Do Males spend time in the box after hatching eggs?

Moderator: Mods

Peachykeen

Do Males spend time in the box after hatching eggs?

Post by Peachykeen »

I notice that my male goes into the box often and I was wondering if this is normal. He feeds the female from the nestbox entry but sometime he goes in the box too.

I have seen pictures taken of babies on the web and both parents are in the box but I have never read anything about how much of a role the male plays in rearing the chicks.

I am just a bit nervous after my recent loss. We just had our next pair hatch a baby today. I have not looked in the box- I am scared to bother them. I just hear the baby in there this morning when I was changing the water and giving some veggie.

Any thoughts would be appreciated~

Thanks!
Suzanne- NC- USA
nil

Post by nil »

it is normal, dont afraid
male feeds both , female and children too.
he is a good father :)
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

thank you nil- Sighs with relief [img]http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/studsmatta.gif
[/img]
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Same experience here. While some of my males feed at the entrance, others go inside the nestbox to feed the mom and the kids. I even have a male IRN that crawls in bed with his lady on cold lonely nights only. Can you blame him? :lol: Most nights however, he would rather ardently sit on the perch along with the other neighboring males, drinking beer and talking football while keeping a vigilant eye on the aviary.

Hens have idiosyncrasies as well. As an example, some of my hens will leave their nests quietly if I knock on it. Meanwhile, others will never leave their nests no matter what. They'll crawl into a corner while they suspiciously watch me as I inspect or band their chicks. Two of my hens will leave their nests if the inspection door is left open for a minute or so.

As you can see, each IRN has their own peculiarities ... and in time, you'll get to know how each behave during the breeding season.

Congrats on your new hatches. Hopefully the outcome will be better this time.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thank you J-

I have not looked in the nestbox- I still heard little peeps this morning when I went in to give them fresh water and some veggie. So, the baby is still alive. I want to peek- but I will wait until they are a little bit older.

The male seems to be doing a good job of feeding mom and she does come out and eat herself now. She is one of those that while I am in there she rarely comes out. She did come out this morning for some veggies.

I give them crushed egg shell for calcium and I was wondering how often I should do that. A couple of times a week- once a week. I just sprinkle some on the veggies.
Suzanne- NC- USA
nil

Post by nil »

as i see Peachykeen they are both good parents.

a whole hard boiled egg is better, not only the shells, they need protein also, or you can use a multivitamin and amino acids supplement.

Also probiotics ( microorganisms) is very useful for babies.
they are many of them in the market for drinking water or adding on the chopped vegetables and fruits.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

They are on a pellet diet- with the fresh fruits and veggies. I have not had the opportunity this season to grow some sprouts. They get peanuts about 3 times a week as a treat- 1-2 each; thats like 4-6 nuts if no one drops anything..lol - I have not given the hard boiled egg cause I didn't want it to spoil in the tray and stink in the aviary. I have not changed their cage liner since about 2 weeks ago and don't want to start a ruckus until after the babies are pulled. But it sounds like something they would enjoy when they are not with babies.

Are the peanuts doing the trick for protein in the mean time??
Suzanne- NC- USA
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Well momma was out of her box and I was just talkin to them while I was giving the afternoon snack and she seemed really calm so I took a peek in the box.

OMGoodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are three babies in there. I really only expect 1 maybe two at this point. But there are 3!!!!!!!!!!

They look good. It was spontanous so I didn't have a camera- darn it. But there will be other days. I was just lucky to get a look today.

I just thought I would share the GOOD NEWS~
Suzanne- NC- USA
nil

Post by nil »

great news Peachykeen, my congrats :)
i am waiting for the pics

yes peanuts have many protein,
neither i give eggs to my birds except lazaros my pet, but i use supplements and give all year 5 peanuts per bird per day, they are crazy with peanuts and can eat more but are full of fat so i dont give them more.
peanuts 100 gr
Water g 6.50
Energy kcal 567
Energy kj 2374
Protein g 25.80
Total lipid (fat) g 49.24
Ash g 2.33
Carbohydrate, by difference g 16.13
Fiber, total dietary g 8.5
Sugars, total g 3.97
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Tell me about nil- they would eat the WHOLE bag if I left it to them to decide. They wouldn't be worth a hoot at eating anything else! :D

I will up their peanuts to everyday- so they are getting more protein in the diet. They won't mind at all...lol

As soon as I have another oportunity to calmly have a peek at the babies- I will get a picture!
Suzanne- NC- USA
nil

Post by nil »

i think you must start to visit babies every day
to prevent anything bad and after few days you must change the material of your nest.
babies, as you know, mess up :)
its better to not disturb the female in nest but when she is out you can go to babies to see and clean.
what material do you use?
i am waiting for the pics
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Looks like they are all the same size. They must have hatched on the same day. This will make them 2days old.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Nice!

Are those chicks and egg on bare floor with no nesting material? Just curious.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Peachykeen wrote:I give them crushed egg shell for calcium and I was wondering how often I should do that. A couple of times a week- once a week. I just sprinkle some on the veggies.

Since my birds are on a Roudybush pellet diet (with fresh fruits and veggies and occasional seeds and nuts) I never had the need to give crushed eggs or any calcium supplement. The pellet that I chose has 20% protein, 3% fat, 2% fiber, and 1% calcium. That's all the calcium that any egg-layer or developing chick is ever going to need.

Something to note however. Vitamin D3 is needed to properly metabolize calcium. You can give all the calcium that you want to your birds but with insufficient Vitamin D3, their system is just going to reject the excess calcium. Vitamin D3 is not found in seeds, fruits nor vegetables. Birds exposed to sunlight will manufacture their own Vitamin D3 but not all my birds have the luxury of adequate direct sunlight so I chose a pellet that is adequately infused with Vitamin D3. These are some of the reasons why I am a strong proponent of pelletized diets.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Yep you see right Jay- She threw every stinking bit out- I put it in and she throws it out. We are pulling them in about 10 days- so I think we will be ok with the spaddle leg. They seem to be standing well. I checked on them again as she doesn't seem to mind it this afternoon while she was out of the box and all three were sitting properly- but I still don't want to chance a sprawling leg chick. She is kinda forcing my hand on taking them a bit early. I was going to leave them the full 14 days from the last chick but that egg still hasn't hatched and it could.

I know- I am as concerned as you are- With the new nestboxes she should want to leave a bit in and I am going to put some of the ( I forget what it is call ) rubber/plastic mat thing down in there under the nesting material in case she manages to haul it up 24 inches...lol - Its the same material some people use in the brooders to help with traction??

I am just please as punch with how well mom is handling the chicks and herself!
Suzanne- NC- USA
nil

Post by nil »

what nice babies!
but you must use a material for the nest and change it soon, otherwise how will you clean the nest?
i use hay ( this for rabbits)
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

We are taking them out in the morning and putting in some bedding. I pray all goes well!

Thanks Nil for all your advise and help. I posted another thread on the red eyes that is pretty interesting. I am SUPER excited to see what little feather come out!
Suzanne- NC- USA