Cockatiel age?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

giantfoot_truck

Cockatiel age?

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Hello everyone, does anyone know how to determine the age of cockatiel?
Does the length of tail feather differ in age? I mean like, if it is shorter then its younger? Or maybe you can tell from its appearance, like its eye, feet, or feather?
Melika

Post by Melika »

So far, the only differences I see are from juvenile to adult. Adult males will have clear orange cheeks (supposing their colour has orange cheeks) and a bright yellow crest.

Juveniles resemble female cockatiels, with 'dirty' cheeks. Juveniles also have a shorter crest that isn't vibrant in colour.

Since I got Killer (who was already an adult of several years a least) he has shown no change. We estimate him to be perhaps fourteen years old (I've had him ten years and the neighbors had him for quite a few before they gave him to us) and has the same plumage and looks as the day we got him (perhaps improved a little after changing from a seed only diet).

Most very old birds will seem to be in poor feather condition, either from improper grooming or their body not getting as much nutrition from food as they used to.

But 'tiels can live a good 25 years! If they don't suffer from any health problems (cancer occurs in many mutations due to inbreeding) and are on a good diet. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay