How much do you handle your IRN?

Moderator: Mods

lovemybirds

How much do you handle your IRN?

Post by lovemybirds »

How often do you handle your bird? How long each day? Do you let the bird dictate how much and how long?

At the moment Cookie won't let me handle him/her for very long at all. :( It will step up from it's cage, and come out with no problems. As soon as I sit down for a pat, it wants to escape from me. It won't take treats from me yet either. Is there a trick to getting them to want to stay with you?

Cookie was returned to the petshop before we got it, because the previous owners didn't have enough time for it. We were told once an IRN becomes 'untamed' they can't be retamed. What is your experience with this? I know Cookie isn't that far gone, I was just wondering if this statement was true.

Look forward to any replies!

Thanks....
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon is handled every day all day pretty much, he is never locked in his cage if someone is home so he always has attention.

We have been doing that with him since he was 7 weeks so it would be a shock to his system if he was to be locked up when people are home
Sharlene and Amazon
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I don't believe you cannot tame and untamed bird. It might be a little harder to gain trust with an untamed bird but its possible, just have to put the time and patience into working with him.

I have been trying a slow approach with Yoda. I am completely letting him come to me, I'm not trying to pet him and hold him. Its a slow gain of trust. I think I'm almost there with Yoda, he let me touch his beak the other week without snapping at me. Its taken a year. Yoda loves preening me.. and talking to me :), but I can only touch him on his terms. It helps if you have something they want!

Jibby was much easier, he was tame when we got him, hes an odd one hehe, never had a problem with him, always been trusting of me, hes such a relaxed boy!

My 2 are out of the cage from sunrise to sunset unless I go out. They prefer to hang out together, flying about and playing, but they come to me when they prefer time apart or some quiet cuddle time. They also put themselves in their own cages for naps and bedtime. But they are always going in and out of the cages as they please. I have the cages right next to the computer so most of the day they are right next to me, unless they are playing in the bathroom together hehe. So I guess I interact with them all day. That will of course change when I get a job.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
riantango08

Post by riantango08 »

tango is out of her cage every day and only goes back in her cage to eat or at night time to go to bed.
she is usually always on my shoulder or my head,or even on my sons shoulders,till she gets a bit nippy and wants to have his ear for lunch.

tango doesnt like hands but is quite happy to be by my side all day,to hop off her cage she will hop on my shoulder and will bite me if i use my hands,it seems to be getting easier with my hands, slowly getting used to them.
but as with all things it just takes time and patience.
good luck u will get there :)
lovemybirds

Post by lovemybirds »

I had a bit of a breakthrough today! :D Cookie let me hold her gently and give her a bit of a scratch around the back of the neck. 8) As soon as I went to move my hand that was cupping her to my chest, she wanted to take off. :? She will happily sit on my shoulder too.

I'm happy with this, and hopefully in time she will gladly sit there while I give her a scratch. :D

(I'm calling Cookie a her, coz this is what we were told she was, but hasn't been DNA sexed, so don't know for sure :wink: )
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

well done on the breakthough, just keep going at her pace and you guys will get there.:)
Sharlene and Amazon
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

ill probably get critised for this, but Spit is only let out of his cage a few times a week for an hour or so. He isnt tame at all, but hes getting there. We only let him out if hes behaving, like if he hasnt tried to bite us that day or if he hasnt been deafening with his screams. When we first got him he wouldnt come near us, then he started taking treats from our hands thru the bars, now he will fly and land on our arms for treats. he hates hands and wont come near them so he doesnt hang around for long. recently weve managed to get him to step up onto a perch and stay on a tabletop playstand.

It's taken 8 months and we cant touch him at all but i think hes becoming tame. hes started trying to talk to me aswell if i sit near his cage. im determined to get to the point where i can put my hand near him, not necesserily touching him, but so he doesnt bite or get scared.

i believe, that you can tame an untamed bird
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey is out of his cage if I am home. First thing in the morning he will sit on the edge and wait for my hand so he can step up. He really likes alot of cuddles and hang out time first thing. If I am home, he will choose for himself. He goes in and out of his cage which is in the lounge, so close to me when I am watching tv, on the computer or whatever. He will also come to me of his own free will for a cuddle or some hangout time or sometimes he just wants to have a stickybeak into what I am doing :lol: :lol: . Sometimes he will sleep on my shouder or knee and other times he will go 'home' for a nap - his choice. He loves being patted however only with the right hand :? :? He loves a belly rub, a beak rub and his toes stroked, he makes funny little noises when I do this. :)
nil

Post by nil »

lazaros is out of his cage 1 hour everyday in the evening before bed.
When i return home from my job, this is about 6-7 pm, lazaros begin to call me to move him out. He understand me when i was a few stairs before the door.
So soon i put him out and he flies many times around rooms and then i feed him with a sooftfood, fruits and other treats and finally plays with me and his toys.
My other 10 birds live as pairs in cages all time.
i wished to spend more time with my lovely birds but unfortunately i havent more free time :(
WasasMum

Post by WasasMum »

Wasa is only in his cage when we go to work. Other than that he is out with us, but usually just does his own thing, like walking on the floor or swinging off the curtains - or pulling the bloody keys off my lap top - general destructive behaviour.

He will come over to us when he wants a smooch or wants some of my drink :) he has recently discovered the joys of ice !!!!! so funny to watch a bird come over and take a massive icecube out of glass of water and sit at the back of the lounge chair with the little tounge going nuts.