Stray Ringneck?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

giantfoot_truck

Stray Ringneck?

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I have seen and heard sound of stray ringnecks recently, how crude of these people who bought them and release them to stray..!
I wonder what do these poor bird eat.. and where can they get clean water? :(

I have seen a pair living by the tree right near our apartment.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Hey there! Haven't seen much of you lately; happy new year. We have flocks of parrots in Southern Cal--never know how many escaped and how many were released by their owners. Fortunately, they seem to thrive.
MCS
giantfoot_truck

Hi! Happy new year too! I have been around the site but havent post anything yet.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I saved a pair of females from a man that was just going to let them go. Some people just can't be bothered.

He had them in an aviary inside a shed, in the dark with 3 inches of waste on the bottom of the cage, just left with no contact at all. Once he was fed up with just shoving seed in there every day, he decided to just open the cage and get rid of them. My nephew told me and I went and saved them.

Its probably more common than you think. :(
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Sadly I know of too many people who just can't be bothered with their birds after the dogs and cats, they get left out. They are just not educated on them and think a pet bird is better off free. The reality is, they wont last long because they don't have the survival skills that a wild bird has. They don't know what danger is. Although, some do make it and start a life and flock of their own, this is probably rare.
I think there needs to be more education on keeping birds. You need a licence to keep some native birds over here, I think it would be a great idea to extend that to all birds! So you need some sort of education or understanding of what your getting your self into by buying a bird. Sadly we can't rescue them all. I just hope that giving them a bit of information will help. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
skibum

Post by skibum »

mine sadly flew off after a fright as a lot of you know, and I still fret about him in the wild missing his dad and wondering why i have deserted him!
but, yes, after talking to people in pet shops they said IRNs in particular (here in NZ anyway) seem to wear people's patience thin and they used to be the most common bird they pet-sat, with the owners just wanting a break.
they are demanding little tykes at the best of times and until Max left I had no idea how empty the house would feel without him.
As for being a handful, Ziggy is about 100 handfuls and wants to play with everything i am touching/drinking/eating/talking on.
Wouldn't be without them, and gutless people who let them go are just lazy and cruel, there are prob plenty of people out there who would have them if they simply put an ad on a relevant website like trademe or ebay. There are heaps of ads here for people looking for birds.
They should ban selling pets at xmas - that might stop a lot of the mistreatment.
Lene

Post by Lene »

These birds are so independent, that I worry about how they will survive in the wild... They seem to want to eat anything... Paulie is an absolute glutton.

Maybe they just CAN eat anything with no adverse effects.

I know they do survive, if 'set free', and make a nuisance of themselves... We (in Australia) are required to let the RSPCA know, if we see a wild IRN.
Cheers

Lene
Melika

Post by Melika »

If stores didn't sell anything but fish, the world would be a better place. But only good stores do that. :?

You can help by supporting stores that do not sell animals (if possible, financially and travelwise) or buying toys/food from the internet from companies that don't have a store selling pets somewhere.
Most pet stores that don't sell animals have animals from the SPCA or other rescue organizations there instead.
Those stores tend to make less profit in the end because they don't sell animals. What's more, they tend to know what they're talking about and are very helpful. They may be small, and you might get the same product from a big pet-selling store for a dollar or two less, but you're supporting them and keeping good people in business. People that actually care about their animals.

Never buy a pet from a bad pet store to 'rescue it'. You're just helping them make money. Some have said that petstores they worked at in the past purposefully kept the animals in bad conditions because it increased sales. We shouldn't encourage that kind of business practice buy purchasing the animals. You can offer to take it off their hands- for free or a heavily discounted price. Keep in mind that petstores buy their animals super cheap- green ringnecks for ~$60 dollars or less from breeders (around here) and sell them for hundreds for big profit. But buying the poor bird/animal just helps them make more money and sell more animals. I'd rather they go out of business, don't you?

Of course, there are good pet stores out there selling animals, but they are far and few between. There are even breeders who won't make sure their clients are educated. As long as people are working strictly for the money, the animal will suffer. :(

It would be nice to see breeding regulated. Here you can buy a $30 dollar annual permit and breed as many birds as you want. It would be nice to see dog breeding regulated as well, but we know that won't happen unless the AKC steps in. Hah. (yeah... I don't really like the AKC, they encourage inbreeding and massive kennels producing way too many dogs a year- with AKC papers, of course. You know all you have to do to get AKC papers for your litter of pups is to send in information about the parents? What kind of regulation is that?! :x )

So there's my little rant, lol. :lol:

And back on topic. Ahem.

We have a huge wild population of monk parakeets, nanday conures, and I've even seen a pair of blue-headed conures. After the hurricanes, I'm sure there are more species now, lol. Aviaries were destroyed and many birds were freed. I do believe that most of the wild birds were originally escapees, rather than released. Or I like to hope, at least. I know plenty are released into the wild, and the mutations get eaten for sure. There's a greater chance of monk keets surviving around here, since there are so many, lol. The nandays are in smaller flocks in select locations. It would be interesting if we needed permits for our birds. Right now, I believe we only need permits for native species and species threatened or endangered. And, of course, for any species regulated in any particular state (IRNs in Hawaii at least, Monks in many states- some states it's illegal to have a monk keet, illegal in Canada).

Of course, regulation can backfire. Smuggling and such is a gold mine. :cry: Not too long ago there was a story in the paper about a man driving from Mexico with a hollowed out carseat full of chicks.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
skibum

Post by skibum »

Might be little different here in Enzed with some very good stores around protecting punters from dodgy breeders. I don't think breeders have to be licenced here (might be wrong) but pretty sure anyone who wants to go to the expense of setting up an aviary can sell birds - that is all except protected species and rare birds. Small parakeets like IRNs, Conures, Lorikeets etc anyone can do - hence the common sight of these in the wild along with Rosellas, Cockatoos and Galahs. (and emus!! - Aussie invaders heh heh). My local petshop here refused to sell me one of the 3 remaining IRNs they had as they were too wild for anything other than an aviary, whereas (some) breeders would dump anything on an unsuspecting newbie via internet sales or newspapers.
In fact they said they would only breed and hand-rear their own.
Yes, I'm little off-topic too, so back to it.
I live 30kms from the nearest town on the slopes of an extinct (hopefully) densely bush-clad volcano. There area dairy farms all around and a few 'lifestylers' (people with a house on a hectare) with some excellent tree varieties for wild birds. This means loads of dirty old starlings, mynahs and sparrows, but we have two pairs of hawks living locally, a few Tui (NZ native) have been around recently, and loads of the aforementioned Oz birds that have well-established colonies on Pirongia (name of the mountain).
Makes for some great sights and sounds at times, and parrots make the most beautiful sight flying with their long long tails (where applicable!!).
On a nearby other mountain in the region, the local community has fenced off the entire thing (!!!!!) to keep out pests and protect birds and native species.
If anyone is interested the website is:
http://www.maungatrust.org/

I can HIGHLY recommend it. You can see some of Kiwiland's fantastic native parrots such as the Kaka (brown version of Kea) that just loves to pla and hop around, and other native birds like Kiwi and Takahe.
Don't even bother trying to pronounce if foreign!!

And for a truly fabulous - and massive - parrot, there is the Kakapo. Flightless, but size of large cat!!

http://www.kakapo.net/en/

Cheers
Stu
skibum

Post by skibum »

actually - much better kakapo site, the official recovery one. Happily it shows there are now 86 compared to 62 last year!!

http://www.kakaporecovery.org.nz/

Stu
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Only parrots I see around here are Cockys, Galahs (rose breasted), Rainbow Lorries, Princess Parrots.. native parrots, oh and finches, who usually hang around the creek and scrub land out the back with all the ducks floating by. On the other side of us we see alot of seagulls (live across from the bay), mynahs, wattlebirds and crows. Funny how they've all got their territories. I wonder where an IRN would fit in?

I love kakapos! They are so precious. :D Has anyone seen 'The Life of Birds - By David Attenborough'? He had some interesting parts on New Zealand birds. NZ birds are so fascinating and very 'prehistoric'.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
skibum

Post by skibum »

I haven't seen it, but yeah, Enzed burds quite unique. Kakapo very cuddly looking bird - but personal favourite is Kea - sooo clever, but very destructive (bit like IRN)
Probably cleverer than me...!
Got an Aussie & his wife over here at the mo reckons they can find Moa that they reckon live in the bush on the East Coast...
Good luck!!
Oz full of lovely parrots and fortunately lot of them make it over here/get let go and thrive in the wild - beautiful to see!
Just been helping neighbour concrete level 2 of his swimming pool (2 more to go - doing himself at twentieth of the cost of getting someone in) and trying to enjoy a beer - prob is Ziggy trying to bury his face in it!!
From what people say IRN seems to fit in pretty well in wild but they aren't as sociable as some other parrots (or am I wrong?). I would like to think my Max has hooked up with some other parrots in the area and is loving his freedom...
giantfoot_truck

Does anyone ever fed stray ringneck before? I tried putting some sunflower seed on the outer side of the edge of my balcony, any Idea to encourage these birds to come and eat?
I have seen a pair living by the tree near our apartment, and its close to our balcony.
freaky

Post by freaky »

would you stick food out for the other birds or is it because you have a ringneck?

they are wild creatures at the end of the day, how do all the other irn's in the wild get their fruit and veg cleaned and cut up, and a nice bowl of fresh water? in captivity we should do our best to look after them, but dont lose sight of the fact its not natural for them. natural is picking fruit off the floor, from trees, drinking from puddles etc.

why is is ok for shops to sell fish but not other animals? fish get released in the wild as well. over here in the uk the native cray fish is being wiped out by the yanky breed, in oz carp are doing lots of damage, in america carp are destroying areas. all were released deliberately and are causing untold damage. also bear in mind fish can be mistreated and commonly are.
giantfoot_truck

......tell you what, why do you think i wanted to hand some food out for these stray ringneck? Its because they are now in environment that completely differ from their natural environment, they are straying out in the hot, dry desert, saudi arabia, its where i am, do you think there are parrot that can survive such environment? Do you think they can get 'apple' from such environment? Mostly its hawk ,eagle, raven, and pigeon, there are no such thing as apple tree in the desert, only bird that are tough enough that can survive here. And another thing, a captive animal released to stray differ from those who were born stray. What im talking about differ from those who point out there are many other wild parrot living in their area, such as in australia. Im talking about saudi arabia here. Also im smart enough to know how bird survive in their natural wild environment. So instead of telling me how do bird survive in the wild, and what petstore should and shouldn't sell, why dont you just get to the point and be kind enough to tell me how to encourage these ringneck to come and eat from my balcony. Btw im typing this from my mobile, should there be any mistake with some word..
freaky

Post by freaky »

how the hell was i to know where you are posting from?

i asked a question no need to get so uptight about it.
giantfoot_truck

That is why, if only you would answer the question Im asking, I wouldn't have to say all these stuff right?
:)
Noone is uptight here.. Im just saying these stuff to let anyone know. :D

Oh now Im typing from computer, lol you can see the difference between the text spacing.
nil

Post by nil »

nice try giantfoot_truck

i think water or reach in water foods like fruits and vegetables must be the first thing that these poor birds need.

Maybe a bowl with water and another with food in a table on the balcony?
i cant imagine how these birds can live in such bad conditions.

do you live permanently in saudy arabia, i saw you are from indonisia, have your birds with you?
giantfoot_truck

Hi there
I live in saudi for 9 month, and 3 month in Indonesia when its summer vacation, my bird are living in saudi with me right now..

In Indonesia I dont have any bird yet, just fish and reptile.

I wouldn't be too worried if I saw stray ringneck in indonesia, because its a tropical land and Im pretty sure they can get their need.

Thanks for the suggestion I will put a bowl of water where they can drink it, i placed them on the outer side of the edge of balcony, so that they can get the food/water without seeing our presence.
freaky

Post by freaky »

i thought you were in Indonesia so couldnt see why you were so worried.

my fault i guess.
giantfoot_truck

Im sorry too if sounded rude, Im just concerned about these ringneck straying out there.

Lets see, most of the tree out there are date tree, and some wild tree with small tiny dry fruit growing on them, I dont think ringneck would eat those... Unless they travel all the way to the place where people grow some juicy fruit, which is Impossible coz that is like thousand of mile away..

But who knows, I just hope they evetually adapted to such condition and actually survived.
giantfoot_truck

Good news, yesterday I found out where these ringnecks nest, they are nesting up high in the hole of an apartment's wall, probably 6th floor high! Not the apartment that Im living in.

Im relieved to know that these bird actually survived in an environment that completely differs from where they should be..