Odd Sleeping Habits?

Moderator: Mods

rurapente

Odd Sleeping Habits?

Post by rurapente »

Hi All.

Does your bird show any strange sleeping habits? I acquired an IRN from a vet I know. He keeps lost'n'found ones for 3 months and when the owner cannot be tracked he re-homes them.

I have brought mine home (Chilli) and bought him a cage etc. He's settling now very well and is already pretty tame, he comes on my hand and picked up the "step up/step off" commands in a matter of days.

But one thing does concern me. in the day - he sleeps like a normal parrot. However at night, when the lights go off, he heads to thecorner of the cage and clings to the top corner with his two legs and "sleeps" like that for the whole night. I've come through in the early hours of the morning to find him still clinging like that. Surely he cant be sleeping?

I am worried that he is actually not sleeping at all at night. Anyone have any ideas or feedback?

Thanks,

Dimitri
Donna

Post by Donna »

Your ringneck is normal, they do have funny sleeping positions. Mine will have one foot on the side of the cage and another clinging to a toy, he looks like he is doing the splits, and he sleeps all night in that position.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

I have to agree with Donna on this one, Amazon will go to the darkest corner away from everything to sleep and as high up as he can get.
Sharlene and Amazon
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: It amazes me how birds sleep sometimes. My 2 have their usual spot.. but I have caught Jibby sleeping in some yoga position for birds, standing on his wing.. and when he was in love with his toy bell.. he wouldnt sleep until his bell was sitting on his head, like a hat. He also does his nightly claw dance ritual of waving his feet around his head and scratching himself very slowly, muttering 'I love you's. Most nights Yoda likes to jam his head to the top of the cage, so his lil tuffs of head feathers are poking through the bars, sleeping ontop of the circular rope swing, will not sit or sleep on the swing properly.. but whatever works for them! haha Weird birds!
Only thing I can think of is provide a variety of different perches.. but.. they will always find the most uncomfortble looking spot in the cage, so I guess its up to them how they sleep! :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

lets just face it..... IRN fids are totally insane. Jibby sleeping with his bell as a hat?! thats uber hilarious :lol:

Spit usually sleeps on his concrete perch (i think he likes the color blue), but sometimes sleeps on his rope perch - these two are normal - but then occasionally, its like hes scared of something in the cage, and he goes quiet, climbs to the back corner away from us, puts one foot on top of his big wooden toy, one on the side of the cage and stays there til morning. he stares at the floor though like theres a spider or something hes never seen and i sometimes have to clean the cage after midnight to get him to stop it :? and also sometimes he cuddles up to his mirror (hes getting more possesive and in love with it)

i dont understand them half the time.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

I guess with sleeping we start worring when they are hanging from teh top of the cage like a bat to sleep, then we might be concerned that our babies arent IRN but half bat aswell :P
Sharlene and Amazon
bec

Post by bec »

Amazonite wrote:I guess with sleeping we start worring when they are hanging from teh top of the cage like a bat to sleep, then we might be concerned that our babies arent IRN but half bat aswell :P

oh dear im in trouble upside down at the top of the cage is how general sleep during quarantine!!!!!
but once he was out with the others he started sleeping in a semi normal position (at the top of the cage cuddling up to a toy
zivie17

Post by zivie17 »

My IRN Indi sleeps with one foot on the toy and the other on the side of the cage 95% of the time, doesnt look very comfortable but hey keeps Indi happy lol :lol:
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

One morning when I decided to grab a little catnap in my home office Charlie Parker was obviously in the same mood and I caught him several times on his upstairs perch just as his eyes were closing and he was drifting off. You could tell the exact moment sleep set in because his eyes would close and then he would lose his balance a bit and wobble for a few seconds before the perching reflex kicked in and locked him in position. It reminded me a lot of dozing off during early lectures back in college only without that surprised jolt when I'd catch myself and bolt upright. :lol: