Greetings!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Kristen

Greetings!

Post by Kristen »

Hey!
I'm Kristen and (right now) I have four Ringnecks. Rufus (green) was given to me as a 12th birthday present and I've had him for three, almost four years. He's six. I got him from my first cousin's wife who breeds Ringnecks. A year later, after I had handfed a cockatiel for some acquaintances, I thought it would be pretty cool to breed Ringnecks. She gave me a pair, a lutino male (Donovan) and a juvenile green, whom we thought was a "female" (Alice, who was wild). Well, Alice became Ringo due to the beautiful ring developing around his neck. Donovan and Ringo became good friends and were able to live in the same cage. I even managed to tame Ringo and teach him the 'step up' command. However, they were noisy and Rufus was jealous, so my friends 'borrowed' them. Two weeks ago, a little over three years after the coming of Rufus, my mom and I were at a bird show and I came across a turquoise hen. We didn't get her, but we did find a blue hen for a good price. She was wild. I named her Sweetheart and put her in a cage in the living room. Yesterday, my friends came over with Ringo in a small carrying cage and I put him next to Sweetheart in a big cage. They're getting to be good friends; however, Rufus is jealous and Donni misses Ringo. I have a flight cage, so in a couple of months I'm going to try to put them in there and put the cage in my room with Rufus. I love my birds and although I know lots about them, I'd love to learn more.

Does anyone have any idea if apple cider is bad for birds? (I don't think it is, but just to be on the safe side...) I was drinking some and I went in my room. Rufus was on his cage (I don't lock him in, I just keep my door closed.) and before I could do anything he jumped up on my cup and started drinking it. He really loves it. I even dumped out one of his water dishes and poured the rest of my cider in there for him. I just hope he won't try to take a bath in it or anything. :p

Just in case anyone didn't pick this up: Rufus is my special baby. :p He does everything with me. I even caught him dancing to Foreigner and singing part of Hot Blooded so that he could get some of what I was eating. <G>
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

welcome your birds sound amazing cant wait to see some pics. the little buggers will do anything for food :roll:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Actually, everyone loves Rufus so much that he has his own fanclub. My favorite picture that I have of him is this one: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =676092885
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and welcome to you and your flock. Looking forward to getting to know you all! :D I love that pic! They make the funniest angry faces. :lol:
As far as I know, apple cider is ok. Its just the seeds of the apple that contain the poison.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Melika

Post by Melika »

Welcome to the board. What a wonderful relationship you have with Rufus! Looking forward to more about your flock. ^_^

Heh, Donovan is my brother's name. :o
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family darlin :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless