Cutle bone?

Moderator: Mods

lostjerry

Cutle bone?

Post by lostjerry »

do IRNs like them? i have like 8 extra from my other bird and just wondering if i should put them in with my IRN....
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

From my experience, they don't really like cuttlebone, Jibby never touched the stuff. Ive been told it isn't really necessary for their diet either if they are getting a well balanced diet. :? I wonder if anyone does give their birds cuttlebone?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Andreya

Post by Andreya »

I don't have a cuttlebone for Nigel, but I have one in with my Lovbird and Parrotlet and they have never touched theirs.
Andi
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Have one for Amazon he loves his one, he bites it and rubs his beak on it we getting more for our outside birds
Adam and Dude
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep mine love theirs and destroy it to the point of nothing left after a while :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

nichole123

Post by nichole123 »

I don't have a cuttlebone but I do have a Katee tropical mineral block. He loves that thing (I think it smells great too!).
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

i have two cuttle bones..... they've been in there since i set the cage up and no one has even looked at it as far as i can tell! i've actually wondered if i should find another way to supplement their diet since they don't use it.... but they should be ok as long as they get a varied and nutritious diet?????
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

yep and a calcium perch is a favorite with mine also. It helps with their claws and they chew on it, giving them calcium plus a way to keep their beak in tip top shape.

I also give mine scrambled egg with the egg shell ground up into it :wink: they love it, small serve once a week or so.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Ohana

Post by Ohana »

I have cuttle bones in both my birds cages. I also have mineral blocks. The quaker likes the mineral block and the IRN is too new and not used to all this stuff in her cage. So I am sure in time she will figure it out.
nil

Post by nil »

what is cutle bone? Is this from animal?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Cuttlebone is the bone from 'Cuttlefish' which are actually 'Molluscs'. They are full of calcium. Sometimes they are washed up on beaches and they are very light weight. You might find they look like tiny little surf boards. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
nil

Post by nil »

thanks Lauren
this ok for ringnecks but i prefer mineral blocks
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

i bought my bird a cuttle fish bone for the first time a few days ago he wants nothing of it... i think he jus thinks its a cage accessory lol.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

When I first got Rufus, he had one, but it stayed in there untouched for the longest time until I just got sick of it and it...um, mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again. O.o
Pommeraniac

Re: Cutle bone?

Post by Pommeraniac »

lostjerry wrote:do IRNs like them? i have like 8 extra from my other bird and just wondering if i should put them in with my IRN....

I give my IRN a mineral block and he loves it. I think I have a grape and a pinnaple one.

Pommeraniac
Melika

Post by Melika »

It's... it's aliiiiive! *checks date of topic creation*

But it's still a valid question. I like cuttlebone because it's natural, instead of sythetic minerals. It's bleached, but it still has the calcium in it. Hane and Tsume both nibble on it occasionally. I trust that they use it when they need to.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MGA828

Post by MGA828 »

All of my cages have a cuttle bone and a calcium perch and all of my birds including my IRN like both the perch and the bone.
"We only part to meet again"
tiggerbewa

Post by tiggerbewa »

We actually bought one and Charli has no interest at all i was wondering what the point of it was lol. I now know and will try one of the mineral things instead. I was looking at them some neat flavors. Golly the stuff you can buy for birds lol.
nil

Post by nil »

cuttlebone and mineral blocks are necessary for the beak and even nails trimming but usually birds dont eat much of it, or tedium with it soon, so they needs extra calsium in their diet
leo

hi

Post by leo »

i think cuttlebone is important for IRN, but more importantly for breeding hen...lack of ot can cause egg binding or the egg breaks inside the hen's body(he shell lack of calcium, so become soft).

i feel vegie and nuts are lack of calcium, so cttlebone is needed...i give ny tango too, and he like it...

i think for those who don't like or don't even touch it, you can try giving chicken bone, the thigh part ot the soft bone at the chicken breast...

i think IRN love to dig the marrow bone out...it also give extra protein for the IRN...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Mine would taste it a bit, then when she find it interesting, she would chew it to bits!
When she got bored of it, she would carry it and put it above my cockatiel cage, she probably meant something like "take this left over, I dont want it anymore!" :?
She does this to every other food like apple, bread, and anything that she can carry.
lol. :lol:
Baz

Post by Baz »

Billy loves his cuttlebone need get him a new one