how do you tell if hes just molting

Moderator: Mods

my_monkey

how do you tell if hes just molting

Post by my_monkey »

hi my ringneck monkey looks well he has nice coloring but his feathers mainly the chest ones dont look so good but he acts fine he eats really good and is doing great but his feathers on his chest are not all there yep hes got a bald spot
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh dear, balding is not good. Can you take him to an avian vet for a check up? Do they just fall out or do you notice that hes plucking them out? Has he been sprayed for mites and lice? Has he come into contact with any other birds recently? Generally, IRNs are not known to pluck but I would still watch him.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
my_monkey

Post by my_monkey »

a women dropped him off at my friends cythias she owns a pet store and so i dont know what the deal was and other then the other birds and yes he is plucking out his feathers just his chest ones. i was telling my husband that monkey went from a quiet envoriment to a household with kids and dogs lol my husband says his feathers are slowly growing back in but he is going through a lot the bird is. and yes we sprayed him for mites and lice and have washed his cage and monkey likes to take showers so i am giving him two eweeks and if he dont get better hes going to a vet...
Donna

Post by Donna »

I have 2 IRN pluckers and I have had every test possible done on them. There are so many reason a bird will start plucking so your first thing to do is rule out any medical problems and the vet will want to take blood samples to do this. Other things that can cause plucking is enviormental stress such as new surroundings new people new cage toys other animals. Other reasons is hormonal and food allergies. I come to find out that I have a ringneck that is highly allergic to peppers of any kind and most seed mixes have peppers in them. If a bird is on an all seed diet or an all pellet diet this could cause them to pluck also. Then there are your pluckers that just do for no other reason except habit.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

tis like biting your nails isnt it >_< ...that is if it is plucking
nil

Post by nil »

tis like biting your nails isnt it

yes its the same but also more violent.
there are pluckrers that are self mutilations too, they may do serious injuries in their body.
was telling my husband that monkey went from a quiet envoriment to a household with kids and dogs lol

this maybe the reason of plucking
try to put him at a calm side of house , near by a wall or in a corner, dont make things or voices that may affraid him.
also asuure him a 12 hours sleep in dark and as silent you can
i hope these works on monkey
good luck
my_monkey

Post by my_monkey »

well monkey is doing great and yep his feathers are growing back lol we have him in the bedroom at night and during the day the kitchen. and monkey is quite the alarm clock every morning at 7:30 he start squacking sorry bad spelling lol i eat breakfast with him every morning before i go to work and play with him when i get home and well i think he does like living with us verse the shop lol
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Sounds like your Monkey is starting to adjust to his new family. :)