Something wrong with my boy

Moderator: Mods

greeny

Something wrong with my boy

Post by greeny »

My favorite, Tajj, has something wrong with him. He is moulting and this morning I though the area under his throat, near the base of his ring looked swollen on his left side.

Tonight I definitely think it is swollen and it's even affecting his voice. He is a big talker and how he is only talking softly. I am upset. I wonder if he ate something and it's stuck there? He also seems heavier than usual.

I am hoping to get him seen tomorrow, Saturday, by an avian vet, but I am so concerned and upset.

Anyone ever heard of something like this? He seems fairly well, he is eating, but I noticed it looked like he was trying harder to swallow. I hope he will be ok. He is 11 and my dear friend.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sorry I can't help you but hope Tajj will be alright :?

You will know more when your vet checks him out.

Good luck

:)
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Sending all my good thoughts your way, do let us know what the vet says
-Chamon-

greeny

Post by greeny »

It's a little scary so far. I had him to a really good avian vet and he did the exam and found a mass on Tajj's neck. We did a biopsy and blood work and it's all going to the lab. There is a chance that it's cancer. :cry:

I'll know more by Thursday. I am not panicking - I know that sometimes a doctor will think 'cancer' and then it's not. If it's some sort of other tumor we'll get some surgery on it. Tajj is my good friend for many years so I'll do whatever to keep him going.
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Greeny... I hope and pray your little one will be OK...
Cheers

Lene
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh poor little Tajj, having to go through all those yucky needles :(

Hope it is not serious. Wishing you the best of news.

:)
greeny

Post by greeny »

Thanks, it was a lot of needles. They took blood from his leg vein and did a throat swab and then a fine needle aspiration from the mass on his neck to send to see if it's cancer.

Tajj handled it pretty well but he was screaming a lot. The vet is very good. I volunteer for the Humane Society Wild Birds program and we send him most of our complicated cases. I felt confident with the way the vet handled Tajj. Still, I am concerned. Tajj has gained about 20 grams and I don't know why. It's alot.

Also he cannot talk now. He loves to talk so this is bad. Here is his youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY2DSCWLFmk

I hope he'll be ok.
Pioneer

Post by Pioneer »

Hi greeny

Nooo not Tajj!! :( hope he'll be alright. All of our thoughts and best wishes are with you. Its because of Tajj in the youtube video that I got interested in IRN's and bought Hemi.

I've never heard of this problem with them, but I am only new, so I'm sorry I cant be of any help. Everyone at my place loves the Tajj video. Keep us posted on his progress.
greeny

Post by greeny »

He's gone.

I just came home from work and he is passed away. I am totally devastated.

Somehow last night I had the feeling that he might go soon. I just had an instinct. So I took out the camera and shot pictures.

I was only out a short time, from 12-6, but he passed while I was gone. My last memory is of him happily eating a carrot. I cannot believe my good friend is gone.

This has all been so fast and terrible.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I just read this thread and am in complete shock. Not Tajj! :cry: I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you sweetheart. He was such a gorgeous boy. *hugs* :cry: Rest in peace Tajj.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh no, so very sorry to hear about Tajj. :(

What a wonderul last memory to have of him, eating a carrot.

Wishing you happy memories

:(
Pioneer

Post by Pioneer »

:cry: This is so sad!!!!! very shocking... All this happened in such a short amount of time!!!! :(

Our thoughts go out to you, We are so sorry to hear the news :cry:

R.I.P Tajj
Melika

Post by Melika »

Sorry to hear about Tajj. :cry:

You have so many happy memories of him, and memories you've shared with us here. What a good, full life he had with you. That is all we can give to such special creatures. (:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Bella

Post by Bella »

greeny wrote:He's gone.

I just came home from work and he is passed away. I am totally devastated.

Somehow last night I had the feeling that he might go soon. I just had an instinct. So I took out the camera and shot pictures.

I was only out a short time, from 12-6, but he passed while I was gone. My last memory is of him happily eating a carrot. I cannot believe my good friend is gone.

This has all been so fast and terrible.

This is so sad to hear :cry: Im very sorry for your loss it was way too soon
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Awww greeny im so sorry to hear bout Tajj:(

I loved his videos and pictures, just keep them in your heart, we are all here for you.

RIP Tajj
Sharlene and Amazon
bec

Post by bec »

oh greeny im so sorry
sending you a mental hug
leo

Post by leo »

whaaaaat !!!!!!??????

he died? his video hav been my favourite video...!!!!!!
ow...im sooo sorry, sorry for this...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Ed Loschi

Sad to hear of Tajj passing, our prayers are with you.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Hello Greeny,
Tajj passing is very sad news and my thoughts are with you. 11 years is a nice time together but still it is too short. Tajj's vids are really great, and a nice way to remember your fid. Sorry to hear of your loss.
Ed
greeny

Post by greeny »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It really helps. It's been awful not having him here. I took his body yesterday to the vet for an autopsy. I don't have that result back yet.

The vet did give me some of the blood work back. Tajj's liver values were off the chart and the vet says it's because of cancer. Also the vet looked at the cells from the biopsy in Tajj's neck and said those were cancer too. It looks like that is the cause.

Tajj never had a bad day up til the end. He did not lose weight or become listless or anything. That is why it is such a shock. I am happy, at least, that he did not have a long illness that would have made him suffer.

I will get his ashes back and then can decide what to do with them. I am definitely going to make a memorial contribution to a bird related cause in his memory. He deserves that.

I appreciate all the kind words that people have said and how much people enjoyed Tajj. He was so unique, as each of our fids are. I am adjusting to beint without him, but it's hard.
Lene

Post by Lene »

Greeny... I'm so sorry for your loss... I can only begin to imagine how you're feeling.. May your gorgeous little guy rest in peace.
Cheers

Lene
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

this was the last post i read a week ago before i moved house, and ive been desperate to see an update to see if your bird was alright. ive just got the internet put back in today, and this is the first post ive searched for.
:(

im totally devastated. ive been praying that it would all be okay over the past week for you both. i saw the video you linked and i cant believe how intelligent and such a good speaker he was! he obviously loved you very much.

Im sorry for your loss :( . and your right, at least he wasnt suffering for a very long time. Cancer can be awful, as im sure we all know. You have a good last memory of him, and some amazing video footage, keep hold of them all.
rocketsmummy

Post by rocketsmummy »

I am so sorry to read of your loss , he is a wonderful wonderful little soulmate! friends like Tajj are rare. Im so sad for you.xxx
(((((((((([]-[]UGs 4 YoU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))) xxxxxxxxxxx
My heart sings everytime im with my Baby Birdy.