Paper Rolls...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Paper Rolls...

Post by Mikaela »

Have we reached a verdict in regards to paper towel rolls? Because it too is my babies favorite toy.

Can we take a poll as to how we all feel in regards to this topic?
~ Mikaela Sky

diane47

Post by diane47 »

============================================================
Hi just to let you know watch what your giving your birds as i had this e-mail sent to me its worth reading......
Diane

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input you have
all sent about the last newsletter issue.

I have been reading all your answers and questions and
I am sure we will include a FAQ's article on the upcoming
issues of this newsletter.

With this said, today I have urgent news, as my new
editor just got an email from Kimberly-Clark concerning
a new poisoning source you should avoid pay attention
to with your parrot/bird.

Since we really care about your parrot, then we though
you may also want to read this urgent information, that
has been released over the last 24 hours!

Plus, if you would like to later drop us a line on how
much you have enjoyed this newsletter issue, then please visit
this page below after your reading. Thanks!
diane47

Post by diane47 »

this is the rest sorry i missed it off this is quite important

2) "NEWSFLASH: Paper Towel Rolls Potential Zinc Poisoning
Source!", by 'Parrots Secrets' Newsletter Editor

============================================================

Many of us have allowed our parrots to play with and shred
paper towel cores after we've used the entire paper towel
supply from the core.

This has appeared to be harmless and I was very shocked to
learn that it could be harmful! Had I not seen an email from
Kimberly-Clark, one of the manufacturers of paper towels and
toilet paper, I might not have believed this information.

Zinc toxicity is very serious and can kill a parrot if it
is severe. Kidney damage, upset digestion, feather plucking
and increased water intake are all signs of zinc poisoning.

Other symptoms include vomiting, loss of appetite and larger
than usual green droppings. Sudden death, unfortunately, is
another sign.

Cockatoos are especially sensitive but no parrot is exempt.
If you do, however, have a cockatoo that plucks feathers
and nothing has resolved the problem, ask your vet to check
for zinc in the parrot's blood.

I was aware of zinc toxicosis (a big word for zinc poisoning)
in parrots, but had always heard that the most common cause
was older cages or the use of galvanized wire in aviaries.

Using washers containing zinc to attach toys to a parrot's
cages is another potential cause of zinc poisoning that I
had heard of.

However, I was shocked to learn that the adhesive used to
attach the first sheet of paper towel to the cardboard core
has resulted in some parrots being diagnosed with zinc
toxicosis. This same adhesive can be present in toilet
paper rolls also.

When making sure you do not give your parrot any zinc-containing
products, watch out for anything made of metal that is dull
and creates a whitish dust.

Padlocks and some hangers used for toys are often culprits.
Paints and varnishes and adhesives, pennies, curtain or blind
weights, keys, costume jewelry, tile, duct tape, and hardware
around the house are all potential sources of zinc that could
poison your parrot.

Blood tests are the only accurate diagnosis tool for this
serious poisoning. Be very cautious of what you give your
parrot to play with and what you use inside the cage!

Kimberly-Clark's statement regarding this adhesive says:

"Although the core glue is safe for its intended use, it
is not intended to be ingested. It is not food grade and
does not meet indirect food contact regulations. Therefore,
we cannot recommend that it be used with pets".
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Sad to learn of this... it is absolutely one of her favorite treats.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I was wondering if all rolls are dangerous because I have rolls that were off other things like for example When I got a care flight teddy bear when I was younger it came with a letter saying you are the owner of this bear take good care of it..... And the A4 paper was rolled inside a cardboard roll and it has no glue or anything like that. I think it is safe???????????????? :?
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Which one of your babys has the infinitive love for the rolls???? Because if they’ve been playing with them for as long as they have with no effect I don’t see how they can get zinc poisoning? And the heading of the letter does say “Potential zinc poisoning”.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I dont know whom you are asking but for me, Baby loves rolls. She is only 6 months old so she probably doesnt remember playing with them. I remember though and she loved them!

She doesnt like swings but when I would put a roll on it she would swing and tweet and yes... chew *giggle*

I am just too afraid to risk it. But in my heart I feel it is Ok, sort of like we shoudnt drink because it is bad for us but if we do it in moderation, its fine.

It is an individuals choice, I chose not to but wouldnt blame others if they felt it was Ok.

Wow, I found an issue I ride the fence on.... amazing. :shock:
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Mikaela wrote:Wow, I found an issue I ride the fence on.... amazing. :shock:

LMAO!

Anyway, zinc toxicosis as far as I know takes quite a bit of zinc to get there. And most birds (meaning the majority) kept in galvanized wire cages don't have a problem. Some do, however.

And being that birds don't salivate they wouldn't normally get the residue on their tongues. So as long as my birds aren't actually eating any of the paper rolls, then I don't see the problem for them. As was said from the company, it isn't intended to be ingested.

I think this is a personal decision. But I've seen a lot of "big No-No's" begin with one little thing.

For instance, did you know that there has been only one death in the US caused by toxic mold? But look how it's become such a huge thing. And pet people are even more prone to this type of explosion. That's just how things are.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Melika: not being argumentative but you said birds dont produce saliva. That is weird to me because when my girls are on my shoulder, every now and again they make like this tiny hannibel lecter sucking sound and then swollow. I always assumed they were swollowing their saliva.

What are they doing when they make this wet, sucky then swollow (dont go there guys, Ill have to spank you) sound?

I shouldnt have mentally gone there either, looks like church on Sunday for this ol' girl. :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

I should be specific. Parrots don't salivate. Some birds, however, do (just not parrots).

I don't know what Baby is doing. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Parrots have some saliva http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1840&articleid=2470
just not much. When they lick you their tongues are still a little wet.

Besides if they didnt where do they get all that snot from when they sneeze on you!!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Sneezing would be from the lungs/trachea. Saliva is part of the digestive system. Mucous would be sneezed, not saliva (there is also mucous in the digestive system, however).

You're right, I did more research. See what happens when one takes a bird journal for granted, assuming they would abide by the rules of responsible journalism and research what they write?

But as far as having enough saliva to swallow? Besides the fact that they don't have an epiglottis to close off their trachea to permit what we as humans call swallowing (when we swallow our lyranx closes to keep liquid out), a healthy bird wouldn't produce enough saliva to require a bird swallow (tossing/tilting the head back), would they?

Hane grinds his beak slowly while he sleeps creating a little buzzing/squeaky noise and then moves his lower beak quickly but with short movements. Maybe this is what Baby is doing?

"Salivary glands are distributed in the oral and pharyngeal cavities of most birds. They may be poorly developed, as in many fish eaters, or well developed, as in granivorous species on a dry diet. Salivary glands consist of masses of secretory cells that are arranged around a duct system into which part of the content of the secretory cells is released to form saliva. Because mastication does not occur in birds, the main requirement is for lubrication to assist the swallowing process, which is achieved by the mucinous nature of the saliva. Peristaltic contractions carry food along the esophagus either to the proventriculus directly or into the crop.
The salivary glands of psittacines form compact glandular bodies. In the African Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus) the duct systems of all lingual salivary glands open on the lingual surface, each through a single orifice. Glandular secretions in the mediacaudal section of the esophagus, together with external water, contribute to the softening and swelling of food within the crop.

Three amylolytic Lactobacillus strains isolated from the chicken crop had amylase activities similar to those of other starch-hydrolyzing bacteria isolated from the gastrointestinal tract. These enzymes, together with those of the salivary glands, may provide some hydrolysis of complex carbohydrates." Source

Is it sad that I actually understood that? I read too many medical journals when I'm bored...

Anyway, the same source relates, "...the lingual apparatus of psittacines is unique among birds and may contain salivary glands that secrete significantly more enzymes and/or mucus than birds previously studied."

So basically no one really knows, lol. Which is true about everything it seems. All that to-do about photosynthesis and they actually don't really know how it works. It's just a best guess, LOL! And that's a whole chapter in a standard Bio book.

It's annoying not being able to just have one reliable source. Thanks for checking me on that. :P :idea: