Question

Moderator: Mods

Loretta

Question

Post by Loretta »

Hi Everyone,

I am wanting to breed ringnecks and with the prices of them here in Pennsylvania, my husband and I are very concerned that we would invest alot in buying male and females and then not have a male that the females like.

I know this sounds silly :roll: but it is something that we need to understand before going any furthur. If the hen is that particular about who she accepts then how can you know without possibly having to buy 10 males to say, before she finds one she likes and accepts

Hope this makes sense
Feel free to think I am looney :lol:

Loretta
Jodie

looking into breeding

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I am no expert, but have run into a problem like what you are describing. My problem had to do with a too young of a male with a more mature female. Luckily for me, I played musical partners. I had the game plan for the best mutation colors, but it did not work out exactly how I wanted. Indian ringnecks do not breed for life. You can, although some do not, switch out partners. The best advice is to place the birds next to one another so they can catch one another's eye. If they bred with another partner this partner cannot be in sight. For the most part, the female is in charge, but I have seen aggressive males. You should keep a close eye on the combined pairs even weeks after you pair them (with my problem hen it was almost a month when I noticed her nipping at her male). When the female is ready she will normally mate with whatever male she is with. They say ringnecks are the easier bird to breed. Some people pair older males with females early before maturation so they will bond. But I have read that it is better to match a proven male with a two year old hen. I have one pair now that just gave me two clutches and she definately wanted her space and these two are bonded! I have them in cages next to one another. If you keep a close eye and ear on your birds you will know. I have invested a pretty good amount and understand where you are coming from (it would be awful if the hen killed the male!). Hopefully this helps!
Loretta

Post by Loretta »

That helps me some thank you. I have a Lutino that I know is mature he has a red ring but the hen has always been with the blue male.

Oddly enough they all were bought and sent to the pet store from the same place in Hawaii, then they were placed together with the Lutino and also another parrot. I went into the store and visited with them many many times before I bought them. Even when all 3 birds were in the store the 2 blue ones stayed in their own space together and I bought them together and brought them home to the same cage on the 19th

Then on the 31st I brought the Lutino home from the pet store. The worker thought that they would be happy to see each other again. Even though I have a seperate cage for the Lutino, I took him over to their cage to see how they would react and the hen almost took his head off.

Altogether the 3 birds costs us almost a thousand dollars and I wouldn't want to lose any of them.

The blue ringnecks stay in the nestbox alot especially at night but I have not seen anything of an egg. Maybe I am just in too big of a hurry.

Loretta
Loretta

Meet My Babies

Post by Loretta »

Loretta

sorry wrong url

Post by Loretta »

Jodie

cost of ringnecks

Post by Jodie »

You spent almost a grand, Ouch! I have spent alittle more than that and have five pairs which I had to fly in. Pet stores are real good at marking up. May I suggest that if you would like to expand your line check out up at six classifieds online. I view this site to research prices and what is available out there. The website is http://www.upatsix.com/classifieds/fs_results.php If this does not work type in Up at six classifieds on your search engine. But there are two people in Pennsylvannia that have listed breeders for sale. One on 12/18/04 listed two green females for $60.00 a piece. The other has a website www.geislerspameredparrots.com They had three pairs a blue for $450.00; a blue male with an albino female; turquoise male with a lutino listed on 11/17/04 and relisted later saying they would take $1100.00 for all three pairs.
It is all a gamble when purchasing breeder birds. I have already been lied to on age of a bird I bought. But it is a good idea to research what other breeders are near you. If you intend to breed them you have to keep in mind whether you can sell them. It sounds like you only have one pair which could give you four to eight babies within a few months! It was real hard for me to sell my first babies, but I really did not have cage space for all of them! They all go through so much food too, especially when they are feeding their babies!
Anyways! Hope this helps!
goro

Re: cost of ringnecks

Post by goro »

green do go for 60 bucks
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ooooh Jeeeeereeeeeemyyyy.

Wheeeere arrrrree yoooou?

Men, never there when ya need um. :roll:

hehe
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I must have missed this post somehow :x

Loretta, they will generally pair up, i have only ever had 1 pair that didn't like each other, after many fights and a bit of blood, they finally settled down a mated :roll: You really don't have to worry about them not excepting each other, they should be fine. All my pairs weren't particularly bonded, but they all bred this season, now, having all had babies, they have stronger bonds with there partners and actually sit next to each other now :lol:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hrm, after many fights and a bit of blood they mated... there may be hope for my husband and I. :twisted:
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

:lol: Oh Mikaela, you are a crack up sometimes :lol: