baby sun

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

BigChicken

baby sun

Post by BigChicken »

Stopped at the hardware store, then the pet supply store, I needed parts for a play gym. I’ll share some PICs of this later, I came up with some great ideas, you got to see this thing. Any way, while at the pet store, of course, we had to see the birds first. They have a baby sun conure, just weaned. He seemed so friendly, running to the front of the cage. As I walked by he followed me to the other side of his large cage and hopped onto a platform perch. I put my hand up to play with him and he rolled over on his back and started playing with my finger with his feet! He did that for a while. As soon as I pulled my hand away he got back on his feet and chirped and pecked through the bars. Every time I put my finger to the bars, he rolled over and played with my finger with his feet. I believe in adopting first, but I swear for a second I thought, $600 (US) hmmm, if I tighten up the budget, maybe if I gave up beer for a day or two… No, control yourself Dan. My wife joked, just wait a month, then adopt him when someone with too much money and not enough patience (or knowledge on suns) gives him up to PEAC for adoption when he growes up a bit and starts screaming every morning and night! Sadly, there are something like one and a half MILLION birds, either set loose, given away, or given up for adoption every year.
nil

Post by nil »

at least you have peac, in greece we havent something like that.
the problem here is with dogs and cats,every year many of them leaved by owners in the streets,so bad!
Donna

Post by Donna »

BC your wife is right listen to her. It's very sad if you go get that baby from the pet store your only creating a vicious cycle. Did you ever wonder where pet shops get their animals? Mostly from puppy kitty and birdie mills, chances are their not buying from reputable breeders. I don't know one that would sell their babies to a pet shop. Makes me :roll: when I hear people say they rescued this bird from a horrible pet shop. Yes they did but as soon as they left the store with their little dirty, hungry birdie the shop owner was on the phone to his supplier ordering more. CHA CHING!! :( My husband makes me go in pet shops blindfolded needless to say I knock a few displays over. I know I sound cold and heartless but that's the real picture. Have that beer you were going to give up hell give me one too!!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
BigChicken

Post by BigChicken »

Donna, Trust me, I would NEVER buy any animal. I Believe in animal adoptions. I was just making a joke. I thought it was so cute, but not for one second did I actually consider buying it! My wife and I have been fighting the pet trade for a long time. As for birds, I am also against the breeding of these animals in captivity. Just my opinion, I think they will always belong in the wild. Their gift of flight is too big to be cages. The onlry reason we keep our birds is because they needed a good home.
As for that beer, Im having one for you (and me) right now!
Donna

Post by Donna »

MMMMM Thanks for the cold one!! Hit the spot :lol:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Melika

Post by Melika »

There was a baby black-capped conure I used to visit until he was sold at a local petstore. Cutest and most well-rounded little bugger. At least he was hand-raised with socialization!

Some petstores locally aren't bad, on an individual basis, with their birds. And others are awful- even the local exclusively birds store. It just depends on the manager. I don't like seeing parrots for sale in stores just because then they are more likely to be bought as impulse buys, instead of thought-out purchases. And they're not fed great diets, or even learn to like veggies from a young age. :(
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay