elka can fly

Moderator: Mods

julies

elka can fly

Post by julies »

Hi all,
Well my baby can fly. I got all her food ready for night feed and well she usually stays on the bend while i prepare it and as i walked away from her she flew to me .
Elka is seven weeks today, going from my guessing knowledge, as most people who have seen her when i got her said that she was younger than breeder had told me .
So anyway is 7 weeks normal for her to be flying.

Elka has also decieded that she does not want her spoon food, iknow that i should keep trying, to make sure that she getts enough,
I think she is weaning, i provide her with seed, pellets,fresh fruit and she has what we have for tea mashed potato or rice pasts ect.and of corse water.
Is there anything else i should give her.
She has plenty of toys to keep her happy when we not playing. :D

thanks
julies
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

7 weeks is normal for flying and the start of weening. Having your birdie fly to you is awesome, you should reward this behaviour with positive reinforcement. It really shows they want to be with you. <3
I cant wait till my babies are that old. They are just fluffballs in my lap atm.
julies

worried mum

Post by julies »

Thanks fo the reply

Just wondering you say that she will be weaning, she has gone from 3 feeds a day big feeds to just one a day like only small amount not even enough to slightly fill crop.Is this normal,just a bit concernrd thats all,
I have given her friut,seed,pellets to chew on but she doesnt fussed on them.
I catch her every now and then trying a little but i dont think its enough just my judgement.

Please help
worried mum
Dani03

Feeding

Post by Dani03 »

Hello! All birds do go through a part of their lives when learning to fly which is basically fasting. They have to lighten up and loose their baby pudge...don't be too worried :wink:

Dani and Prinny
julies

Post by julies »

Thanks for letting me know feel alot better now
julies
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Still try to suppliment the other feeds with some wet food

I use pigeon mix soak it overnight, drain then let it get to room temp and put that in a dish for them, it needs to be changed as it goes off after a few hours, do this around their usual feeding times. They will take more readily to soaked seed or soaked pellets? (i dont use soaked pellets does anyone know if soaking them is ok?) frozen peas and corn (run under hot water till thawed) go in well also.

Babies usually watch other birds eat to learn what to eat so umm hope you like peas and corn :p teach your babies to eat by eating the food and offering some. Squish open the peas and offer them the inside bits. Touch the side of her beak with the food and say how yummy it is. It shouldnt matter if she doesnt eat much but it would be a good start.

Hope all goes well. I'll be doing the same thing in a few weeks
julies

Post by julies »

Thanks
You made me laugh,
Tried her on soaked pellets today, she seems to be taking to them,
Tried banana last night seemed to like them.
I will try the peas and corn I find that she will eat if on me,tring not to encourage this tho, she is so wonderful i love her dearly( oopps sorry )
again thanks for the tips they all help
julies :D
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I had alot of trouble getting my two to eat. I find that when they are in my lap they will eat just fine, put them on the table and they run and hide.
Whatever they are happy with I spose. They are getting used to things now and it's adorable when they flap their little wings and preen themselves.

I sit there and daydream about how they are going to turn out.

julies

Post by julies »

They are beautiful
how old?
Are they going to be blue?
It must be so much fun with two babies, they can interact with each other, Did you breed them ?
sorry for so many ? but i cant help myself.
Again they r beautiful.
julies
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

These two are about 3-4 weeks old. They are both blue (nice and cheap) tho I wanted a creamino maybe next year hehe. The white and yellow is just awesome.. mm definatly next year if I can find one.

I've had absolutely no luck with my pairs this year so I bought these from a breeder through the bird club. It's so much better for them to be together IMO They were from the same clutch too so that is kinda cute
julies

Post by julies »

is yellow uncommon where you live, the guy that i bought elka off had a white 4 week baby too, whats the bird club? How much were your babies if you dont mind me asking.
julies
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

It's not really uncommon It's just hard to find a breeder with lots of that colour at that age. I wanted babies around 3-4 weeks old, these were a little young when I got them. They were $40 each. I coould have looked harder for a yellow if I really wanted one. But I think I might save up for a creamino.

I rang another breeder friend about something else and mentioned it to him, and he said he had two yellow ones but it was too late they were already pretty wild.

I'm a member of the Adelaide Bird Club http://www.adelaidebirdclub.com I run the website. It's not much atm but I'm working on getting members to contribute. I cant really do anything without their help. I'm not a huge breeder and I dont have tons of different types of birds.
julies

Post by julies »

Thats really cool i wonder if they have one near me i will have to look into that very interesting.
wow $40.00 is really cheap i payed $180 for elka but i did get ripped off by the guy but i do adore her,
so far i have had no luck with my breeding pairs this year either thats why i bought elka, so are you keeping both babies?
julies
Carly

Post by Carly »

They are beautiful little babies. The blues are lovely. I thought it was illegal to sell unweaned parrot chicks in Australia? or maybe thats just in QLD...
julies

Post by julies »

Hi
yes it is only QLD.
Julies