Why do their eyes pin

Moderator: Mods

jen5239
Community Greeter

Why do their eyes pin

Post by jen5239 »

Hey everyone,
This may be a silly ? But why do their eyes pin when they're playing? Or eating? I've noticed Byndi's eyes pinning when doing both. Just wondering.

Thanks,
Jen & Byndi
Dani03

Pinning

Post by Dani03 »

Hi again! Their eyes pin mostly when they are excited or agitated. Normally when they 'lunge' for you, you will see their eyes pin. Or when they play with a toy again they pin. However some birds rarely do it and some all the time. Take Mikaela's Baby, apparently she NEVER has pinned her eyes...so you never know with these birds :wink:

Dani and Prinny
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Dan is right, although she is just a baby. You can see her little mouse eyes in my avatar.

Thank you Dani for thinking of me and Baby.... :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

hehehe...

Post by Dani03 »

Of course Mikaela...I just love Baby! It is kind of weird that she doesn't pin though...Prinny is just about the same age as Baby and she pins all the time, then again she is an albino. Her irises are really easy to see. Baby is cute though with her completely black eyes...

Dani and Prinny
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Thanks Dani & Mikaela! I wasn't sure if this was something they just did or what. Byndi pins his eyes when he's eating, when he's playing and if I'm trying to stick my hand in his cage. I know that's from anger. But I wasn't sure why he was doing it when he ate and played. Kind of had a break thru the other day! He was sitting on my shoulder for an hour and didn't try to bite me at all. And I even got to kiss him on his beak several times. He too kissed back, and didn't bite me. You know how birds grab your lip with their beak? Well he did that to me several times and never once bit me. I was so happy. Now yesterday he didn't try to come out of his cage at all. And I didn't force the issue. But every time I spoke to him he would make a little noise. Which was sweet. So we're getting there. Slowly but surely!

Jen & Byndi
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

If the light is juuuust right you can see a TINY little bit of pinning sometimes, it is a little lighter black though haha. Actually a very dark grey and it is only the faintess bit ever so often.

Ohhhhh I wish she wouldnt ever pin! That would be great! A good learning experience for all of us too.
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Birds can control their irises, which contracts over the pupil.

This allows them to instantly focus on something specific. Which is why they pin just befor biting.

Birds cannot rotate their eyes, which is why they move their head to look at things, and pin to focus at said object.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Maybe because she is so brave (thinks she is 20 ft tall) and I hand-raised her, she has never felt the need to pin?

At one point, I actually thought her to be blind but did the Helen Keller thing with her and she isnt. She couldnt give hi-five if she was blind either, unless she can sense where my hand is.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Babys have the very cute solid black eyes, when they grow older they lose that and you will see when she pins alot easier. It's funny when I turn the light on in the bird room, Kiva has pinned eyes and looks groggy. It's kinda freaky actually. I couldnt get a photo of the pinned eyes but if i ever do I'll post it.

Wow I never realised how much he changed. I guess this is a good way to tell an adult from a baby. When he gets his ring I'll post another comparison if we are all still here then :p

Kiva at around 1 year old, and kiva as a baby

Chicken at around the same
Dani03

hehehe...chicken???

Post by Dani03 »

Neokireina, I have to ask...how did your lutino get the name Chicken???

Dani and Prinny
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

The beak gives the sex away EVERYTIME. No matter how young or old. I dont see what the big deal is with sexing, the beak makes it almost as obvious as a ring would!

For example, compare her baby boy with my baby girl. Her baby's beak is much lower and less pronounce (flatter), as boys always are. I should get paid for this :lol: Girls beaks are higher and arent as flat. Their beaks start almost right between their eyes... much higher than a boy.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I was on another forum and I think someone referred their Lutino IRN to a yellow chicken and it kinda stuck. I dunno. I tend to nickname things and it just sticks.