TAMING ZACK

Moderator: Mods

warning

TAMING ZACK

Post by warning »

i have here a new irn named zack i try to tame him juzt a while ago and it amazed me because at 15min he learned to step up already with out getting me bite.....
the problem is when i take him out of his cage....
i force him to take out by wearing a gloves and getting him outside to his cage then start training....
is it ok to do that although if he is cooperating wth me after i took him out ??

and another is zack a little scared of other foods like veggies and fruits...
what will i do to make him eat veggies and fruits coz i dont want zack eats seeds only.... by the way zack is only 2months and half.....
thanks for all your help guys....
zack and me really appreciate it..... ^__________^
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

For starters i would get rid of the gloves these scare the birds, if he is stepping up with no problem then you shouldnt have to scare him out of his cage you might be ablet o hold your hand it there adn get him to step up on it. Another option open the cage and let him out on his own and let him explore then try and get him from teh cage with your hands.

As for veges and fruit you could try small bits in his seed bowl or hang the veges and fruit on a kebab stick and just let it hang in reach he may get use to it then explore it, or you could try adn eat some in front of him and then give him some so he knows it is food and safe to eat, then they will learn what goes in your mouth they want too.

Hope this helps im sure others will be along to help out too

Edit* I pushed the submit button before i could say, welcome and by your picture he is very very cute
Sharlene and Amazon
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

yeah. Amazon is right ^_^

Eat a bit of what your trying to give him in front of him, IRN's are unbelievebly curious and nosey. If he see's you eating it then he'll definately want it. It works with Spit even if we pretend, we hold the food up to our mouths and look like idiots prentendin to eat it and saying "mmmm Spit, this is lovely" and he immediately wants it.

Spit will step up on to a perch outside of his cage, but not inside the cage. We open the door and let him come out on his own and climb to the top, and then we approach him with a perch for him to step up on.

Can i ask where you train him? If you have a play stand or anything?
warning

Post by warning »

oh...i dont have a play stand for him....
but i train him in a bird proof room...
my problem is to find another way to get him out of his cage with out me forcing him.....
but zack now loves to be petted and he loves to be scratch...
do you think guys its an progress right??
should i stick with my method or should not??
any comments guys?? thanks in advance and happy birding... ^______^
greeny

Post by greeny »

Sometimes you can get him out of his cage by having him step up on a stick and then carrying that stick out with him on it. This often works.

Use the same words when you take him out of the cage, like "come out" and then step him up on a stick . When he comes out give him a treat he likes, like a peanut. He will soon come out no problem.
warning

Post by warning »

ahh....ok.... il try that....
for know the only thing that i know he likes is sweet corn....
im gonna use for training..... ^___________^
bec

Post by bec »

kieron doesnt like step ups for coming out of his cage (or for any reason just yet so i trained him when i open his cage i say ok kieron fly out!
and he does then i tell him how wonderful he is & as soon as he lands i walk up & give hime a treat
to put him back in the cage i either hang a corn cob on a fruit spike & say corn for kieron or say kieron bedtime got to bed now &(most times) he does again good boy treat
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

treats on a skewer do work realllly well for getting birds back into the cage. with a bit of a faff on we usually get Spit into his cage using the perch, hes got a big door on his cage so we are lucky, because we have to put the perch in so thats its not near the side of the door otherwise he grabs hold and climbs on and rushes back to the top of his cage -.-
some days its almost impossible so we use the skewer or put something tasty in his food bowl and hes straight back in ^^
warning

Post by warning »

sometimes thats what i do to zack too....
and he gets back to cage if he see a corn.... hehe...
spold little fid..... ^______^