older hen with a younger mate

Moderator: Mods

Jodie

older hen with a younger mate

Post by Jodie »

I have heard not to introduce a younger male with an older hen, is this correct? Will they still breed if there is a pair set up with an older hen? Does anyone know about what age a hen does not produce any more eggs? Thanks for your help!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

That’s not true. It’s probably an old wife’s tale. Just keep in mind that a hen is a hen and will kill any male if she does not approve of him. Just keep an eye out if you do place them together. I would even and highly recommend placing them side by side for two weeks in two separate cages. This gives them plenty of time to adjust to each other with out physical contact.

Once you do decide to place them together just keep an eye out for how they interact. Some Ringnecks can be housed together year round while others need to have their own space. Each bird is different.

Hope this helps & Happy New Year :wink:

Best wishes,

I.C.
Jodie

hen eggs

Post by Jodie »

Does anyone know about what age a hen does not produce any more eggs? Thanks for your help!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

You know that’s a very good question. I remember reading and article that said something that a female Ringneck has been recorded breeding well into her 50’s. I wish I could find the article, but if this is true it would be really amazing. I have not known any Ringnecks that have been used as breeders for that long or Ringnecks that have enjoyed a long life. Most usually die for accidents or disease. :cry:

Hope this helps! :wink:

Best wishes

I.C.
breeding age cutoff

Jodie

Post by breeding age cutoff »

Gosh! That is awful 50! Poor things, I could even imagine! I remember reading something indicating successful breeding into their thirties, but was not for sure. Thanks!