Jodie

Moderator: Mods

Enviroment change

Jodie

Post by Enviroment change »

I purchased two pair of IRN's from a seller in Flordia. She had them outside. I live in Michigan and have them housed inside. I have had them for three months. Does any one know whether they will breed this year? I anticipated activity this month because they are inside but they bred in February for her in Flordia. Thanks for your help!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Jodie and welcome!

Yes they could. I got my breeding pair of Ringnecks last year and within a few weeks at my house they starting breeding. Their first clutches of eggs were infertile but the second proved to be a charm. Anything could happen. Just give them privacy and do all cage chores at night. This way when they wake up, there is minimal disturbances.

Hope this helps & Best Wishes

I.C.
Jodie

privacy issue

Post by Jodie »

In your response you say to give them privacy. Could you give me an example of privacy? I have a pair who already had a clutch with no problems with their enviroment. I have four new pairs with them ( there was two extra pairs when they laid their second clutch). I do have two pair on a shelving unit facing a window with curtains blocking view of the other two pair. The other two are side by side against the wall. Their nesting box should block most of their view of the other pair. They can hear each other but not necessarily see one another. I separated the pair that gave me an early clutch. They are on top of the cage that is against the wall. I also have a pet conure in the corner next to the window. He has a mirror, so he isn't too concerned with seeing anyone else! So, I have ten ringnecks and a conure in this room. Is this in your opinion private? Thanks for your help!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

You sound like you’re in good shape. Every Ringneck is different and all will require different levels of privacy. My breeding pair of Ringnecks, which are in my backyard, get startled very easily. I find it almost impossible to do cage chores early in the morning because my male will thrash around breaking his tail and wing feathers. My female on the other hand heads straight for the nesting box, which could be disastrous for eggs during breeding season. So how did I avoid this from continuing?
At night, at around 9-10 pm, when it’s dark enough and they can’t see me I clean and feed my Ringnecks. I move very slowly and do not make any loud or fast movements. This can easily startle my Ringnecks and they could go crazy. So watch out for that.
If you have successfully bred your Ringnecks with other Ringnecks inside the room then I would not worry about it. If however you do get a pair of Ringnecks that get scared easily you can do cage chores during the night. Also before you enter the room, which they are located in, whistle before you enter. This gives them plenty of time to get ready for your entrance.

Hope this helps and Best Wishes, :wink:

I.C.