Novice

Moderator: Mods

faraday

Novice

Post by faraday »

Hi everyone glad I found this forum...

My daughter wants an indian ring neck....Im planning on getting her one but I was wondering generally what the temperment of these birds are.

Im planning on getting it hand tamed from a breeder...but are these birds affectionate and good natured--which is the type of bird my daughter wants.

Maybe a lovebird would be better for that purpose?
Donna

Post by Donna »

There are other small birds that would be better for your daughter to start out with such as the cockatiel or may be a caique or a conure. Ringnecks even if bought by a breeder that hand fed and tamed them still go through a phase of nipping and biting and thats enough for a young person to just give up on them easily. I would say a ringneck would not be my first choice for a first time bird.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
faraday

Post by faraday »

her last bird was a macaw
Donna

Post by Donna »

and what happen to it? why doesn't she still have a macaw?
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
faraday

Post by faraday »

Well she killed it........just kidding..I dont see how thats very relevant though

It was an old bird...it died
Donna

Post by Donna »

first how old is your daughter if you don't mind me asking?
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
faraday

Post by faraday »

Donna I appreciate your consideration, but did it occur to you that you can leave that to the father?

Macaws are pretty demanding...I highly doubt that this bird will be as much trouble as the greenwing

My concern was with the birds general temperments, btw how long is this bluffing period?
Donna

Post by Donna »

I'm sorry but you did not give much info to your first post so I just assumed that it was a younger person that wanted the ringneck. I had no idea that you had a macaw for your first bird. If you want a cuddle bug for a bird then get a cockatoo.

Birds are what you make them. If you spend alot of time with them then they will have great temperments. Indian ringnecks are macaws in a small package.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
faraday

Post by faraday »

Well she isnt an adult..shes 11

Cockatoo are way too needy....thats why I thought it was ok for a rosering..

Cockatoos have a different temperament to macaws..and even particular types of macaw have variance in their temperments..So it isnt all in the love you give them.

When I was a child I had lots of canaries...try petting those buggers
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Hi Faraday and welcome to the forum.

Donna has given you some good information. IRNs can be sweet and gentle tempered but do have a tendency to be moody and unpredictable.

I have a beautiful hand raised boy who is now 3 and a half years old. Datsun is the most gentle, loving boy when he wants to be but he is also capable of major mood swings and being a feisty bugger :roll:

Ringnecks are HUGE personalities, big birds in small packaging. With Datsun I find he will challenge me on a regular basis and I have to make sure he knows I am BOSS on a daily basis. He is a love-bug but needs daily handling or he gets a bit nippy.

As far as your original question: Temperament is variable based on the individual bird and the handling and boundaries set for him/her.
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi Faraday.
IRNs are known to be moody and unpredictable. But I find it very much depends on the birds personality and how you raise and handle them. They bite as long as you let them bite.

My Jibby is the biggest sooky mummys boy most of the time, we've only seen a change in the last 2 years for a few months in breeding season, where he can be snappy and moody, sometimes I think I know him too well though, hes just so easy to predict 95% of the time.
My Yoda on the other hand, is fiesty, unpredictable and sure of him/herself but I know theres a well behaved bird in there, hes all attitude, because thats all I see. Its all snap and growl, but does as his told after a little tantrum. :roll:

If she could handle a macaw, I think an IRN is just a smaller package. :) But if she doesnt want to deal with the biting, which comes with owning any bird, maybe a smaller bird like a cockatiel would be a better bet.
Educating her on proper care and handling of birds would be a good idea too. I know kids can get carried away with animals. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Hi there

I agree with the last posts, IRN are all very different and your cant say when the bluffing stops or starts it depends on the bird itself.

My boy Amazon bluffed for 3 days and doesnt bite but loves having social time all the time he hates being alone if someone is home he has to be with them doing what they are doing, he doesnt take no for an answer.

It depends on your girl and how much time she wants to spend with the bird, we are all happy to help out when there is a question, but as said it the other posts a IRN is a macaw is a smaller package.
Sharlene and Amazon
laine

Post by laine »

Hi Faraday,
I am not a bird expert by any means, but our home has one IRN and one cockatiel. I have a ringneck who is 2 1/2 and he is a sooky mummys boy. He loves me most but is very social to all family members - strangers are another story. Smokey will bite if he can't get his own way and this seems to be the only time he does it. My son, who is 17, has a cockatiel. He is much moodier than my IRN and is more choosey about who he will and won't be nice to. (By the way,he hates me :lol: ). Like others have said, I think it boils down to the bird, how it's raised, and who it bonds to. I didn't have too much trouble with bluffing - this site helped alot - and I had to establish who was boss. For me it lasted about 4-6 months but got easier at the end. Good luck with your decision.
leo

Post by leo »

yup, donna, lauren and all here are right...

my IRN is way better than my love bird,it because last time, my love bird is my 1st hand rised parrot, so spoiled...but my cockatiel,neverbite me, even once, when he was angry, he just pushed my finger away...andhe love to cudle, and ready to eat anything...

it prety much depend on the bird itself and the personality of the bird...

my irn can be handled in anyway, and the bluffing period is like gone...can whrestle with him now...

so,you can really predict, but, like what mentioned, tiel will be better bet, but the luck and choice and treatment is yours...

good luck
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
inept

Post by inept »

Ringnecks are definitely fiesty birds, but that's what makes them so entertaining. Very few birds of this size have so much personality and intelligence. I highly second Donna's recommendation of a caique, though. If they weren't so damned expensive and hard to find, I'd have bought one instead of a ringneck.

Caiques basically won't talk, but they are very high-energy birds and they love to play alone and with their owners. They tend to be very accepting of lying on their backs, they love to do tricks, they love hanging upside down, etc. Total clowns. They're very even-tempered and very nice pets, and they even look like clowns with their hilarious patchwork feathering.
leo

Post by leo »

what ever bird it is, it depend ofhow u handle them and understand them...

you can say budgie is very suitable for kid, but i saw some are really biter...

it really depend on how u treat them and of coz their natural personality...

irn known as very indipendent bird, but some appear to be as clingy as gray...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
chobah

Post by chobah »

another thing to consider, in the end when your daughter goes to colledge or whatever her endevors are, will you be willing to care for her bird who may be very bonded to her? I hate saying it, but i have seen so many cases of people getting a long lived pet for a child (who may even be very able bodied and adept at caring for the animal)and end up having to bounce the pet around to a new home when the child becomes frustrated or sick of being the target of bluff biting. I have 5 ringnecks, 4 of which are rescues from bad homes, only one have I purchased from a breeder. My older birds all have some sort of behavior issue from being bounced around from one home to another making them very hard to handle exept by me or my husband. My hand raised bird is a complete love bug, almost as clingy as a hemmroid. when I am not home he pines for me, even though he is friendly and socialized to everyone in the house, so now i am the wierdo in the car with a bird on a leash. (sorry I digress) If you were to get a ringy as your personal pet, and allow your daughter to participate in his daily training, and upkeep, that may be better for everyone in the end. I do recomend them as pets as they are wonderful loving companions. just be careful about where you get your bird. pet stores kinda suck, breeders are far better, and I wish you luck in your quest to find the perfect bird.
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

hi not all ringnecks are cuddly birds cookie hated being patted he would only let me pat his beak the bluffing stage with him lasted for about 2 maybe 3 months and they bite REALLY hard i would suggest a cockateil they are cuddly birds