New at IRN breeding

Moderator: Mods

laura

New at IRN breeding

Post by laura »

Hello I'm new here, well..... this is my 1st time writting, I've been reading your posts for sometime. We have a pair of IRN that were sold to us a "proven breeders" though they were rescues and Jim wasn't really sure. That said about a year after we got them and after getting them a larger cage.... They start their matting dance. Set up their house and over a week Lucy lays 4 eggs. Its seems that only one egg is going to hatch. Its been five days since the 1st egg hatched, baby is growing and getting louder... much to our delight. Lucy is a very mean bird, half the reason we got them a larger (takes up one wall in our den) cage was to save Ricky's life. I was very worried for the squab's life but happily doesn't seem to be a problem. My question is, when should we remove the unhatched eggs. I've started to open the nest box door and peek in. The squab had been laying on the wooden floor of the box. Lucy seems to like clearing the shavings away and using the floor. I had a good couple of inches of bedding but.... I've since been adding shavings so she can't get to the bare floor so easily. Was worried about its legs. We have doves also so we have a little experience with baby birds. But is there anything we should be on the look out for? Any feedback would be most appreciated. Sorry for the long post... a little long winded......
laura

ooop's

Post by laura »

Hopefully I'm decreased the size of my picture..... But while it's so big... What color would you say our birds are? Blue? Thanks
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi Laura Nice to meet you!!

Leave the eggs alone for awhile. They usually hatch every other day so you still may have a chance of some more babies.
Do you plan on pulling the baby to handfeed it?
Keep an eye on the baby to make sure the crop is full and they are not picking on it in any way. If they are feeding it and the baby looks healthy don't worry.
As for the color of your birds the pic looks like they are blue or gray can't really tell.

Keep us posted

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
laura

Post by laura »

Thanks for the in put. No we don't plan on handfeeding. From what I've been able to find, handfeeding won't necessarily make hand taming any easily and with our schedules handfeeding is a big undertaking. Its seems as though they are feeding him/her well. When I've been peeking his crop is full and his's heavy!!! I've also had a hard time with their color. I thought they were blue but they seem to have some other color influence going on??????[/img]
Donna

Post by Donna »

This is my blue pair are yours close to this color?

In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
laura

Post by laura »

1st anyone have an idea how to make my picture smaller? I've tried but my photo hosting site can't make it smaller. 2nd I'll have to check Ricky out tomorrow.... Lucy and Rick are their house with their child for the night. But if I remember right he has a pink rink with his black neck ring. Check with you tomorrow....good night, Laura
julie

Post by julie »

Hi and welcome to the site :D just make sure they are fed plenty of fruits and veggies ect and everything sounds like its going ok.
laura

Post by laura »

Yes, I think they are blue... Thanks. When do you band your babies? With doves we band around 5 or 6 days. Does that sound about right? and Yes. our birds get fresh veggies daily. But they seem to go back to eatting seeds about every other day. Does that make sense? Our bird don't seem too keen on a stricted diet of fruit and veggies.
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laura

Post by laura »

Ok, that is something I hadn't thought of. Why I don't know.... If we do start handfeeding after 3 wks how often do you need to feed? We have the handfeeding formual... wanted to be ready in case Lucy didn't feed. Just never thought of feeding after she started because we read they needed to be feed every 2 hrs. I imagine that would be less after 3 wks?
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laura

Post by laura »

Thanks... What type of light do you use? In the pictures it seems orange?? I have some books I'll read more about pulling him...
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bester

Post by bester »

hi i'm new to this site so i don't know if i'm posting in the right area....
i have 2 female & 1 male ring necks my one is hand tamed but i wanted to know when is it breeding time for them as my one send a lot of time in the cage with our male one ... so if anyone could help me that would be great
nil

Post by nil »

What type of light do you use

this is a infrared lamp:
http://catalog.myosram.com/zb2b/b2b/sta ... serminor=4

you must careful for chicks dehydration,
julie dont use something for humidity?

bester
it is too dangerous to have 2 females with a male mainly in breeding period. There are possibilities for injuries or even kill.
where do you live, how old are your birds?
laura

Post by laura »

Thanks for the site. Though we won't be needing it this time. Lucy is doing a wonderful job with her one squab. I can't believe the change in her... very quite, calm. Which says to me that they need to be breeders, something I'm not too sure we want to do. I've found a breeder here in Georgia. Thinking about giving him a call and checking him out. Love the new baby... named it Moonie, for Mr. Moonie on the Lucy Show. We hope to make him/her a pet.
bester

Post by bester »

nil wrote:
What type of light do you use

this is a infrared lamp:
http://catalog.myosram.com/zb2b/b2b/sta ... serminor=4

you must careful for chicks dehydration,
julie dont use something for humidity?

bester
it is too dangerous to have 2 females with a male mainly in breeding period. There are possibilities for injuries or even kill.
where do you live, how old are your birds?

my to females are in differnt cages as one is hand tame & the other one she just bites to much to let her out of her cage.... my one that is hand tame goes into my males cage & as i'm new to the breeding thing i don't when when it starts
nil

Post by nil »

when it starts

Are you ready for that?
breeding is no so easy if you arent aware of this.
if you are live in the northern hemisphere, now is breeding period
but i dont know nothing about the age of your birds, the situation there, where they live,in cages, size of cages,if you have nests, if you want handfeeding them, if you know this, what about the other bird and many other things .
these factors are critical for a success breeding.
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

bester once your female breeds with the male you probably wont be able to handle her and hand raised pets dont make good breeders.
laura congrats on your baby :D
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nil

Post by nil »

julie

i have seen others boxes like yours with a humidator to prevent dehydration of the chicks from the direct heat of the lamps,
you dont use something like that, have you any problem with this?
julie

Post by julie »

Paul

Post by Paul »

laura wrote:1st anyone have an idea how to make my picture smaller? I've tried but my photo hosting site can't make it smaller. 2nd I'll have to check Ricky out tomorrow.... Lucy and Rick are their house with their child for the night. But if I remember right he has a pink rink with his black neck ring. Check with you tomorrow....good night, Laura

Laura, you generally need some kind of photo editing programme to re-size photos to a specigic size for posting or as an avatar ( picture) on a forum web site such as this one. However a couple of ideas you can try If you have not tried already:
Study your camera's settings and look for the smallest size, sometimes called resolution. Measured in pixels i.e. 200 x 140 pixels or similar ratio. Change your camera to the smallest size for sending by email or posting on a web site.
Choose a larger one for making prints from ( you won't be able to make nice photos from a tiny email size image so remember to change back again for print size images )
Another trick is to right click the image ( once you have it uploaded to your computer ) and sellect the " email this photo" option. The dialogue should then ask you if you want to make the photo smaller. Answer " yes".
Other than these ideas, you will need a photo editing programme. There are several freeware ones available to download. So you might have to Google to find something.
Paul.