I did have one more question..

Moderator: Mods

Peachykeen

I did have one more question..

Post by Peachykeen »

Will IRN lay on a bare floor nestbox??? As I mentioned in the other post the female throws out but never brings back in.

Thanks!
Suzanne
Suzanne- NC- USA
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I guess they will lay on bare floor even though I have read that it could cause splayed legs in the chicks with nothing for them to grip on as they grow. For my IRN I had a very deep (about 2ft deep) nest box I put about 3inches of nesting material. That way she scratched it about but there was still some in the bottom of the box :)
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thank you pinkd.

I had saw a few mentions of this splayed leg... but I didn't know that it was bare floor nest boxes that caused it.

Thank you for replying!

Suzanne
Suzanne- NC- USA
Melika

Post by Melika »

And, in addition to making a deep bed, you can jam the nesting material down as much as you can, leaving a little hallow for her to begin her furniture arranging. That might help, if it's not all loose inside. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Peachykeen

Building Nest

Post by Peachykeen »

I am ashamed to say it- BUT I have tried to help this last time she through it all out. I put moss in there and it is very tangly. I thought it would give her more of a challenge and I made this hole down the center... that little bugger took all out. I think I am going to have to put in a deeper box.

How will this affect them if they have started mating already- in other words she is making the egg. Now- I have to say this is an aspect I am unfamiliar with. I am going to assume that it takes more than 2 days to make an egg.... however, I could be dead wrong.

So if I give her a deeper box will it hurt the cycle as it stands???
Suzanne- NC- USA
Donna

Post by Donna »

Don't use moss for bedding material, it will hold moisture and bacteria and mold will infest your nest box making chicks very sick. Aspen wood shavings is best to line nest boxes with Not Cedar or Pine chips.

It's very clear to me you did not do any research on breeding birds before you bought the breeder birds :( Now it's a crash course and now you need to start reading up on incubation, brooding, and handfeeding.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Wow Donna... you don't know anything about me. I am thankful for all that gave positive feedback without judgment. I am not stupid Donna. I care about my birds a great deal or I wouldn't have bother to ask questions in the first place.

Let me say this Donna... I have done HOURS upon HOURS of research and quiet frankly - Breeding information is limited to what I have seen and repetitive. Which is why I came here to an "IRN" news board to get help on what I didn't know about. NOT to be insulted.

I did not load the nestbox with moss and I would have NEVER put it in there if I thought it would hurt them in any way shape form or fashion. If if I was a breeder without a heart and just cared about profit EVEN an idiot would not intentionally do something to hurt their "cash cows".

So- thank you for your information. And try to think before you start assuming someone didn't care enough to do research or that someone is just stupid. Isn't this a help board. Your not helping anyone by insulting them. You will just turn people away and end up costing the life of birds and make this information forum appear UNFRIENDLY and not a safe place to get information from.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

its ok

people add in stupid comments like that to me all the time

you know who you are and they dont so they have no right to judge you

Sounds like you just had a question on breeding THATS IT
-Justin
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thank you- :)

I have seen a few of your post around. All that I saw seemed very intellectual and helpful. I couldn't imagine why someone would want to give you a hard time :(
Suzanne- NC- USA
Donna

Post by Donna »

Sorry if you thought I was being rude but this is the first post I seen of yours and by the sound of it you went and bought breeder birds not knowing what you were getting yourself into. It happens all the time! I didn't in any way say that you were stupid (don't know where you read that). You don't know me either but I don't sugar coat the topic of breeding birds, it's not for everybody and you can't go into it blindfolded and there is some that just shouldn't do it at all.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
nil

Post by nil »

i use nests from wood ( closed box with a hole near roof),
i dont remember exactly the dimentions, i think about 30*30*40 cm.
I put inside (about 3- 4 cm) straw like the pet shops have for rabbits food.
usually the female throw out many of straw, and cut the other in small pieces, so i refil nest 1-2 times a week.
So final only few straw remain in nest, but it is enough.
I had success with this many years now.
bare floor is inappropriate because eggs is dangerous for slide away and crash.
Oliver and Justin

i shouldnt have said all the time

just some of my posts some people get a little ego going and say some stuff that really shouldnt be added in

but sounds like you got it worked out :wink:
-Justin
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Yeah- I get it. Thanks
Suzanne- NC- USA
Donna

Post by Donna »

I wish you wouldn't take our advise as being insulting or rude. We are all here to help in any way we can. Your post did not mention any experience in breeding birds and it just sounded like so many others that buy breeder birds put them in a cage and expect lots of babies. I wish it was that easy.
We want to help everybody.
You have to relize you have 4 breeding pairs and all 4 will go into breeding at the same time all 4 will have at least 4 eggs each, all eggs will hatch at about the same time and my concern was are you ready to handfeed about 10 to 16 baby birds at the same time? For a first time breeder of Indian Ringnecks this task could get overwelming to most people. We are not her to insult your intellgence or your ability to breed we just want you to know what to expect.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Oliver and Justin

umm how many eggs can irn lay at one time?
-Justin
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My green pair had 5 eggs
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

it is full on hand feeding alot at once my parents have two pair of breeding alexandrines and one pair of ringnecks, they only just got the alex pairs. but since they pull the ringies at roughly 3 weeks (they lay four eggs) the ringies lay again generally another 3. it can be full on at times. they have enlisted mine and my partners help with the next lot as the alex pairs all lay 4 at a time as well and will sometimes lay again according to the former breeder. but it is good that you are asking questions and trying to get the info you need better then doing it blindfolded :D
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thank you alana for your post... I know what a time consuming and careful task handfeeding is. I am SO excited about it. I look forward to some little babies to feed.

We have our nursery ready to go and should be getting some eggs around 17th of Feb through the following 2 weeks. As soon as they are pulled I will get some pictures taken. I don't want to take them out too early being this is the first time these birds have bred with me. I want to make sure that they do as much as they can.

I wish I could press record on my webcam- it has been interesting to watch them do their thing.

After they are done with this round.. I have wrote down everyones suggestions and advise and we are going to build them a bigger cage- the room they are in has the capability and we have built them larger nestboxes... even though they seem to be content with what they have- I want the boxes outside the cage so that I have easier access.

SO - :D Thank you so much to everyone who advised and I look forward to sharing my baby pics with you by March 1st!
Suzanne- NC- USA
Peachykeen

We have eggs!

Post by Peachykeen »

This is so awesome. I am so excited :D
Suzanne- NC- USA
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi... how's things going?
Cheers

Lene
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

We have an egg... very excited. The hen should lay another today if the every other day rule is followed. I am not going to bother too much with them until this weekend and then will check again and see how things are progressing.

Thanks for asking!
Suzanne- NC- USA
Peachykeen

UPdate

Post by Peachykeen »

My Turq female ended up with four of her own eggs and fostering another. Only one egg is good and should hatch out tomorrow. We could hear it peeping in the egg today.

The green female laid four eggs- all look good

The blue female that is in her own cage with mate appears to not know what she is doing and are guessing this might be her first try. She laid three eggs and has majorly dented 2 of them and the one left doesn't look fertile. I am going to leave them in the box until the incubation period is over. Poor girl. I feel for her and the Turq- particularly the Turq, she is a very attentive mother- at least she will get one baby for her effort.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Donna

Post by Donna »

Heres hoping for a peep tomorrow!!!!!

Donna :D
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Born at 11:14am March 14th 2008 :D
Suzanne- NC- USA
Bella

Post by Bella »

Oh gosh how cute :D Makes me want another fid :lol:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That is just an adorable photo.

Welcome to the world baby pippin.

:)
Peachykeen

Sad News

Post by Peachykeen »

:cry: Baby Pippin died today. Mom threw him from the nestbox and it was about a 4 foot fall. He lived for about an hour. We are all pretty devastated.

I am just mystified. I know this happens- it just has never happen to me before. I have alway been lucky in the past- never had a mom kill her babies or throw them from the nest. I was lucky. This being the first hatchling has just put a damper on things.

My husband wonders if it was because she had 4 other eggs and was just wanting to sit them ( they weren't good) that she threw him out. I just don't know. I just don't know.

Wow.. what a HIGH and LOW day. Lots of tears from the kids after a afternoon of joy.

I am going to rest. I am just spent. My little pippin. God Bless him.
Suzanne- NC- USA
nil

Post by nil »

sorry for your loss
god bless the baby

it was very strange , was it her first cluntch?
My husband wonders if it was because she had 4 other eggs and was just wanting to sit them ( they weren't good) that she threw him out. I just don't know.

no, it is logical to have babies and eggs at the same time

You must have your attention for the others?
Can you put some tray below the nest ?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh so sorry to hear the little one didn't make it :(
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

I don't know if this was her first clutch- it was with me. She was not nervous and stayed on the eggs.

He was just wondering since we knew the eggs were bad- should we have taken the when Pippin hatched as he was the only good egg.

We are all just blaming ourselves. Could have done this and should have done that.

You know..
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

First off, sorry for your loss. Sometimes, things like this still happen regardless how hard we try to make things work well for our birds.

Are you breeding in a communal scenario, as in no dedicated cage for each pair? I apologize if I am assuming wrong as this is what I gather from your posts, no?

One of my friends (a long time IRN breeder in Southern California) has a communal breeding flight and I hear mostly bad things about it... from dead chicks to dead parents or dead hatchlings, etc.

This year, I set-up seven pairs (some first timers) and all of them have laid eggs. They have dedicated cages and mates. The same amount of pairs bred me 36 chicks last year.

What I'm trying to say is while communal breeding may work for some, my personal opinion is that it isn't very conducive to productive breeding. If space is an issue, be advised that IRNs will breed like rabbits in a cage as small as 2'x2'x4'.

Additionally, while some parent birds tolerate constant inspection and intrusion... some will not and may react in a manner detrimental to their eggs (such as trampling on them) and harming their offsprings.

Eggs don't always ever hatch at the same time as they are laid at different times and hens usually incubate when only the second egg is laid. So if the Turquoise hen has been proven before, it would know how to take care her first hatch while continuing to incubate the rests. It is also possible that the male tossed out the baby.

As a side note, I always keep unhatched eggs with the hatchlings as they provide a additional support for the chicks and keep them warm when the parents are out feeding. I only remove the unhatched eggs when I band the babies after about 14 days.

Hope that helps.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

There we 2 pair in the cage- I had removed all the other birds and put them in their own cage. It was to late to change things around after the eggs got laid (IMO) so I left the two pair together. It was one male that mated to two females- so I was between a rock and a hard place their.

I was actually in the room when the bird was thrown out and I wonder if she was sitting and he kinda got stuck in her feet. I know I am grasping here- but the male didn't do it. I had gone in to give them some fresh veggies cause he was eating like a horse. I had opened the door to put the veggies in and I heard this thud and the female came out and landed on a branch. She went right back to the box and I pulled the bottom tray out and got him. we had a short debate about what to do and my husband and I decided that we would put him back in. After he died I noticed a blood pool on his underside and I am fairly sure he did in fact hurt himself in the fall. If I would have kept him out and in the brooder- he would have died anyway.

I will not put more than one pair together ever again. Their nest boxes will be different. They weren't deep enough.

I still have a female that is on four good eggs. I just pray that we don't have anymore deaths. She is alone with the male. I want so badly to put the nest box closer to the ground but I don't want to mess with her.

I have learned a lot through this. I have the deeper nest boxes- we built cages for each pair and the nest box will NOT be super high. I was even thinking about how to put some sort of netting under the opening of the nest box so if this happened again it would catch the baby instead of it falling so far. But I am sure there is some danger in doing that too. The new cages are 3x4x4.

I did think leaving the eggs in there was the right thing to do.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Although I have heard stories, in my personal experience breeding IRNs, none of my hens have ever intentionally harmed their youngsters. IRNs are very dedicated parents and they will even foster other birds not their species (not knowingly of course). That said, if I were to make a wild guess as to what had happened (assuming she is a proven hen and had raised young before) she may have been trying to evacuate her young because she was spooked at you entering the aviary? This incident happened at the time you were in their aviary correct?

Before I enter my aviaries, I make it a point to make my presence known gradually by either knocking or whistling. I have had the experience of a Violet hen cracking 2 out of 4 eggs because she was scrambling to escape the nestbox when I walked in.

Speaking of nestboxes, IRNs prefer theirs mounted high, dark, and deep for security. Mine are 12"x12"x24"deep and I hang them outside the cages for convenient inspection. I caulk the cracks between the woodboards and wrap the entire box with plastic to block any light from filtering in.

I agree with you that it is way too late to even mess with nestboxes.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thank you so much for the information. I do knock before I come in and I talk softly so they know I am there. I usually will spend some time with my Grey first talking to her- thats the routine-

I am just glad the x-mom is eating well herself- to be a mommy one minute and the next be in a cage alone is tough but I couldn't leave her in there. She got extremely aggressive after the baby was gone. She sure was not acting like a mom that threw her baby out. She seemed pissed. The other female came out to stretch her legs and the Turq female went after her- so I took her out. :(

Its almost over. I have to get these other babies born and out of the box and then we are on breeding vacation for the foreseeable future. We are just bumming too hard.

By the way- my husband asked me a question that I couldn't answer and I am curious because of aggression. I have my birds paired up male and female with no nestbox. BUT he asked when they breed again? The only time I have found is between dec-feb. They only mate once a year? Which is fine with me- but if there is another season coming up- I want to be prepared to keep a watch out and not let my guard down? No need to lose anyone else and I do not have everyone in indv. cages. We thought about doing a male cage and a female cage but that would not have been cost effect or logical with space when breeding season came in- of course this was before all this started going down. So, if anyone could advise for the Americas- Southeastern- when I should be advised that hormones can be on the rise- that would help a lot.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Peachykeen and all,

December-February is the START of the breeding season in North America (perhaps Northern Hemisphere for that matter). Eggs are laid as late as May. I have paired up some IRNs in early April and they bred anyway. So what I suggest is give your pair a nestbox quick! They may or may not lay eggs but you really have nothing to lose at this point. If anything, you and your pairs will gain some more breeding experience and that is always a good thing.

IRN pairs are not limited to one clutch per year. There is a very high probability that IRNs will triple-clutch when eggs are pulled (to foster under other pairs) and double-clutch when the youngest chick is around 2-3 weeks old, no earlier. The advantage is two-fold, your chicks will have sufficient time to accumulate antibodies from being fed by their parents and you would have shaved off some time from the tedious schedule that comes with handfeeding.

After the breeding season, it is okay to house the birds in big flights separated by gender. Mine are all gender and age mixed in 6'x6'x18' flights in front of my view deck so my friends and family can marvel on their beautiful colors come summer and fall.

Hope that helps.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Yikes.... let me know if I understand you correctly

So- there is a good chance of aggression since I do not have nest boxes on the cage and they are paired? If I put a nest box on will that bring down any aggression or just encourage them to breed?

What time of the year do you put them in the flight? We are trying to get one built outside but it is not ready yet.

What is their max temp and min temp tolerance Without supplement warmth and just shade?
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Give your pairs their own dedicated nestbox and breeding cage. If they are on a big flight, put a barrier made from chicken wire (they call it hardware cloth at Home Depot) so that other pairs will not harm them, their babies, nor their eggs.

Hens will be cranky if their hormones are screaming and no nestbox available.

I normally pair up my birds in December and gotten eggs as early as January. But like I said, I have paired some as late as April and they have bred for me nonetheless.

My IRNs are in outside aviaries and temperatures in my locale range from 28F to 110F. My IRNs do just fine without climate control. However, I provide wind shelters and barriers as drastic temperature changes brought about by the wind (esp. during the winter months) are known to harm birds.
nil

Post by nil »

I visited you site depois do prazer and i saw that you have done excellent work there :!:
what lovely birds you have
its so pity we are so far, i want many of them
until what age irns breeds?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Thanks Nil :D

IRNs are known to breed into their late 20's.
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Hey Depois How are you doing? haven't seen you for quite a while!
I like your website :)
Jay

Post by Jay »

hey GFT! assalamualaikum.

Been busy taking care of pressing issues at home and at work. Glad to see you and the rest of the bird-loving folks. A pleasure to see lots of new members as well.

:D

DDP
cathybarnhart

Post by cathybarnhart »

Breed your ringnecks agin peachiekeen because sometimes if this is their first breeding with you they'll do that.I had a pair that did it with me and then the second clutch and everytime after that they were perfect parents.And right now i'm handfeeding lutino ringnecks that are 5 days old as the parents let 2 babies die and i didn't want to take the chance of them letting these two die so i pulled them a couple days ago but i will just watch more carefully next time but will let them try agin because this is also the first time with me.
cathy barnhart
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thank you Cathy- He bred the Turq and a green female. The green female just had a baby hatch yesterday. The turq female is in a cage by herself. When the babies are pulled- we might try again this season but I am not expecting anything. I am not really pushing for another clutch BUT if they do decide to go on their own again- I do hope for a outcome like yours. She does deserve another chance to show she is a good mother.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Peach,

Do you have a picture of your nestboxes... especially the one where a baby died? Is there a retaining wall at the bottom to hold the nesting material and the babies? Looks to me from your pictures that there is a ledge .. or like a cliff where nesting materials and babies could fall over.

Here's a sample of what I use:

Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Those nestboxes look awesome!!

The nestboxes that we started with were cockatiel boxes because that is what I was told would be ok... they are the same ones you can pick up at any pet stop.
Suzanne- NC- USA
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

those boxes are smart! if i was a bird id quite happily have a family in them lol. i dunno if they are on all bird boxes (not a breeder) but i like the chicken wire on the inside so the bird can climb out, so simple, but such a good idea!