Hello all! New to Ringnecks :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Aces Wild

Hello all! New to Ringnecks :)

Post by Aces Wild »

Hello everyone!

My name is Jessica, married to Nathan, with a 2 year old daughter Dakota and a 3 1/2 year old pug mix named Mya.

I am new to Ringnecks but not to birds, I grew up with a cockatiel who was my first pet and my best friend in the whole wide world. I also worked at a pet store in the "bird room" where I would help hand feed babies and care for all birds from finches to Hyacinths.

I have a deposit down on an adorable Gray (split to blue or green) male Ringneck who I have yet to think of a name for! I think I might name him Oliver, Oli for short, just so happens that Oliver is our last name too hehe. I should be getting him mid June.

What drew me to Ringnecks first is seeing one play and talk, I can't believe how inteligent a "parakeet" could be! Can anyone else give me an idea on what life with a Ringneck is like? I have googled my heart out but it would be nice to hear from actual owners!

One major question I have is cage size. I know the bigger you can afford, the better, but what is considered "too small"? The bird will be in the cage most of the day during the week but out during the majority of the evenings and weekends. What are your opinions?
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

I have a grey green oliver

she is called oli for short

Good name for a bird!!!

Welcome!
-Justin
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Welcome to IRN.com, make yourself at home and post some pics, we would love to meet baby Oliver!!
-Chamon-

Bella

Post by Bella »

Welcome. My life with a ringneck is crazy lol its great teaching them to talk and step up and when they do its so exciting :lol:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Image Jessica, family and extended family :lol:

Life with a IRN for me is never a dull moment. They test your patience, they eat, they test what they can get away with (many times over lol), they eat, and are full of character.

I have found they are not the cuddliest bird (compared to my other breeds) but when they are in the mood for a bit of a rub or scratch, it is a wonderful moment lol You also need to consistently handle the bird to stay nice and tame. What a great excuse to play with the bird often when there is house work to do..."sorry dear, can't cook dinner tonight, gotta keep the bird nice and tame, ya know!!" :wink: :wink: :P :P :lol:

And you can teach them to do kool tricks to :D For my birds I use their fav food to have them do things I want. It worls for me anyway lol :P

As for cage size, the bird should be able to spread his wings without being cramped and touching the size of the cage. The info I have read says this.... "A minimum size for a single pet would be 36"h x 18"d x 24"w." but I would go a bit bigger if you can as you said he would be in it for most of the day :)
Also, I would sugest having plenty of toys to rotate so he doesn't get bored with the same toy day in day out. Also they love to chew, so safe wooden toys would be perfect :).
To help stop screaming noise from loneliness when you are away, you could try having noise and visual stimulation in the background so he feels like someone is there with him. :)

Oh and as he is only young, he WILL go through a "bluffing" stage where he WILL test your limitation on your pain threshold lol So try not to react and focus his attention on something else and reward him when he behaves. :)

Finally congrats on your new ringie-to-be. you won't know what you did without him!

8)
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome! Justin, haha, isn't that funny! We probably aren't going to name him Oliver, my husband thinks that would be silly considering he would be "Oliver Oliver, or Oli Oliver" haha. So we are looking into different names.

Pinkdevil, thank you so much for posting the cage specs! I figured that 36 inches would be the minimum hight, I have been looking through ebay to see what I can find.

BTW I am in New York, I see that alot of you are from Australia, anyone know what the time difference is between the two?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I think we are about 14 hours ahead of you. It is just after 11am on Saturday which puts you guys on Friday night :)

Hey would you like a sneak preview on your tomorrow news?????!!! :P :P :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: lolol

8)
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

Hahaha for a second there, I was very confused! "OMG she knows tomorrows news?!" hahah too funny!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sweet Oliver wrote:Hahaha for a second there, I was very confused! "OMG she knows tomorrows news?!" hahah too funny!

Ahhh but I do :P :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

8)
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Three PM in San Diego (so 6 PM in NY) is 8 AM tomorrow in Sydney. I love being able to chat with our Aus colleagues before the day is over. Here is my favorite "cheat sheet" -- I am often trying to set up the least objectionable time for global meetings. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html
MCS