ideal age?

Moderator: Mods

lutino

ideal age?

Post by lutino »

I know it hasnt been long since Lutino died but i really miss her company and was thinking about getting another one in a couple of months. I was just wondering what is a good age to get an IRN? I want to try and get it friendly. Lutino was a fiesty lil thing lol, but i still loved that about her. She was 4 months when i got her.
leo

Post by leo »

may be get those who is almost weaned( 1 feeding) but make sure youknow how to weaned and hand feed properly...

if you are very confortable in handeeding, may be you can get the younger 1( 2-3 handfeeding per day)

from what i believe, they learn new thing as soon as they open their eyes and as soon as they can walk about...

so, you can prevent them learning what ever thing undesirable and plant thse very basic command really deep in their mind like step up command which is very imprtant

however, that does not garenty uhave a loving fid , it still depend on how u treatt the bird

or else, you get those which just weaned, that will be saver...and if you do with it well, you will be most certenly get the loving 1...

thanks
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
julie

Post by julie »

where are you located?
lutino

Post by lutino »

New Zealand. My mums workmate has a baby IRN at the moment just getting its feathers apparently. They have an avary, so i think its one of the offspring, but i think they are keeping it as a family pet.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Firstly, goodluck with finding another baby. It will help with grieving. Not to replace lutino of course but pets can be so thereputic.

If your wanting a young one, it should be fully weaned and fledged if you dont know how to feed a chick. I got my Yoda around 8 weeks old, which is generally when they fledge, breeder told me he was weaned and fledged, but he was still 'playing' with solid food rather than eating it when I got him, but I did get him to eat some mushed vegies with a spoon eventually, this was only for a few days, he then got the hang of seeds and whole vegies after much mess on the floor. Still played with food more than ate it until Jibby showed him how to eat. :roll:

Goodluck. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

lutino wrote:New Zealand. My mums workmate has a baby IRN at the moment just getting its feathers apparently. They have an avary, so i think its one of the offspring, but i think they are keeping it as a family pet.

I would try to get a fairly young weaned hand raised hand tame bird.If it is breeding season there now you may just get lucky 8) good luck with your search.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

lutino wrote:New Zealand. My mums workmate has a baby IRN at the moment just getting its feathers apparently. They have an avary, so i think its one of the offspring, but i think they are keeping it as a family pet.

Im in NZ too, i got Amazon from welly when he was 7 weeks old, he has strceth crop and still hand feeding, we sorted that out by cutting down his feeds and we weaned him when we felt he was ready. I think if you can wean the baby yourself anytime woudl be fine, we got Amazon off trade me, from a breeder, we wanted to take all 3 of their babies as they werent looked after well but we couldnt afford it, so we ended up with only one of them.
Sharlene and Amazon
lutino

Post by lutino »

Cool, i live in the Taranaki area, but im away from home at uni. I really do want to get one in about a month when my exams are over. Im not experienced with baby birds though so im not too sure about hand feeding etc. It would be cool though
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

lutino wrote:Cool, i live in the Taranaki area, but im away from home at uni. I really do want to get one in about a month when my exams are over. Im not experienced with baby birds though so im not too sure about hand feeding etc. It would be cool though

In that case get a baby that has ben weaned and hand tamed and see what happens have a look on trade me there are always babies on there people trying to sell them, mostly breeders.
Sharlene and Amazon
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Charlie Parker came home with me when he was about 12 weeks old--eating solid food on his own but still being handfed twice a day. His previous person gave me a good lesson on feeding, and included several weeks of formula and a clean syringe. I think that part of the reason we bonded so well and that he acclimated so quickly to his new home was due to those twice a day feedings. Within a month he had no more interest in the formula other than it's potential for decorating the cage and himself, but we still enjoy a little fruit snack together each night before he hops on his perch for bedtime.