Just adopted an IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

MattQ

Just adopted an IRN

Post by MattQ »

Hi there. my name is matt and ive just adopted a stray indian ring neck. he/she is tame but i was just wondering if someone could lend me some advice on how best to handle him/her. he likes to sit on my shoulder but im having trouble getting him to do step ups etc. Maybe i just need to wait a bit? ive only had him (or her) for a month. he seems very happy tho. any advice would br appreciated. :)

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome MattQ :)

Congrats on your new feathery friend :).

If he hasn't been doing the "step up" command maybe he hasn't been taught yet. I taught mine by gently pressing my finger just above the legs so that they had to step onto me. While doing this I said "step up" and when they did I gave them a treat. :) It won't take long especially when food is involved lol I found that mornings are good for doing this as they were quite hungry and were easier to teach to get the reward food. :)
You are lucky that he is tame, makes life so much easier.

Just be gentle and let the bird work at his own pace. If you try to rush things it could have a reverse effect. I have found from personal experience that they work very well with favourite treats, and I only give them that treat at "training & performing time" as rewards. So they are more likely to do what you ask of them. :)

As an example I was looking after a bird for someone who had to go away for a week. She was having trouble getting the bird to come to her (bird was not clipped) and go back into it's cage. I found her fav food was capsicum. :D So I loaded myself up with heaps of capsicum and called her. Only took a minute or two for her to realize what I had. Followed me around the house looking for the reward. I used the same method to put her back into her cage.

Is his wings clipped? Some people like to have their birds wings clipped to make them more dependent on them or to prevent escaping. It's a personal choice. :)

Sounds like he has decided you are his friend. :D Just remember to always positively reinforce any good behaviour no matter how small. They have a great memory so if you hurt him he will remember it and hold it against you lol.

He sounds young so he may not have gone through his "bluffing" stage yet. There is plenty of info on here about that "fun" time lol :lol: :lol:

Good luck and enjoy your new found friend.

:)
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

thanks for the info :) he does step up. i just cant seem to keep him from climbing up onto my shoulder haha. he loves to chew on my hair. i think il try the treat thing to see if i can get him to do stuff. i pretty much just give him stuff all the time haha. but i suppose if i dont give him something for a while he will miss it :P hes a lovely bird. im not sure exactly how old he is because he was a lost and found bird. but hes pretty well behaved. i have not troubles with getting him to bed. any advice of good safe toys to give him?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Even though I do let my birds sit on my shoulder occasionally, I have read that birds shouldn't be allowed on your level or higher as in their eyes they will be superior over you. Guess it all depends on your birds personality. :) If you don't want him on your shoulder, everytime he goes there take him off straigt away. You need to do this often as he is now used to being there, so it will take quite a few goes.

As for safe toys, acrylic or wooden toys are good. Just make sure they are made for birds. I find acrylic toys last longer but wooden toys are great for letting birds chew as they really love to do that! lol Also good to help keep them occupied and their beak in trim. :) Some toys have leather strips or natural rope, others are foraging toys. These are great to let your bird use for mental stimulation, and if they do it right they get a surprise treat in the end :) My Lutino, Jasper, loves anything red or that makes a noise. In fact she likes anything that is mine!! :roll: lol

I am sure others will have some great ideas for home made toys to.

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

thanks for the info. one other thing is im not sure whether its a boy or a girl. and since i dont know how old it is that makes it even harder haha. i think its a girl. i would add a photo but i dont know how haha.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

If you go to the IRN photo thread and there is a sticky called How do I post an Image/Avatar of my Indian Ringneck? It's the third one down.

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

I did it!! its not very good tho haha
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Still can see him. Very nice looking bird to :)
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

thanks :) i love him or her. he or she is a very nice bird haha. i think its a girl. too bad i named it hugo already haha
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol oh well sure he/she won't mind.

The galah in my sig was named Willy & given to me by an old lady who couldn't keep him in her flat any longer. Found out 2 years ago that Willy is a Wilma lol when the eye colour was able to be seen properly lol.

Where about in QLD are you from? I used to live up there, in NSW now.

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

sunshine coast. up near mooloolaba and stuff. ive only been here for 6 months. moved over from nz. its nice tho :) im loving hugo tho. i want more birds now haha
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh yes know that feeling. I started with Wilma then got my first IRN, Jasper, just over 18 months ago. I hand raised her and it kinda took off from there. My "I want/I need" list is always growing lol. I now have 17 IRN of various colours, Sun Conures, Rainbow Lorikeets, Eclectus, a Green Cheek Conure, and the latest addition are a couple of lovely cockatiel girls. All this in about 18 months lol

I used to live in Noosa for about 9 months. Great beaches there, hoping to move back to QLD one day, if I can stop buying birds that is lol

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

haha yeah :P can you put a bird of a different type in with a IRN like say a sun conure or something? i want to get him or her a friend :D i can see myself buying alot of birds in my future :P
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

There is conflicting information there. Some people have successfully housed to different birds together with no harm done. Especially if they have grown up together. BUT I personally wouldn't. I have found IRN to be fairly agressive to other birds. I have had to double wire my aviaries to help stop bickering between the birds and that includes the same breed. Sun Conures are agressive to other birds as well I have found, same with Green Cheek Conures and even the pretty colours of the Rainbow Lori don't let other birds of the hook. lol :)

You could get different breed bird and house them in seperate cages, (always a way around an excuse to get more birds :wink: ) lol

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

what about if i were to get another tame ringneck to house with hugo? would it work? i dont want them fighting tho
bec

Post by bec »

hi hugo is georgeous!!!!
i love the blues i have 2
cant wait to see more pics of him
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

i would post more i just dont know how :S haha
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

To post a pic in here just upload your photo to whatever you are using, like photobucket or imageshack etc, then copy the IMG code and paste in here. Hopefully should work :)

Yeah another IRN of about the same age would be ok to house with Hugo I think. Depending on whether Hugo is used to other birds and will accept another in his or her territory. If you did get another one, after keeping the new bird in quarantine for a month or so (or get it vet checked to make sure no nasties can be passed on to Hugo) I would let them get used to each other before housing them together. Then if they did get along, I would change the cage around, add toys, take away toys, move perches etc so it doesn't look the same, that way both birds will be on even grounds and not one birds domain.
Depending on if you want to breed or not as to what sex to get. Two males or females can get along until breeding season then maybe a bit of a problem.
Also some birds just don't like each other and willnot get along even if they are different sexes. Bit like people I guess lol :lol:

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

haha yeah i might just need to wait til i have more space and money for another cage. considering i have no idea of how old hugo is or even what sex haha. he or she was lost and someone found it. noone claimed it so i decided to give it a home :D its funny coz its really the only big bird ive had. so im learning heaps about them. i used to have zebra finches and quails tho. theyre very cute
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

You can either wait for a year or two to see if Hugo developes a ring for a male or you can have him DNA sexed where you send for a kit and take a blood or feather sample (explained how in kit) and return. Aprox a week or so later you have the results. Or a vet can surgically sex Hugo. I prefer the blood sample method. :)

MattQ

Post by MattQ »

haha yeah. i dont know. i suppose il just have to wait. its a bit of a nuisance not knowing how old he is lol. but it doesnt matter. hes been through alot being out in the wild and all. hes quite well behaved really.. after reading some of the problems other people have with theirs haha
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello Matt and welcome to the flock! :D Congrads on the new arrival! I shall go and check out your new baby in the photo section!
Just remember.. patience and you will be rewarded. :wink:
I lived in Buderim on the Sunny Coast for a year back in 05' went to Tafe in Mooloolaba. My boyfriend is from there. My favorite spot in Aus, want to move back soon! Awesome beaches, the Glasshouse Mountains.. just beautiful! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

i havnt been to the glasshouse monutains yet. i will one day tho.
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

One other question... hugo seems a bit frightened of people. like as you walk by his cage he will move away. and he shakes sometimes and makes little chirp noises when i talk to him. he came down to the couch all by himself last night to say hello :) it was cute. i think hes starting to get used to us :D
bec

Post by bec »

yay! definitly a step forward
clever hugo
kisses for him!!!!
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

:D i bought him a new toy today. i hope he likes it
Bella

Post by Bella »

sometimes it takes them a while to get used to toys billy didnt touch his bell for ages
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

thats ok :D im just making sure he or she has plenty of things to keep her occupied. she pecked at it a few times when i put it in the cage. so thats good i suppose. i can tell shes gonna be a very spoilt bird haha. yeah im referring to him as a her now hahahaha. i think its a girl. but i really am just guessing :S
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

yea as soon as you call her a "her" it will be a him

or the opposite

Good spoil her all you want! :D
-Justin
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

hahahaha yeah exactly. its a shame i have no idea haha. so far i have to all her or him an it because in all honesty i have no idea what it is lol. if i knew how old it was it would help. shes lovely tho. or he :P
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

well i learned

It doesnt matter the sex

cause its still the same bird it was before you knew the sex :wink:
-Justin
MattQ

Post by MattQ »

haha yeah exactly. but at least you could call it a him or her
:P