billy is a bully

Moderator: Mods

Bella

billy is a bully

Post by Bella »

For the past few days Billy has been HORRIBLE but only to me I was reading someone’s comment on here saying that if a bird bites while on a shoulder then don’t allow them. I have tried to stop him getting on my shoulder but he just gets on anyway (he just flies around after me) when I try to get him off I get bitten. When I have him on the sofa giving him treats trying to get him used to my hand he bites me anyway so I try to ignore it but the pain is way too much to deal with. Tonight I wore a big hoody with the hood up to make it easier to ignore him biting me and stop him attacking my clips in my hair he came down my arm and got on my hand took treats and i got to touch him for the first time but it didn’t take long for him to realise its me and then bit me. I don’t want to have to wear a big hoody every time I want to be close to him :? What should I do I’ve tried everything I can think of :cry:
Lila_

i know exactly what you mean

Post by Lila_ »

I¡¦m sorry he¡¦s biting you. How old is he? Dodo started hating me at about 10 weeks or so, I weaned her at about 12/13 weeks and she bullied me something terrible right up until the end of December. All the posts and websites tell you to ignore the biting but when their strong little beaks are slicing deep into your skin and there are bloodstains all over the floor then you get a bit tired of hearing ¡¥ignore it¡¦. She also picked on me almost exclusively. She was nice to most other people.
She used to attack my face if i was singing, or if I turned my head towards her. taking her of fmy shoulder really didnt make a difference to her behaviour so i just left her there eventually
I know its miserable (I really do!) but just try to stick it out for a while. One day Dodo suddenly changed and now she never hurts me. Shock horror I think she actually likes me!
I think they pick the person closest to them to take all their bluffing/psycho hormones out on because they see that person as the parent?
Just try not to annoy him (sounds silly but watch for warning signs). If you trick him into patting you watch him carefully and when he turns around to bite you move your hand away as though you were going to move your hand anyway (so he doesn¡¦t think that he succeeded in scaring you).
If he bites when you try to get him off your shoulder I found it helpful to either cover my hand with my jumper and push assertively at her chest so that she has to step up even while biting (not an easy trick for her to manouver while biting me!) or to put my hand very quickly but gently over her back and then put my thumb by her chest to step up. That way its all to quick for her to think to bite but it surprises rather than frightens her. Plus she cant figure where to bite first. Sometimes I think she was just so shocked that I had the audacity to touch her without her permission that she forgot to bite me till it was too late to do so.
I promise it will stop though. Just be patient and remind that cheeky little bugger that you are his mother and you deserve more respect! ļ
skibum

Post by skibum »

Flies to your shoulder?!?
Clip ze wings!!!
And when he gets on to your hand and tries to run down your arm to your shoulder, then point your fingers up so that he clambers to the highest point and it is too difficult to get to your shoulder (hope that is clear).
Used to have to do every now and again with Max even though he was 3!!
Ziggy is nightmare x10 in comparison, but I never grab in anger, he will associate it with bad instead of good.
Good luck!!
Lene

Post by Lene »

Most handreared birds will accept being bodily picked up. They got used to being picked up like that, just before being fed.

Even my Green Cheek I could pick up this way, and still can. (Duke was extremely aggressive, when I got him).

Paulie has bitten me really bad once (I do think I teased him :oops: ), and ever since then I have treated him like a bird I don't know - every single day.

Anyone ever watched 50 first dates? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Lene
Baz

Post by Baz »

When you cut the wings does it cut into the birds nerves and hurt the bird severely? Also Billy is about 4-5 years old.
Donna

Post by Donna »

When you cut the wings does it cut into the birds nerves and hurt the bird severely? Also Billy is about 4-5 years old.

It does'nt hurt them unless you hit a blood feather. A blood feather is a new grown feather that still has a blood supply to it. Have an expert do the wing clipping. You have to know what to look for before you clip the wings. The feather shaft will be a dark color if there is blood in it.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lila_

Yes definitely an expert to clip his wings

Post by Lila_ »

Make sure its an AVIAN vet not a normal vet who does his wings. i bougth a little budgie that needed to be rushed to the vet the night i bought her (didnt realise she was sick before i got in the car,and then didnt want to return her to such a bad breeder) and the only place close and open was a general dog and cat vet.
the vet did her best but clipped little scooter's wings so short that she cant save herself from crashing sickeningly hard on the floor anytime she tries to fly. she cant even glide.
Bella

Post by Bella »

We don’t know exactly how old he is we are guessing between 3 and 5 but that’s only a guess. He only bullies me he isn’t the same with Baz instead of biting him he just walks off. I’m nervous about getting his wings clipped because I’ve been told that it hurts them because they clip into the nerves and I don’t know of any avian vets near by, I’m also nervous about when he is on the floor he likes to chase the dog but sometimes the dog tries to play with him and I don’t think she understands he it too fragile :? We tell her that she shouldn’t play with him but when Billy is chasing her biting her tail and nails she gets too excited and I like to know he can fly off from her.
Melika

Post by Melika »

We don't actually clip the wings, just the longest feathers on the ends. Feathers are like hair when they're full grown, cutting them won't hurt.

When feathers are growing, they do have a blood supply but we can easily see that by the dark colour of the shaft. ^_^

I can't let Hane on my shoulder. He'll bite my ears, rip out my hair, put holes in my shirt, etc. He's always been that way. So it's the hand for him! I also pick him up rather swiftly, I figured it was a good idea to get him used to it, as we have dogs and I might have to in an emergency. Maybe I can get a vid of me picking him up. I'll have to get my sister to cooperate, lol.

Clipping can change your bird's personality swiftly. Simply because now they are dependant upon you to get where they want to go. My male cockatiel (before he went into the aviary) would be agressive only when unclipped. Without his flight feathers, he was a charmer.

Obviously, your bird isn't having confidence issues so clipping is a good option.

And new feathers will grow in to replace them when he moults, so he won't be flightless forever. ^_^

And you might want to keep your dog separate from your bird until your dog is trained to ignore the bird. One bite can kill, not just from bacteria, but from the force which can break bones. Most dogs don't have 'soft' mouths when they're excited.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Bella

Post by Bella »

The dog knows not to bite Billy :? its just if she thinks she can nudge Billy to play then Billy attacks her because he cant fly off is what scares me because she nudges the rat to play with him. Ive been looking for an avian vet to get his wings clipped but the closest one is a fair distance away but if it means he stops attacking me then im going lol he decided he really wanted my nails today so instead of taking the treat he tried to rip my fingertips off :shock:
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Bella.

A petshop or breeder might be able to help you with wing clipping.

Here's a great link on the subject:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/clip.html
Cheers

Lene
rocketsmummy

Post by rocketsmummy »

im not sure about the shoulder business as my bird rocket is very good occasionaly he will bite my ear but i tell him no thats not nice and he stops it or i will disract him with some paper tissue or someting close on hand.but really thats the only issue i have with him on my shoulder.
as far as not letting him touch you ,my rocket doesnt like it either i have the traning dvds where you use the sticks to disract him whilst touching either side but i find he just gets crabby and flys off lol :roll: now the last few days i have been giving him a peanut in its shell while hes on his perch so while hes eating that i slowly start from the tail up stroking gently til i get to hes head and stratch is neck ,sure he is grumbling but hes not letting go of that peanut for nobody and eventually lets me do it and i think he secretly likes it lol. just a tip might work for you might not. rocket alos gets in my hair and pulls out all my pin s and i just let him do it ,now hes over it he might have a nibble but thats it.
Lene

Post by Lene »

I have always found it interesting why birds want to go on the shoulder... If they want to get to the highest point, ideally they would try to get on the top of your head. Maybe they've all read the 'pirate' books, where the pirate has a Macaw on his shoulder?

Another interesting thing, is that my birds (I have 6) are extremely gentle around my face... They'll use upper beak and tongue only to explore, whereas they'll happily bite my hands with both upper and lower beak, if I piss them off (mostly during breeding season).

Even my very aggressive GCC, Duke, was gentle around my face, when on my shoulder... My family couldn't believe I would dare have him up there, because of his aggression... They're still afraid of him - my smallest bird... :lol:
Cheers

Lene
skibum

Post by skibum »

well, I have to say that I agree, the whole shoulder thing is difficult to understand, however at then end of the day (I am going to speak in cliches) so long as they are not in a position of superiority you should be OK
Look, I had some really good stuff to say but am home from a rather large evening and not making a lot of sense.

I know that so many pundits say NO to the shoulder thing, as they do the keep the parrot lower than your eyes.. but in my experience none of these have been factors - but this is only my experience and I have just had a hua of a night on the piss with clients...

Now I am home I am contradicting everything I ever suggested about birdie going to bed - cos s/he's me baby and the one thing I look forward to is seeing Ziggy.

Other than that (I'm a bit pissed so, sorry) what fantastic birds!!!!!!

Shoulders - I can understand the rationale, ad I support it whole-heartedly. I think it is a position they feel so comfortable that they can start to dictate terms.

god, what a burble...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh heh Ziggy says Hi
:D
Lene

Post by Lene »

Well, my eyes are quite high in my face, so when my birds are on my shoulder, they're lower than my eyes. :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Lene
skibum

Post by skibum »

Lene - you are a smart-arse!! :lol:

Right, Ziggles is an annoying little sod - but his (her) dad loves him (her).

hee hee smarty-pants

btw - is after - oh, it's not, never mind
Melika

Post by Melika »

The shoulder thing is just dependant on the bird itself. Some can handle it, some can't. xD

I'm not a huge fan of poo on my back, anyway. :lol:

And they prefer the shoulder over the head because it is stable, often moreso than our hands even, lol.

As for being higher than your eyes, none of that has been proven. Scientists are trying, but it seems that flock leaders aren't always on top and they usually can't figure out who the flock leader is anyway. What I do see, is if a bird is high enough to be out of reach, they get a little full of themselves. Which is why I can't have a playtop cage, lol. I'm only 5'1"! :wink:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

melika i never thought of that but i have noticed cookie is aggressive when his wings arent clipped at the moment he's being a bugger and they have grown back fully he also thinks he's a pro at flying always trying to land on tricky places realising he cant and flies back to his cage. i never clip fully only enough so he cant fly too high