minimum daily requirements for vitamins and minerals

Moderator: Mods

BigChicken

minimum daily requirements for vitamins and minerals

Post by BigChicken »

I wanted to post this here; hopefully someone knows where I can find what I’m looking for. I’m wanted to know what, if any recommendations were out there for minimum daily requirements for vitamins and minerals for birds, specifically small parrots. The only doses I can find are for vitamin supplements that go into their water. This seems to me to be a very poor way of administrating supplements with no way of accurately gauging how much they are getting. I am concerned with overdosing, not to mention the possible bacterial contamination of their water. As far as I know there haven’t been any scientific studies on the requirements in captivity, but I was hoping for something from an avian veterinarian, not just a bird supply company trying to sell a product.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

The avian vet I see is one of the best in Australia, he also sells many supplements. They should get most of their daily vitamins and minerals from fresh fruit and veg, nuts, legumes as well as some protein from egg and shell as well as some cooked meat on the odd occasion.
Realizing sometimes our budgets don't stretch and sometimes we can have a few days of just being on seed/pellets or when they just are not getting the daily balanced diet, he recommended the vitamins only then.

Here is his website for an idea..

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/

I have given my 2 vitamins before, the water soluble ones. Its hard to get them to have a drink! They wont go near water that smells funny and the vitamins smell a little yuk! I manage to get them to have atleast one beak full of water though by taking the water away for a few hours before so they need a drink. I agree, its not a very good way of supplementing their diet that should be a well balanced 'real' food diet.

*EDIT* You might find Dr Walkers main area is pigeons but he is also very good with parrots. They sell alot of products for parrots at the veterinary clinic. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx Donna! I've been looking for a chart like that for ages, excellent. (Sorry Dan for stealing your thread) :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

No problem I hope thats what Dan was looking for!!

You want more go to this site http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/articles.htm

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
BigChicken

Good stuff

Post by BigChicken »

All good stuff to read, Thanks Donna.