Best Age

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Andrey

Best Age

Post by Andrey »

Hey everybody,
At first I want to thank all of you for this website and for the information that I received here.
I want to purchase an IRN from a breeder and I want to know what's the best age for bringing it home. Today breeder called me and told that I can take one of his 6-7 week old birds. Now I want you to give me an advice.......will it be the best choice to bring it home now!
Thanx in advance!!!
Rami

Post by Rami »

If I were you I would bring it as soon as posible but when the IRN starts eating alone...
And if they are 6-7 weeks old and they ARE EATING ALONE the IRN would be in my home now!!
:)
good luck.
nil

Post by nil »

hello and welcome here
Rami is right,
A 6-7 weeks old irn is enough young so probable you must handfeeding him, if you able and known of handfeeding take him now, otherwise wait for few.
Your breeder may help you better.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hello and welcome Andrey.

I would also make sure that the young bird IS fully weaned if that is what the breeder is selling the bird to you as. I know alot of bird breeders here sell birds that are not fully weaned (just for a quick buck!) and the unsuspecting new owner has not idea why their new baby is crying all the time and won't eat :x . I have even heard of birds dying coz of the irresponsible breeder sold unweaned birds.
Having said that, of course you can handraise the bird yourself if you know how.

:)
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Thank you for your advices.....I'll probably bring it home tomorrow...cuz breeder says that they are eating alone. And he also asked me if I want him to clip his wings??? He told that it will help me to tame the bird. My answer was negative, cuz I want to see my IRN flying around :D
Natoru

Post by Natoru »

It's too dangerous to bring him home and tame him with unclipped wings, especially because he is going to be scared and confused... and he will probably hurt himself, Clip his wings and get him used to his new home and you. Feathers do grow back ^^
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Thanks a lot! It is handfed by the breeder and I don't think that it will be very scared at new home, probably I'll try to tame him with unclipped wings!!! Will it be so difficult for me???
Lene

Post by Lene »

It might be... depending on your experience... If you have lots, by all means leave the bird unclipped.

When I got Toby a couple of weeks ago, I asked the breeder to clip his wings... Training/taming is just so much easier, and their chance of getting hurt greatly reduced.

The wings will grow out, so later he/she can fly as much as he likes.
Cheers

Lene
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Lene, I'm not experienced...it's my first bird. So, taking into consideration your advices I'll ask breeder to clip my bird's wings!!!
Donna

Post by Donna »

Oh My goodness!!!

6 to 7 week old baby is not ready to be eating on it's own unless it was forced to wean which means they had to practicaly starve it to make it start eating. It's way to young to be clipping any wings also! This is an accident waiting to happen. Best of luck with your baby but I think you got some bad advise from your breeder. :(

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Oh Donna,

I don't know what to do! :roll:
I asked breeder 100 times, if birds are eating on their own.....his answer was categoric, he told that he is not going to sell an unweaned baby and that the birds are independent!!!
Donna

Post by Donna »

Andrey if I were you I'd be looking for another breeder and an older baby bird. I breed IRN's and no way are they ready to eat on their own at 7 weeks old. Most of my babies are still on 2 to 3 feeding a day at 7 weeks.
A baby that young and eating on it's own will probably regress back to wanting hand feedings because of the stress of going to a new enviorment.
Please take caution on buying this baby.
As for clipping it's wings I wouldn't do that yet either. Let the baby learn how to fly and land properly before you clip it's wings. Wing clipping is up to you and your own personal feelings on the issue.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

I can't find another breeder, I hardly found this one!!! IRNs are not widely spread in my country.......
I think the best solution is to ask the breeder to keep and handfeed the baby until he becomes independent. Can you tell me how long do I have to wait???
Donna

Post by Donna »

If weaned properly the baby should be fully wean at 12 to 14 weeks. I let my babies wean at their own pace, some babies take longer then others.
If the breeder is already telling you that the baby is already weaned and independent then theres not much else you can do because he's not going to start up the handfeeding again.

I would say get the baby, we will be here to help you if you need more advise. Good luck!!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Donna, thanx a lot!
I fell in love with IRNs, so I don't wanna loose the chance to get one!!! :)
When I'll bring it home, how can I feel that baby wants me to handfeed him.......and is it so difficult to do that???
Donna

Post by Donna »

Andrey I'm running late for work but when you get the baby home just watch for signs of begging and not eating by it's self. We will dicuss the handfeeding process later. My personal opinion is the baby is better off with you then staying any longer at the breeders. Gotta run now!!

I'll give you all the help you need! :D

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Thanx a lot. I'll let you know!!!
nil

Post by nil »

I think you mustnt take the risk, suport him with 1-2 handfeeding per day, so you ll sure that your bird eat right.
See here some Hand-Feeding Informations ( watch the video): http://www.kaytee.com/companion_animals ... ing/#video
You need a handfeeding food like kaytee .plastic syringes from a drug store (5 ml without needle of coarse) and a thermometer.
For the feather clipping there are two opposites opinions, i dont like clipipng so my lazaros has all his feathers. I ll clipping them only for safety reasons like possibility of escape etc.
They love to fly so i like to see their hapiness.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Andrey being you never handfed a baby bird before it is very dangerous
to use a syringe. It would be safer to use a spoon like the one in photo. You probably can't get the Kaytee handfeeding formula in your country so you'll have to go with what ever the breeder was using

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Yeah, we don't have any handfeeding formula for sale here. Is there some receipt for making baby food myself to support my IRN!
nil

Post by nil »

you can buy it from a e-shop like this
http://www.24parrot.com/src/XMAS07/sess ... -P577103a/
it costs, the 500 gr, 9 euro and 39 euro for delivery and needs 5-10 working days