Resentment...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Resentment...

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Ya'll:

As most of us know, Irns belong to one family member and the rest of the family tolerates the animal. Certainly how it is here.

I wont say which of my girls are acting up, not fair to point fingers :cry:

One of my girls has sensed she can get a rise out of the hubby by speaking/squacking at inappropriate times. Only when his game is on, he is on the phone, ect. Like she knows when to get him while it hurts. He of course has began somewhat resenting her.

She has never wanted anything to do with anyone but me. Could she have actually decided she wants his attention? You'd be surprised by the number of men AFRAID of these deadly animals. :roll:

Or, does she sense his resentment and think to herself "ok buddy, you want somma me! Bring it! I'll drive you batty!"

It has gotten to the point we have to actually cover her cage (which I hate). Am I being to hard on myself in regards to cage covering? Never wanted to do that, especially with an Irn. Or should I be harder on hubby and say NO cage covering! Either leave until dark, which is of course when she stops or deal with it!? :x

Hubby doesnt know but Im here to tell him, he'll go before my babies do!
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

It would hard to tell just from your post. Is she just chirping along to the noise? Most birds increase their volume when there's alot of noise in the house. Like when the tv is on, people are talking, or vaccume cleaners, or the like.

Birds feel safer around lots of "white" noise. Only predators are silent and if other birds are silent there may be predators around.

Is she watching hubby and maybe pacing around the cage to get out or get to him, if not she might not want his attention.

Watch her behaviour when this is going on, it should give you a clue as to why she's doing it

Edit: I read your post out to my Fiance, he's like that's a bit harsh choosing birds over your hubby. I just looked at him. He said If I didnt like your birds when I met you I wouldnt have had a chance would I? I smiled.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Smart man hehe

I have her on the screen lanai on her stand this afternoon. She gets to scream, he gets to set his apts. everyone is happy.
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Mazzie yells anytime anyone gets on the phone in front of her, she hates the phone. How dare that little thing get talked to and held while she is not being talked to and held?

So, we don't talk on the phone in front of her. Simply move to another room. I, personally, will talk on the phone around her, but then I hold her while I do it... she will coo and make loving sounds the entire time to remind me she's there and needs my attention... but I think thats sweet.

I hate covering IRN's for noise, its hard to do because while it works it can make the birds become withdrawn and less apt to solicit for interaction. I find it easier to move myself away from the noise.

Of course, eventually... you get used to it. Our crew will be screaming to beat the band (just before dinner is a good time for that) and we just go about life... after all, we love them... noise and all.

Athena
Jade

Post by Jade »

Chook has a mock hate of my hubby. Jamie teases him though by pulling his tail when he's not looking (not hard, just a tug) and by waggling his fingers in front of him (I know, just like a child although our 9yr old and Chook get on famously).

Chook will sneak up on Jamie and attack him by lunging at him and hissing but he doesn't ever bite him. He allows Jamie to give him tickles around the head but then all of a sudden grabs his finger in his beak - but doesn't bite, just holds it :? Personally, I'd rip his hands apart but there you go, lucky I'm not a bird.

I think that deep down Chook does love Jamie and vice versa (I catch him feeding him treats when he thinks I'm out and makes sure he is happy until I get home). I think it has become more of a game for both of them. If Chook gets too out of hand, I just put him back up on top of the curtain rail to cool down a bit.

In relation to the telephone thing, Chook will repeatedly say 'hello' into the handset and try and jam his head between my mouth and the bit you speak into, or try and put his beak into my mouth while I'm talking.