Training

Moderator: Mods

fiona

Training

Post by fiona »

I clicker train Fiona. So far she is doing great with target training . She will go in her cage when told to and plays ball(we roll the ball back and forth). Has anyone done any extensive training or clicker training with their ringneck?
Last edited by fiona on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lene

Post by Lene »

That's fantastic, Fiona. Targeting is the most useful behaviour you can teach your bird. It completely eliminates the problem of getting our birds back in the cages.

So far, I'm only doing targeting with Paulie. He loves it.

I have done extensive training with Duke, GCC.
Cheers

Lene
fiona

Post by fiona »

How do you keep your GCC interested? Fiona catches on really quickly, but gets angry that she has to preform for treats and training sessions only last about 3 min. Do you think this is normal for an IRN? Training usually occurs in my room and I allow her to walk back to her cage when she is finished. Also I give her preformance windows and if she does not do a behavior(that she knows well) in a given time, I turn away. Any other tips/advice? Currently we are are working on putting her balls and other toys in a jar.
Last edited by fiona on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lene

Post by Lene »

I have only found my birds getting unintestered if they can't work out what you want.... I can do targeting for 15 minutes without any boredom... I move the stick quickly to the other side and level of the cage.. Keep the treats small - The smaller they are, the more training you can do.

When they've 'got' it, you move up a step, and if they haven't, you move down a step... Make it fun for both of you.
Cheers

Lene
fiona

Post by fiona »

Maybe Fiona is just lazy. When she is in a bad mood and I try targeting, she'll move away from the target, pin her eyes, look at the target, and take it out on a toy sometimes screaming. There's no doubt in my mind she knows what I want. I use very small, soft pellet like treats. As far as our current project, she is still getting the idea of putting her toys up and putting her balls in the jar is like asking her not to breathe. She really enjoys throwing them everywhere. Right now she stays perched on the jar and I hand her toys, waiting for her to drop one in. When she gets that, I'll assign a command and work on getting the toy herself and putting it in the jar.
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi

I would use a treat which your bird finds absolutely irrestible, and only give that during training. I use sunflower seeds for my birds.

Also I don't use their toys for training props. With Duke, GCC, I collected plastic tops from bottles, and showed him physically what to do (putting them into the bowl on the table). I started with just one cap on the table, and when he persistenly put it in the bowl, I no longer clicked, but he always got a treat upon completion. Then we worked with 2 caps, 3 caps etc up to 10. He would get them all in the bowl before his C/T.

Mind you, it took me 1.5 months to teach Duke the retrive - I just couldn't make him understand :oops:
Cheers

Lene
fiona

Post by fiona »

She has this love/hate thing going on with her balls and nothing makes her happier that beating the crap out of them. She would throw them or hit them with her beak and if it came near us we just naturally rolled it back. This turned into a game. Our goal is to roll the ball past her. Her goal is to stop it We also have played this by trying to toss balls in her "roll-a-nest" while she is perching on it.......so you can see why it is hard for her to learn to put stuff in a jar and not keep it out! :lol:
I have demonstrated for her and she is much more willing to put her plastic rings in a jar. She was playing today and put a ball in on her own, but I wasn't paying attention, so I didn't get to reinforce it. :roll:
I will try some different treats.
skibum

Post by skibum »

Hey Lene, at what age should you start this training stuff. Ziggy just wants to chew everything.
and I mean everything!!
She is only 13 weeks. Sleeping on my other hand as I type this (awkward).
Thanks
Stu
Lene

Post by Lene »

I start the training as soon as they will take treats, and have been fully weaned.
Cheers

Lene
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

what is clicker training how dose it work and were do u start thank you lucy
Donna

Post by Donna »

In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both