More then 1 IRN?

Moderator: Mods

MGA828

More then 1 IRN?

Post by MGA828 »

I am considering getting another IRN - I have a female and would like to get her a male not for breeding purposes, but for companionship.

How hard is it to pair up 2 IRN's? I have heard that it can be very hard and others said it is easy as long as it is just 2 IRN's.

Here is my problems - I have 4 birds total, 1 IRN, 1 African Brown headed parrot, and 2 Cockatiels - everyone is housed in there own cage except the Tiels are together. Will 2 IRN's get along easily? My IRN does not get along with any of the birds I have - she doesn't seem to like anyone of them though she will chat with them all the time, just doesnt want to be near any of them. Will she be better with an IRN being that it is her species or being that she already doesnt seem to like my birds will there be a high chance that she wont like the IRN? I would like to house them together, however if that just doesnt work out I do have a seprate cage the new one can go in.

Any thoughts or advice would be excellent!!!
nil

Post by nil »

hello
how old is your ringneck?
the ringnecks generally are no friedly with any than their boss.
They require to spend a lot of time with them , dont like other birds and
in some cases neither ringnecks.
But your is a female. I think for hormonal reasons a female older than 3-4 years wants a male for breeding.
I think is a good idea to take a male for your lady especially if you havent enough time to spend with her.
If you do so, dont put them together in the same cage.
It need time to get used eachother.
Seperataly in different cages and put cages from far to close with time.
For better take him 2-3 months before the breeding season.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I would not advise putting a new IRN in the same cage. IRNs can be possessive and may injure or kill a new member of the flock or vice versa. They are very independent birds. They like their 'space'. Yet they will socialize when they want to.

Always, take precautions such as a quarantine period and slowly introduce them over time to lessen the stress of having a new bird suddenly in the flock.
They wont always get along either. So be prepared and know that they might never get along. You may have to always keep them separate.
On the other hand, they might bond straight away. You never know. Just take time with introducing them, and keep a firm eye on them.

My older 7 year old never got along with other birds, but a year ago he changed and backed down to our new baby IRN. Hes quite happy with another friend now. But I still keep them separate. I don't trust our 1 year old with him in the same cage even though they have a couple of times slept together. The baby is still too dominating at times.

Its all up to them whether they work things out or not. Just have some patience and take all the time they need.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Sorry we missed this. :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

I have a Male & Female together. I bought them both at the same time. They were in the same cage and have been together now for a Year with me. I will say it has been hard to gain their confidence and trust, but I'm winning slowly. The Female will go on my hand without biting now, the Male is still timid but will go on my hand if he has too. They have their wings clipped and go outside with us, I also take the opportunity to clean the cage. They sometimes jump off and walk back to the house, through the Patio door and to where the cage would be. We also have a cat which they seem to be less scared of. He lived with a Cockatiel for 6 years, so has took to the IRNs as Family. Weird to see a cat like birds.