New to ringnecks, male has a plucking issue

Moderator: Mods

trixietb

New to ringnecks, male has a plucking issue

Post by trixietb »

i was just given a pair of ringnecks, they have 1 egg they are working on. i have experience with many different kinds of birds, this is my first plucker and my first ringneck. the story that came with them is that they got him as a pair and at some point his lady died, they got him a new lady who he mates with but ever since his first lady died he plucks his chest / neck / back area. Any ideas?????
[img][img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/trixietb/100_2856.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/trixietb/100_2861.jpg[/img][/img]
Bella

Post by Bella »

Is he tame at all?
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
IndianRingneckBoy

Post by IndianRingneckBoy »

Do yu smoke becouse if yu do it can be that
IRN - Koi
Cats - Ozzy,Marely,Chester
trixietb

Post by trixietb »

hes not tame at all he has a fit if you go in the cage. she was hand raised. no smoking in the house either. im hopeing a change of environment will help him, i spend alot of time with my other birds. they didnt come with much in their cage. 2 perches and 2 toys in a 3ft tall cage. weve only had then since yesterday so maybe he'll get over it??? my other birds are loaded with toys and branches and stuff.
Bella

Post by Bella »

This may be a help to you as there are many reasons why he might be plucking http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww4eii.htm
Is he living outside or inside?
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
trixietb

Post by trixietb »

inside next to window. they seem to like the sunlight.
Bella

Post by Bella »

do you have any other pets that maybe could be stressing him? Has a vet checked him over to see ifs its a health issue? Sorry for all the questions id just like to try and help
trixietb

Post by trixietb »

like i said weve only had them for a day. the prior home ran out of ideas with him, it started when his first mate died, the second mate didnt stop the plucking. i dont know how long it was between girlfriends. i have to try and find a bird vet around here.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

That poor boy, mites maybe? or the new gf is stressing him, he might like to be alone for a while without her, not sure.

Sorry mate i hope you find out whats casuing it
Sharlene and Amazon
Donna

Post by Donna »

A vet check is a must to rule out any major illnesses. Do you have these birds quarantined away from your other birds? Raging hormones and poor diet would be my suspicions but do a vet check to be sure.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
trixietb

Post by trixietb »

they are on the opposite side of the room from my others. she is not affected by what ever it is. i am looking for a vet in town, i live over 60mi from the nearest city so its going to be a chalange. we are a very hot climate and we are in the heat of summer so getting to a vet with out cooking the bird is going to present a problem. even ac in the car dosnt always keep up with the heat. hopefully i can find a vet with an early appt time. is pulling him out for several house going to disrupt the female???
Donna

Post by Donna »

Having these 2 new birds in the same room with your existing flock is very dangerous.

Birds do not show illness alot of times until they are put in a stressful situation. This is stressful on them to be taken from one environment and put in a completely different one. I would take both birds to the vet because they have been living together for a long time. Kind of makes me wonder why his first mate died. I would not let them breed and lay eggs right now till you find out what these birds have been exposed to and they have a clean bill of health.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Ed Loschi

How you and your fid get along with this plucking problem.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Hey,

My male Irn has been plucking similarly to yours, except that my fid just snips off the colored portion of the feather and leaves the downy white part alone.

He started a few years ago with just a small area plucked at the top of his chest, a year later (after a nice healthy molt) he snipped all around his neck--it looked like he was wearing a white turtleneck sweater; then after that and for the last two years (though he has healthy molts and the feathers come in beautifully) he has been snipping his chest and back.

He is starting his molt just these past weeks and I can feel pin feathers, he is also showing a great deal of interest in the female for the first time since she came aboard two years ago.

So we will see what he does this time around. He's perfectly healthy just a little obsessed with the colored portion of the feathers on his chest and back. It would be great to see him in full plumage though.

Good luck with your Irn, I'll be watching this thread to see how you and your fid get along with this plucking problem.