Found tame too' or wild talking too'?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Found tame too' or wild talking too'?

Post by Lauren »

:shock: As I was walking through the park down the street today, I was admiring all the parrots, when I spotted a sulfur crested too' climbing up to 'say hello' to some galahs, didnt think much of it as theres a large flock of wild toos' that live at this park and many different species always interacting together. After admiring it for some time, I decided it was time to go home, when out it comes with HELLOOO! and then again HELLOOO! I am sure it wasnt my imagination as this too' was quite close (bottom branch of a very tall gum tree) it was just staring at me! :shock: I tried coaxing it over to me with some sticks and pebbles from the ground for a while, then decided to run back home and get some seed, maybe this would work? It was still there when I returned (only live couple of houses away). But the talking too' flew back to his 'flock' and 'mingled' with them. I thought well, atleast hes got a 'flock' and it looked healthy and happy. I am wondering if in fact it was a pet and now has found a flock or can wild birds learn to speak? :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
bec

Post by bec »

ive been thinking the same thing about the flock up here at least once a day when they roost in the oak in my front yard i here hello? hello & mabye a good boy but i found out yesterday some of the pensioners up here have really set up bird friendly areas in their yards & the cockys ( both sulpher crested & the red crested blacks (is that the right name it sounds wrong) have been visitng for generations & have become semi tame so they just started picking up words it spins my visitors from ferntree gully :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Thats interesting because there is a retirement home right on the parks edge. Many retirees around here! I'm looking forward to old age, just sitting in a park talking to parrots. What more could you want? :D

Aww, I want to see a 'red tail black too' only ever seen one in a pet shop, and I wanted it.. was sooo pretty!

*edit* maybe the red crested blacks were 'gang gangs' not red tail blacks. :wink:
Last edited by Lauren on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bec

Post by bec »

come up to my place & sit on the front(or back porch they fly over every afternoon and sometimes they land next time they do ill get cristy to take pics
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D I am so jealous. You must take pics for me! hehe

I am badly wanting a 'seachange' or 'countrychange' even though I see many parrots around here, still I'm over Melb and the city and the 'burbs'. :roll:

After my partner has finished his apprenticeship, I am wanting to move back to his 'home town' on the Sunshine Coast. :D
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Lauren...

Can you give the RSPCA a call? Someone might have registered their missing Too on there...

That's how I found Cory after a week...
Cheers

Lene
bec

Post by bec »

dont be too jealous im right on the highway weekends we cant open the front door because of the fumes from all the tourist traffic chokes us humans so we dont risk it with the birds plus if we try to watch the telly we cant hear it over the motor bikes flying past :( and the lovely scenery? the veiw out the front windows is a petrol station :roll:
not the best take on " the country life"
but then again we have alot to be thankful for and the bird life up here is always suprising me today on the way home we saw a pelican on a dam round the corner but none of us had or cameras & we had the new fids to settle :cry:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

whats the "red crested blacks" you were talking about?? can you show me a pic please? iv never seen or heard of them before
bec

Post by bec »

i got the name wrong lauren corected me it the red tailed black cockatoo they are beautiful birds ive asked cristy to get some pics of them and as soon as she does ill post them
Bella

Post by Bella »

ryelle wrote:whats the "red crested blacks" you were talking about?? can you show me a pic please? iv never seen or heard of them before

i think that this may be the cockatoo the girls are talking about ryelle http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/ ... x458,0.jpg
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Lene wrote:Hi Lauren...

Can you give the RSPCA a call? Someone might have registered their missing Too on there...

That's how I found Cory after a week...

I'm going over to the park tonight at sunset to have another look. If I find it again I will call RSPCA.. but I'm thinking this too' was quite at home with its flock, they all vocalize beside each other on top of the floodlight poles around the sports centre, then roost in the tall gum trees at night, gosh its noisy hehe, but its great.. I can see them all out my front door! hehe.. still its a good idea to inform people of it just incase someone has registered their pet. All I can say to them, is that a talking too' was spotted in the general area. I didnt see a legband either. I'm sure you need a license to keep native animals here too. I wonder if they need some form of identification. :?

Bec, I'm still jealous. lol. I am still pushing my partner into the seachange, hes still undecided on moving back home to QLD. :roll: I think I'd rather choose tropical rainforests, blue pacific ocean beaches and far less chaos over the concrete city suburbia life anyday!

Isnt there something like 20 different species of cockatoo?
I like the gang gangs and palm cockatoos. :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatoo
Lene

Post by Lene »

Even if the cockatoo was set free or escaped years ago, it would still retain some words, and I reckon if it's accepted into a flock, it should probably be allowed to stay there... There's nothing more beautiful than watching the birds in their natural environment... If the bird had recently got out, I doubt it would have been accepted by another flock so soon...

Cory probably wouldn't have survived in the wild... She had lost a lot of weight, and was by herself. If she had been accepted by a flock and I knew she would survive, I would have let her go... I think it would be selfish not to... since Australia is her natural habitat.
Cheers

Lene
Lene

Post by Lene »

You don't need a license to keep the 'normal' cockatoos or Corellas... You need a lisence to keep a Major Mitchell, though, and also a Palm Cockatoo, even though it's no Australian...

You also need a lisence (I think) or at least a movement advice to keep a lorikeet...

You are required to notify the authorities, if you spot an IRN in the wild... That's of course if you know what they look like... I certainly don't... :lol:
Cheers

Lene
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

It depends on what state you live in Australia as to what birds are on licence. You don't need a licence for rainbow, red collared lorikeet
scaly breasted lorikeet, or musk lorikeet.

:)
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Dont you think that cockatoo was a pet? Maybe a long lost pet and it had learned its way to live with the wild cockatoo..

I have seen palm cockatoo at the flora and fauna show in Indonesia, they look really gorgeous!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

WWWWOOOOWWWWW ive never seen a black cockatoo before!! they look scary!!!
bec

Post by bec »

they're not at all scary they are absolutly majestic & graceful when they fly over my place in the late afternoon i always try to be on the porch with a coffee & a smoke at that time every day just to watch them
although sometimes i miss them because the clown brigade ( the sulpher cresteds) are hang upside down in my oaktree screaming at me it kinda reminds me of when my kids were younger & on the jungle gym screaming hey mum look at me!