biting when i put my hands outside of the cage near him, freaks out when i put my hands in the cage and has not vocalised yet since i got him
I would really be thankful if anyone could help me gain his trust
Thanks in advance
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Well hs is only a baby and still getting use to these new surounding.

I beleive you need to just sit next to the cage talking with him and givin ghim food between the bars letting him take it out of your hand, as he gets closer and closer you can start opening the cage door still sitting there and letting him/her come out of his/her own without trying to touch, just hold you hand in reach with a treat and when s/he takes the treat prise her/her, dont go grabbing till s/he is trusting to come near you.

This will take a few weeks or a mth to master and get the taste just member that most birds go though this.

Good to see you clipped the wings this means they have to depend on you more to get places.

Good luck and welcome to the boards
Sharlene and Amazon
Auron

Post by Auron »

well, when i put my hands near him through the bars, he just goes to the other side of the cage
and he wont come out of his cage
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Auron wrote:well, when i put my hands near him through the bars, he just goes to the other side of the cage
and he wont come out of his cage

Maybe just sit there with no hands in cage or near cage just talking to him though bars, if you open the cage and move away watch if he comes out of not, it will be a long process, and it wont be easy but if you wont trust you need to have time, some birds hate hands and fingers go up to the cage with your hands behind your back.

Play little trust games, with him in the cage you looking at him, close your eyes for a short time and then open them slowly. you are better than him so your a threat, give it time.
Sharlene and Amazon
Auron

Post by Auron »

Thanks for the tips
He did come out and explored the house a little
was a hard time putting him back though and i got bit several time but i got used to it
I also tried to pay this little game you talked about and when i opened my eyes, he was actually trying to do the same and was almost sleeping
He continues to try to bite me when i put my hand or face near the cage but i think it's mainly because of his bad mood since he did not sleep much last night
I think I'll just let him rest now
and thanks again,he's just so diff from my previous cockatiel
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Yup every IRN are different, like i didnt have problems with my baby at all, if he is biting dont pull away or yell, scream or anything as it will turn into a game too, and wont ever stop the biting.

When you can get him out of the cage do step ups with him from one finger to another finger saying the comander you want to use some use the work step up others use up etc your choice your baby.

Im glad he is trying to play the game iwth you for eye closing.

Does he have toys and things he can destroy in his cage?
Sharlene and Amazon
julie

Post by julie »

Curiosity gets to them pretty quick. sit somewhere near the cage and eat a packet of chips or something that will get his attention, but don't act like you are interested in what he is doing.

We have a female that I pulled out of one of the aviaries because she was getting picked on, she is in my dinning room and has gotten used to us being around, she is still a little jumpy but she isn't too bad for a wild bird.
Auron

Post by Auron »

He does have a rope which i put there for him to climb an chew on
I'm working on getting other toys for him right now
Does anyone have some ideas as to what i might put in his cage?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Does anyone have some ideas as to what i might put in his cage?

Be creative and make your own toys out of popcycle sticks, beads. leather rope, baby toys work great too such as baby blocks. baby keys, anything with lots of bright colors. Wood toys are great for them to keep their beaks in good condition.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Auron

Post by Auron »

How will i know if they are toxic?
an update: he now sleeps in front of me and will come out of it's cage on it's own
He bites less too :o
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Auron wrote:How will i know if they are toxic?
an update: he now sleeps in front of me and will come out of it's cage on it's own
He bites less too :o

Well done on your progress.

Toxic, most toys you get from pet stores are fine, other toys you just check the backs and see whats in them, if your not sure look them up or some and talk to someone we are happy to help, with wood toys make sure the paint is non toxic paint and no lead
Sharlene and Amazon
Auron

Post by Auron »

Thanks
I'll keep you updated
Donna

Post by Donna »

If your making your own wood toys always paint them with vegetable food dye, and Pine wood is safe to make toys out of. You can also use pinecones and coconut shells.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Auron

Post by Auron »

Is mango tree wood safe?
I guess i'll just go search for some pinecones then
Auron

Post by Auron »

He now eats from my hand :D even when i put my hand in the cage
He still bites though and does not come near the hand when there's no food
I also discovered that his favorite food was sunflower seeds
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

yup thats a IRN for you most of them love sunflower seeds lol they make great treats
Sharlene and Amazon