Hiya everyone

Moderator: Mods

Hayley and the duo

Hiya everyone

Post by Hayley and the duo »

Hey there! A new to this forum and I was wondering if I could get some help/advice regarding a lutino ringneck parakeet.

I studying my second year of my National diploma in animal management and I really love birds owning two cockatiels myself, Ozzy and Zoro. But my friend came into college today and was concerned of the welfare of a ringneck parakeet feather plucker being kept in a pet shop and asked if I could rescue him if she purchases him.

My tutor contacted the petshop for me, he is a lutino, they think he is a boy, his name is Charley, he is a feather plucker but they took him the vets and assured us he was not suffering from mites.

Whilst I do not mind unfortunatly I live with my parents so I have to ask them first but they are thinking about it so this might not even happen... But I feel best to plan ahead just incase.

I am knowlageable on birds and parrots and I know the requirements they need and some of the techiques used to attempt to stop feather plucking. But I still need a few questions answering.

How loud are ringnecks? How big does their cage need to be? How much attention per day do they need per day (am in college 9am-5pm some days)? and how much out of cage time to they need?

Any other information you could give me I would be most greatful. I'll keep you guys up to date about this little guy.

Thanks for reading!

Hayley and the Duo
xxx
Rami

Post by Rami »

Hi!
Ringnecks are not so loud. They aren't too noisy. Mine not! And they are good talkers ;)
Mine when he/she was 5 months he/she started to whistle!

The bigger the cage, better. The cage should have the appropiate space to allow the bird to extend his wings. ;)

Indian ringnecks (IRN) are said to be more independent. This doesn't mean that they aren't sociable, etc. it means that if he/she is alone for some time will not get depressed. Of course he will miss you (I suppose :D ), but it is better to put toys in teh cage so he doesn't get bored.

I go to school from 7 am to 5pm and at 12 I go home to play with him 15/20 minutes and when I arrive home at 5 pm I leave him/her to play out of the cage, explore, etc. But in the meantime my mother takes him/her out of the cage, too :D

Feather plucking can be because of stress, he gets bored, doesn't communicate, doesn't get out of the cage, etc. In this case it's better to be a detective and realise the why is he doing this thing. Is he in good health conditions? does he eat/drink? does he play? does he get out of the cage? does he sleep the hours necessary?.

Well, in the page of the forum (www.indianringnecks.com) you can find lots of information that can help you.

Good luck,
Rami
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Ringnecks arent too load but then again depends on where they are placed in the house and if they are getting the attention they want, i know my boy is load every time the tv was on when i had him in the lounge becaue he wanted the attention and didnt want you watching the tv, now he is the other lounge where he cant see the tv and is quiet there but still lets me know he is there.

As long as the Ringneck has some time out of the cage hour at least then he/she should be happy, but lots of talking with him/her will make alot of difference.

As for a cage check out some of the other threads there are photos of cages the bigger the better as they love the room but then love playing on ropes etc, lots things to hang on and pick up and chew. My boy has kids toys that he loves pulling of wheels etc.

Hope that helps a little.
Sharlene and Amazon
julie

Post by julie »

Do you know if he is tame and how old is he. Rather than purchasing him I would see if the pet shop would be willing to let you adopt him.
Hayley and the duo

Thank you

Hiya everyone, thank you for your advice you have really helped me out loads :) .

I dont know his age or if he is tame. But I can tell you his so called 'owners' took him to the petshop and demanded they bought him off them or they was going to do nasty things to the poor INR :x :evil: . So they only want to sell him at the price he was bought at so.... I guess that isn't so bad. They said they took him to the vets to check that he didn't have mites and he got the all clear.

Mum is thinking about letting me take him, which is really looking promising because I work in an animal care sector, I normally get a blaintent 'no' when I ask for a new animal :lol: .

And another question, how are IRN with other birds? just I have two cockatiels and obviously am not going to put him in their cage or anything stupid like that. But how are they socially? Could I let them out of the cage together and they will be ok?

Thanks again and i'll keep you posted.

fingers crossed!

Hayley & the Duo
xxx
Bella

Re: Thank you

Post by Bella »

Hayley and the duo wrote:Hiya everyone, thank you for your advice you have really helped me out loads :) .

I dont know his age or if he is tame. But I can tell you his so called 'owners' took him to the petshop and demanded they bought him off them or they was going to do nasty things to the poor INR :x :evil: . So they only want to sell him at the price he was bought at so.... I guess that isn't so bad. They said they took him to the vets to check that he didn't have mites and he got the all clear.

Mum is thinking about letting me take him, which is really looking promising because I work in an animal care sector, I normally get a blaintent 'no' when I ask for a new animal :lol: .

And another question, how are IRN with other birds? just I have two cockatiels and obviously am not going to put him in their cage or anything stupid like that. But how are they socially? Could I let them out of the cage together and they will be ok?

Thanks again and i'll keep you posted.

fingers crossed!

Hayley & the Duo
xxx

It would depend on the birds peronality some flat out wont accept another bird, some will tolerate another bird or some will love it. If the irn has been socialized with other birds then you would stand a better chance. Its just about trying really.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

If you decide to adopt the little fella, you might want to find out a bit more about his past owners and how he was treated. If it was abused or mishandled then you are looking at a slightly different situation. I would still strongly suggest adopting him/her but you just want to get as much background on the bird as possible so you can know how to handle training/feeding/playtime etc. I adopted an abused IRN in December and all I can say is you need lots of patience with them. But they are wonderful birds and such great pets.
Melika

Post by Melika »

'tiels are often bossed around by budgies in an aviary setting. They aren't the most bold birdies in the bunch.

You'll never now until you try (I'll assume you will do a two month quarantine with the IRN to keep your 'tiels safe). Some IRNs are just too bossy, and others form tight bonds with other feathered friends in the home.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Hayley and the duo

Thanks again

Thanks for more great advice, you lot are a real helpful bunch on this forum, thank you, I really appreciate it :D . Yeah I know about quarrintine and all that jazz, but thank you for for checking, that was really sweet. :)

Yeah I will agree there that tiels arn't the most bossy in the bunch. My friend rescued a finch on an off chance and she put him in her aviry and he chases one cockteil around inparticular :lol: it's quite amusing to watch. But yeah, I will be careful with them or even if I let them out on a rotar or something.

Mum said she will chat to my dad about it and I asked dad if I could go visit this little IRN which he has agreed to that so.. I am going to be laying eyes on my potential new fid for the first time so thats pretty exicitng :) . Am going to try and find out more dirt about this little guys past history. I am going tomorrow so I will let you guys know how I got on. :D

Hopefully dad will pitty him and let me take him home :) .

Thanks again! :D

Hayley and the Duo
xxx
Bella

Post by Bella »

Im sure as soon as he sets his eyes on the little guy he will give in lol
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Hayley and the duo

Update

Hiya guys, sorry for bumping up this old topic but I have been really busy with assignments as of late so I havn't been able to get back as soon as I would of liked too :oops: . Sorry about that!

anyhow, I went to go see this little IRN to find out he wasn't in the shop. Apparently, another person like me took pity on him and bought him off the petshop. It sounds like he has went to a nice caring home :) .

Am abit dissapointed because IRN sound like right little characters and I was looking forward to him brightening up our home :lol: .

But very ironically, our college has just rescued a pair of IRN male and female so I wont be compleatly without IRN's in my life :D . I can't seem to get rid of these guys! there following me everywhere lol :lol: wonder if it's a sign?

Charley in the rescue shelter I volunteeer at, Charley in the petshop.... Wonder if one of these guys are called charley too? :P

Thanks for all your wonderful advice during this period, it has furthered my knowlage so hopefully I can help these two IRN's in college too.

Hayley & the Duo
xxx