can i mate a pet? i need your advice

Moderator: Mods

nil

can i mate a pet? i need your advice

Post by nil »

i have many irns for many years but all of them are breeders, lived as pairs.
I have a pet also, lazaros 10 months old.
I have him since was 2 weeks old, because his parents abandoned him so i took him home to handfeeding.
Now lazaros is a very pretty and tame bird and have a very strong relationship with me, i think also total reliance on me.
He jealous very much and he cant stay with, not even see, other bird.
I love him too much for another reason, he is the only grandchild of otos my first irn who died before 2 years, this was my most foul day in my life.
I think some day to mate lazaros with a female, because i would so much
a child of him and maybe lazaros with his mate will be more independent.
But i dont know how i do this, what do you suggest me?
The female must be very young to handfeeding, but lazaros maybe jealous her. How can i tame a new irn with lazaros in the same place?
Last edited by nil on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Nil I tried this very thing with my very tame bonded to me pet ringneck just this year. I tried it because the vet said he was a hormonal plucker.
But I just couldn't get him interested enough in a female, I tried 3 females with him and he wants noting to do with them.

I tried with a female that was hand raised and was a pet and i have tried with 2 females that were only breeders. So my experience with this did not work out, maybe there is somebody out there that has had success but I didn't.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
nil

Post by nil »

thank you donna
how long did you try with the females?
maybe it needs more time, maybe a year or more :?:
was your male unconcerned or antagonistic with females?
i have a plucker 8 months now ( lazaros father 6 years old ) and i have try many things but without good results. How do your vet find that is a hormonal problem, did he some tests? Do you give him any medicines for that?
I have found that a homoeopathic gives good results so i started from monday with this, it is the rescue remedy by dr bach. I hope for something good.
Donna

Post by Donna »

How do your vet find that is a hormonal problem, did he some tests? Do you give him any medicines for that?

Nil my vet run all kinds of test on my male plucker to rule out any diseases and she could feel his testicles were enlarged to the point that they were pushing on other organs. She suggested putting him with a female.
I suppose I did not give them enough time to bond but I just couldn't stand by and watch him get beat up or injured by any of them. It really doesn't bother me that much that he continues to pluck he is happy just being my pet.
What is this rescue remedy you speak of? can I get that here in the U.S.? I will try it if I can get it. I have also started him on red palm oil and have noticed some change in the condition of his feathers.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
nil

Post by nil »

donna
What is this rescue remedy you speak of? can I get that here in the U.S.? I will try it if I can get it.

i follow a featherpeacking forum (Featherpicking@yahoogroups.com) and i read there that rescue remedy has good results in some cases.
yes you can find it in : http://www.rescueremedy.com/contact/
http://www.rescueremedy.com/pdf/petBrochure070108.pdf
The proposal doses are :
1) 3-5 drops in a piece of fruit or other treat 3-4 times in a day, because this contain alcohol i think it must remain for few minutes before eat, or
2) 4-8 drops per 90 ml of drinking water
in this forum i see also that in some cases good results have also the haloperidin and atarax (hydroxyzime)
before years i have tried with haloperidin ( haloperidrol) in drinking water, immentiatelly i saw stop plucking but after 10 days the plucking start again, maybe it needs more but i was afraid this and i stopped it.
These are strong medicines and i think must be the last solution, but the remedy is absolutely safe.
good luck
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

more so curious so many people say that handraised babies are not good breeders is this true because if it is you probably dont want to breed lazaros.
on another note donna is that your bird in your avatar he/she is beautiful
nil

Post by nil »

thanks alana but i dont understand you :oops: :)
plz explain it to me
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

hi nil if you hand fed lazaros apparently he wont make a good breeder i am not sure why but i have heard alot of people say not to use hand raised babies to breed that only parent raised birds are good breeders.
not sure if it is true though.
Lene

Post by Lene »

I think if the bird knows he's a bird, it should be possible, but if he's imprinted on humans it may not be.
Cheers

Lene
nil

Post by nil »

thank you all :)

when lazaros was 2 months old, i moved him in a room in the basefloor with all my others bird and i left him there for few hours. Lazaros was sat in a corner of his cage and looked so sad, so i moved him in my house again.
I dont know what i ll do.
I think i ll try to mate him after 1-2 years