Wierd Animals...

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

ryelle

Wierd Animals...

Post by ryelle »

has anybody ever had any really bizarre pets? bizarre can be both bizarre in nature, and also just bizarre that you actually owned one! Photos are good :)

three/four years ago i had a Giant African Landsnail called Gary (named after Sponge Bob Square Pants' pet snail... yes i am immature). i had him for about year then he passed away.

everybody thought i was nuts but i loved him! :D
Bella

Post by Bella »

I have a funny story about snails :lol: . When i was little i went to my aunties with my little red box that i was very attatched to and took everywhere and she had a huge garden so me and my cousin find these shells laying on the floor so we put them in the box for me to take home to show my mum :? When i got home my mum opened it screams i thought they were empty shells and all these snails were crawling around i was gutted the snails went in the garden and my box was put in the bin :( ok yes i was that silly that i didnt know that there were snails inside these shells lol
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
bec

Post by bec »

wierd pets? now where do i start with this lets see......
well i had a pet goat (sunny) who thought he should be able to come indside when it rained & liked to be taken for walks round the block
a siamese cat (sheba) who thought it was a book end
when we were kids mum had a pet dingo (thunderbolt)
&now i have a cat that attacks dogs & a samoyed whos scared of kittens (but loves the cat that attacks dog)
Bella

Post by Bella »

bec wrote:wierd pets? now where do i start with this lets see......
well i had a pet goat (sunny) who thought he should be able to come indside when it rained & liked to be taken for walks round the block
a siamese cat (sheba) who thought it was a book end
when we were kids mum had a pet dingo (thunderbolt)
&now i have a cat that attacks dogs & a samoyed whos scared of kittens (but loves the cat that attacks dog)

hahaha we used to have a rabbit that thought it was a dog it would play with the puppies and my cat used to suckle on my mums old dog and she even made milk for him. and a have a female dog a rat and my fid who like to hump me :roll:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

lmao! wow a goat :D theres someone near my dads house that has a mini herd of goats that live in her backgarden. she just opens the gate and lets them out on the field (public area lol) during the day.

hahahaa getting humped by 3 animals! im glad none of mine do :D

i really want a pet donkey. horses scare me a bit, but donkeys are cool. wanted a duck for a while aswell but my mam said no :x ... which is when i went out and bought Gary haha! id have a zoo if i was allowed
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I have pet piranha. :shock:

bec

Post by bec »

[quote]hahaha we used to have a rabbit that thought it was a dog it would play with the puppies and my cat used to suckle on my mums old dog and she even made milk for him. and a have a female dog a rat and my fid who like to hump me Rolling Eyes

lol bella this reminded me of a couple of others weirdos we had
we had our dog and our six cats all had litters at the same time
mina the dog thought it was unfair that there were so many kittens & only six pups ... her solution? steal a kitty so momma cat discovered one missing & grabbed the first one that walked passed & so on & so forth till it got to the point the poor little kittys didnt know (or for that matter care) who mom was they just went to the nearest cat or dog who was lying down
then of course there was maggie the rabbit who was just a little bit too friendly with the cats in matiing season & the cat wobbles who let him
and last of all was my strange dog kelly who used to impress us all with her fig picking skills i think ive covered them all but i could be wrong :lol:
giant foot truck cool phirana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
giantfoot_truck

Sorry for the big pic I resized it but its still big..
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Are piranhas really as savage as they are made out to be??
They look like a normal pretty fish lol

:)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I am baffled. A pet snail? haha.. its gigantic! Amazing!

and a pet piranha giantfoot? thats incredible!

Well no weird pets from me, we had dwarf lop bunnies, an eastern longneck turtle which is still alive at dads since the 80s, tiels, mice, goldfish... and a pigeon that thought our house was his and would try everything to get inside, it lived in our garage and when we'd open the door to the laundry.. (which led into the house) it would make a run for inside! We called it 'Pidgie'. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
giantfoot_truck

Lol yeah pinkdevil they look like pretty lil fishy but not until you see them devouring on other animals, :shock: yuck! :?

Anyway I never feed mine with live animals, I feed it with frozen fish, shrimp, liver etc... Sadly some people love watching them killing and ripping apart live feeder... :(
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

giantfoot_truck wrote:Lol yeah pinkdevil they look like pretty lil fishy but not until you see them devouring on other animals, :shock: yuck! :?

Anyway I never feed mine with live animals, I feed it with frozen fish, shrimp, liver etc... Sadly some people love watching them killing and ripping apart live feeder... :(

Unfortunately that happens a lot in reptiles to. Owners love the "thrill of the chase" I have heard of reptiles being fed live animals. Very sick. Some people might say, "but they do it in the wild" and that is so BUT these animals are NOT in the wild so why let another animal suffer a slow, lingering, painful death when it can be avoided just for peoples amusement???? :evil:

I am very glad you don't feed live food iantfoot_truck :)

Crazyratwoman

Post by Crazyratwoman »

Wow, those snails are so cool (MEGA spongebob fan here!)

our wierdest pet atm is Crusty our bearded dragon, he's about 6 years old and going strong!

we have had mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, dogs, fish and birds hehe

I would LOVE a miniature goat...... :roll:

This is my now passed away feople, Hercules at the back and Sally in the front.... :(
giantfoot_truck

Yay Im happy there are other reptile lover!

Cute bearded dragon! Here is my baby iguana drake;

Im sorry to hear your dog passed away..
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Crazyratwoman, Crusty looks like a yellow fase, is he??

Awww loving your dogs to :)

drake looks lovely, nice colour green :)

Here are a few pics of B/Fs snakes...
A baby Olive Python

Another baby, this time a Black & Gold Jungle python

This is Charlie, she is a Port Mac

ryelle

Post by ryelle »

omg i was scrolling down Pinkdevil's post for some reason panicking cus i thought thered be a picture of a tarantula or other spidery thing :shock:

i love snakes and lizards and other reptiles. we were looking at tiny tiny baby bearded dragons the other day in the pet shop. they are so cute! i'd have one if i could afford it and had the space.

I am baffled. A pet snail? haha.. its gigantic! Amazing

i still have his shell. when he died i couldnt touch him cus i was freaked out, and my mam was cleaning the mud off him with a bit of water and a cloth (to make him look better... i know he was a snail and dead but he was awsome :()and he just slid out of the shell. we buried him in the garden above the spot where my dog is buried... which is where my ratty boys will go (cant think about it :| ). I'll post a pic of the shell tomorrow if i can. its coool. took me a year and a half before i could touch the shell after he died. totally freaked me out :?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

OK ryelle DO NOT LOOK SPIDER PICS COMING UP!!!!....
........................................................................................................

This one I found outside....

These are of our pet Tarantula. She is a Sterlingi

giantfoot_truck

Pet snake thats really cool! You have really interesting pet PD!

A tarantula? I want to see you hold it! :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol I don't think so, it is actually venomous! :? Not enough to kill (unless there is a reaction) but make you very very sick. I could get a pic of me pointing at it :lol: :lol:
I think I will just admire it form it's tank :P

ryelle

Post by ryelle »

pinkdevil wrote: I could get a pic of me pointing at it :lol: :lol:
I think I will just admire it form it's tank :P

ahahhaaaaa pointing at it!! i couldnt even be in the same room! i ask the guy in my local pet shop if he has any in so i know where not to look when i go nosey at the animals
Lene

Post by Lene »

I am completely panicky about spiders, but in my later years I have been able to look at pictures on the net... Not a book, though...

I used to have a lot of pet rats... they all had names from the Roman Empire...
Cheers

Lene
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

OOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

today i was sat on the arm of the chair talking to my boyfriend while he was playing a game on his p.c. there was an empty pint glass next to the monitor from when i was watering the plants yesterday. i looked at it in the corner of my eye and saw something, so i jumped and ran to the side of the room and started screaming "whats in that glass!" to my boyfriend. he picked it up and there was a massive spider sat in the bottom. it must have fallen in and got stuck.

i havent freaked out that bad in ages :? , and Lene, i know what you mean about looking at spiders in books. it freaks me out bad. i jump when i turn the page over. im so ridiculous lol

thats cool about the rats too :D. my "friend" at college today said "my rats have been alive almost three years but one of them has got a tumour on its neck" somebody else asked how long they live and i said average two years but the record is nine... and my "friend" said "i wouldnt want mine to live that long! i want a new pet to look at already and iv only had them three years, i think theyve lived long enough"... excuse my language, but what a bitch
Bella

Post by Bella »

ryelle wrote:OOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

today i was sat on the arm of the chair talking to my boyfriend while he was playing a game on his p.c. there was an empty pint glass next to the monitor from when i was watering the plants yesterday. i looked at it in the corner of my eye and saw something, so i jumped and ran to the side of the room and started screaming "whats in that glass!" to my boyfriend. he picked it up and there was a massive spider sat in the bottom. it must have fallen in and got stuck.

i havent freaked out that bad in ages :? , and Lene, i know what you mean about looking at spiders in books. it freaks me out bad. i jump when i turn the page over. im so ridiculous lol

thats cool about the rats too :D. my "friend" at college today said "my rats have been alive almost three years but one of them has got a tumour on its neck" somebody else asked how long they live and i said average two years but the record is nine... and my "friend" said "i wouldnt want mine to live that long! i want a new pet to look at already and iv only had them three years, i think theyve lived long enough"... excuse my language, but what a bitch

:o thats horrible i would love my rats to live for as long as me lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

:shock: wow I hope your "friend' isn't planing on having kids, might get sick of them after a few years :? A person like that shouldn't have animals. It seems pets are just a "toss away get a new one" at the time for them. That is soooooo sad :cry:
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

pink devil your snakes are beautiful i love olive pythons my snake breeder has a 9 yr old one called sampson he is gorgeous and huge that will be my next snake, i am waiting till we get our own house before getting another snake though.
k well i had 2 goats called drazic and dezrai
a german shepard who tried to hump going whipper snippers
i had a childrens python but someone let her out when i wasnt home and i never seen her again :x
we have a scorpion
and a baby rat
oh and we had a pet dingo when i was a kid but the next door neighbour shot it
i really dont have luck with animals
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

alana8819 wrote:oh and we had a pet dingo when i was a kid but the next door neighbour shot it

OH MY GOD!! your neighbour SHOT you pet?!?!?!!!!! i'd have beaten him with the gun! thats soo harsh.

and i agree with you all about my "friend". i swear, when i leave uni and dont HAVE to spend every day with her, then ill have nothing more to do with her. she makes me sick the way she talks sometimes.

reminds me of that advert "a dog is for life not for christmas"....
Bella

Post by Bella »

I know someone a little like that ryelle well not me its bazs sisters mate lol
She came into our house and tried to feed our dog chocolate and baz said dont give the dog chocolate it could kill her and she was like oh dont worry its only abit of chocolate if she dies dont worry ill buy you a new one :evil: she was then swiftly out of the house and told not to come back lucky to not have my foot following her
giantfoot_truck

Talking about spiders.. Here is a little story from me.

When I was small I used to be terribly afraid of squid's tentacle, whenever my parents cook squid and serve it for dinner I would cry soo loud so that they will remove the tentacle and place it somewhere away from my sight.. :oops: :oops:
Im just frightened by the tentacle because it somehow looks like a cooked spider!!

For some reason Im not afraid of it anymore and now I would take the tentacle from the plate and munch munch it! lol :lol:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

eewwww squid is so gross!! my friend loves it and eats it in front of me all the time :shock: . i think if my parents served me squid tentacles when i was little id have cried too!! its a scary looking thing lol.

isnt it all squishy in your mouth? :?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

alana8819 wrote:a german shepard who tried to hump going whipper snippers

lol maybe he wanted to be "snipped" :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the compliment on the snakes :)

celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

The snakes are gorgeous! I used to be deathly scared of them, but if I'm in a pet store and one is out, I can pet it now. But I'm with Ryelle on the spiders! I had a European starling Dufus who passed away from cancer at Christmas time. He used to talk non stop, had a vocab of over 100 words and noises. I miss him bunches I currently have two crows Russell and Buckbeak. I want a reptile of some type but can't handle the whole criket thing. I believe there is some kind of bearded dragon that's a fruit eater so we'll probably get one of those. And we're involved in some animal rescue so I'm hoping if any baby starlings are rescued we can get one.

We have a tortoise shell cat Clea that we call our love cat. She loves up on anyone and anything that comes into the house. Not a cat instinct in her. When we got our first dog our other cat Babe hissed, took a swipe at the pooche's nose and hid for days. Clea walked up to the dog, started purring and rubbing up against her. They took a nap together in a laundry hamper an hour later. LOL
giantfoot_truck

ryelle wrote:eewwww squid is so gross!! my friend loves it and eats it in front of me all the time :shock: . i think if my parents served me squid tentacles when i was little id have cried too!! its a scary looking thing lol.

isnt it all squishy in your mouth? :?

Lol yeah, but I love it though, the cooked one of course! Especially when its cooked with butter, or fried with flour, its tasty yum yum, I love seafood.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Wanna know something really gross? My B/f & I bought a packet of bug meat (the ocean Balmain bugs meat like rock lobsters not the land dwelling insects lol) one day. I had never had Belmain Bug before so it was new to me. As I am a seafood lover I was told I would love it! Anyway we popped the meat on the plate with a nice healthy yummy gourmet salad. All was going good, salad was fresh, tasty and then tried the bug meat! My first mouthfull was hmmmmm......not as I had expected it to taste like. The second mouthful wasn't getting any easier :? By the third mouthful I was thinking Bugs are not everything they are cracked up to be. Pushed it to the side of the plate and enjoyed the tasty salad :)

Then next day Christmas Day and we took the left over bug meat to Shanes parents, maybe they liked it better :) Once again the packet was opened and the meat was popped into the hot frypan :shock: :shock: :shock: "Whoa, hold on here, what are you doing" I asked Shanes' mum. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: She looked at me blankly and said "cooking it!" :shock: :shock: OMG OMG, you mean to say this stuff isn't COOKED :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!......we had eaten RAW, I will say it again, RAW BUG MEAT!!!!!!!! :shock:

I feel sick just reliving it :?

ryelle

Post by ryelle »

woah!! roar meat?! werent you guys sick or anything? i know u can eat sushi and stuff but i think EVERYTHING should be cooked. im not a big sea food fan. ill eat Crab, and i want to try lobster but thats about it. i only eat a few fish aswell
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

No we only felt sick from the thought of eating raw seafood. As I had never had bug meat before, and it was in a packet, we thought that it was already cooked and we just needed to eat it, like cooked prawns etc. But I agree with you, everything should be cooked lol

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

for me, praying mantises and silk worms:) i enjoy having exotic mantis--once that look like flowers 8)

cool post:)
Bella

Post by Bella »

i forgot i had two stick insects they were cool :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Praying mantis are very alien looking. You can easily see where some of the character ideas come from

leo

Post by leo »

wow...

i also love praying mentist...i breed them last time...the baby was like brown colour...haha...

in indonesia, i bought a blue crowned hanging parrot, thats for US$0.60

increadably, he is tamed and learned to shake handwithin 2 night, eventhough he was just being cought from his habitat...

but, unfortunately, he was missing out of no reason...

he was clipped and there is no way out , but he just go missing, out of nowhere...

in indonesia, i had koi, fighting rooster, mini rooster, angel fish, arowarna, brazilian tortoise, pearl draft gourami, and i dono the name, 2 baby bird...

i will post the image soon...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
leo

Post by leo »

these are some of my pet in indonesia

just changing the water

these chiclid breeding like mad, breeding in thousand at once..

these baby bird is wild cought, ti think about 3 week olds, 1 hour once hand feeding, even at night...

when i bought them, they was almost dying, the shop keeper didnot know how to hand feed them and let them eat themselve...

guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh dear, thats sad Leo! Poor lil birdies! Very cute though. :wink:

ringneck wrote:for me, praying mantises and silk worms:) i enjoy having exotic mantis--once that look like flowers 8)

cool post:)

The other week, the birds were screaming horrendously at something, I ran over the the cages and sitting ontop of Jibbys cage was a beautiful green praying mantis! I like them.. probably the only insect that doesnt scare me. Funny because I'm terrified of anything alien looking, but mantis are very cool! :lol: Cockroaches and any spider, even the tiniest of them.. makes me run.. and cry.. :lol:
When I was little I used to love poking snails eyes, very wrong I know! The thought of it now makes me sad for the poor snails! :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Lucky you were there to rescue the baby birds Leo. You actually saved their life!

The video is so sweet :) Love the way their little wings flap when you feed them. And how cute is the little one in the cage wanting to get some dinner as well. :)

Hey Lauren, I used to touch the snails eyes to. :? I found it fasinating how "bouncy" they were. Like you I feel bad I did that now. :(
giantfoot_truck

Hey Leo its good to have you back here! :D

Ikan nya bagus bagus! And hey thats a cute little baby! It somehow looks like a baby kookaburra, whats their name? They must very thankful that you bought them, otherwise they will die at the petstore... :(
leo

Post by leo »

thanks giant foot...

ya...i felt blessed to have both of them, now they are under my mum anywacare in indonesia...

anyway, indonesia we called them burung pentet/ pentet bird...
here is the bird when they mature, they are song bird
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbjT9dQ1Vj8&feature=related

the fish is called nila in indonesia...

anyway...i like your piranha...where do you get them?
do you need lisance, expensive?
julie

Post by julie »

ringneck wrote:for me, praying mantises and silk worms:) i enjoy having exotic mantis--once that look like flowers 8)
l post:)

Praying mantis is the one thing that I cant go near, most people its snakes,spiders. for me it pray mantis :(
here is some pics of our 8 week old bearded dragons
julie

Post by julie »

Monty our Murray darling carpet python.
julie

Post by julie »

leo wrote:

these baby bird is wild cought, ti think about 3 week olds, 1 hour once hand feeding, even at night...

when i bought them, they was almost dying, the shop keeper didnot know how to hand feed them and let them eat themselve...

ucket.com/albums/cc29/leogapro/th_P3281350.jpg[/img][/URL]

Its a shame that people take birds from the wild, and a bigger shame that petshops have them when they dont know what they are doing :cry:

Is anyone else looking at that picture and thinking "two little dickey birds sitting in a tree"
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

ahahahaaaa i am now
giantfoot_truck

Thats a tiny bearded dragon! Cute though.

Leo no you dont need any license to raise piranha, and yes its expensive.
coccinelle888

My little pets!!

Post by coccinelle888 »

I have four of these little guys and have bottle fed them since they were pink.The mom was hit by a car.They are so wonderful and come when they are called.They are an amazing pet.