I am a newbie

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Dorinda79

I am a newbie

Post by Dorinda79 »

Hi Y'all I am from southern Mississippi. I am a mom to kids and fids. I have three wonderfull children with one more on the way. I have 2 female cockatiels, 2 parakeets, 3 lovebirds and 1 indian ringneck. Just about all of my birds are adopted birds from places they did not need to be. I love my birds like I love my kids.
My ringneck Mystic used to talk but she has stopped. I have never been able to handle her. She was a breeder before I got her. My hubby says that all of my birds are the misfits because you can not ouch any of them. I love them just te same though it has taken alot of work to get them to trust me over the months. :lol:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family Dorinda and crew. Bless you for taking on rescues, I hope you learn more about ways with your birds from the forums and we are looking forward to learning more about your birds too.

Would love to see pics :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Dorinda79

Post by Dorinda79 »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tlldrksxy39540/
I am not sure if this will work but it is the like to my photos of my fids and kids.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

aww lovely fids and family, you must be very proud ! :D
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello and welcome! Good on you for adopting! You have some very cute kids and fids! :D Looking forward to getting to know your flock.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Family -- with & without feathers are lovely! You must be a very busy lady. Welcome to the flock.
MCS
Dorinda79

Post by Dorinda79 »

I have a question for anyone that can answer it for me. When I got Mystic I was told that she would never make a good pet because she had never been handled. Since she was old enough she has always been a breeder. He mate escaped before I got her and is flying around somewhere no one has ever been able to find and catch him.
My question is....... Is there any way that I would be able to handle her ever. I have had several people tell me that I needed to just put her back into a breeding situation and leave it at that. Which my husband does not mind. He says the more the merrier. When I got her she was talking. She would say thing like open the door, Hello, Good-bye. After we had her a while she really took to my husband and she added 2 more phrases to her vocabulary..... Are you up Chris and get up Chris. I am not sure where she got it from but she would do it every morning after his alarm clock went off and when he got out of bed and started to the coffee she would stop and start wolf whistling at him till he left for work. Then one day she just stopped and has not said anything for months. I don't know what happened but when she stopped talking she got really mean. I could not go near her cage with out her screaming at me and trying to strike at me. She connected with me once and bit my finger to the bone. After that I pulled my Tiels and Parakeets out of mu window flight and put her out side in the flight. I put her out there because I was scared one of the kids would get to close to her and get bit. I do not wan my kids to be scaredof birds as they are a big part of our lives.
I go in and out of the flight through the window. When I am in the fight she does not atack me of scream at me but I can not get close to her. I want to gain her trust but I am not sure if it can be done. What do I do? I was trying to figure out how to add pictures of the flight to this message but I am not sure how to do it. So I put the line to my birds myspace all of my pictures are in the pics section of it.

If any one could help me I would greatly appreciate it
http://www.myspace.com/missdixiebirds
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

This is a hard one Dorinda .. If you are going to tame her you will have to clip her wings, this is the easiest way to control her and make her reliant on you and easier to approach and manage. If you do this of course, you won't be able to put her out to breeding as it will pretty much limit her as a breeder.

You have to make a firm choice.

Do you accept that this bird is too aviary wild and parent raised/imprinted to be able to tame, and would make a wonderful breeder to give you babies you can handraise and tame from a very early age. (you would of course have to know how to handraise babies from the latest 4 weeks of age, if you were to do this)

Or - Do you clip her and work hard on her to tame her (this could take 6 months to a year of work every day on her). I believe it is possible but not guaranteed that you can tame her. Then you must remeber she will never be as tame as a handraised baby. She will not be a cuddler, and always be a little bit flighty. She may step up and interact with you but she probably would not let you scritch or pet her.

Good Luck darlin !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Dorinda79

Post by Dorinda79 »

Well I have had a long talk with my hubby and as much as he loves Mystic he agrees with you. He thinks it would be best to put her back into the breeding situation. Yes I know how to handfeed baby birds I have been feeding baby tiels for about 2 years now. Along with Tiels I have hanf fed Conures and quakers. The only problem with breeding her I will have to get an incubator because after she lays her clutch if they are not pulled she wil destroy them. So I would be hand feeding from day one.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Let us know how it all goes darlin.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Dorinda79

Post by Dorinda79 »

I was reading some other topics and posts last night. I was wondering if Mystic molting could have caused her attitude change. She started molting about a 2 months ago. My husband freaked out because he thought she was losing al her feathers. It was really funny when he realized that her 2 long tail feathers. That was also a deciding factor to moving her into the window flight. He thought giving her more room to move around would help her molt(after I explained what was going on with her). What I was saying is that when she started molting is when she started getting mean and teritorial about her cage and area of the living room. I am going to go into the fight to clean out the bottom and I am going to get some better picture if she will stay still. She really does not like camera for some reason. I know there is a lot of history obout Mystic I do not know and I can not get so I have been going at it blind (other than the research I have done online and in books) for about 6 months. Please forgive me if I sound stupid about her. I am doing the best I know how. She is the biggest birds I have owned myself :oops:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

It is not silly at all to be concerned and have hopes for your parrot. I commend you for your research and efforts. It is best to exhaust all possibilities before making a choice anyway... Good for you !

Molting can make them grumpy, breeding season can make them grumpy and just like any creature, they have different moods different days.

Play it by ear as you go, you will soon know if it is time to resign her to breeding. (which for her is not a bad thing at all :D )
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Dorinda79

Post by Dorinda79 »

Well I have had a very busy and trying morning. I got up this morning and was feeding all the fids and found the hamster had got out of his cage. I looked for him most of the morning and could not find him. I figured when he got hungry he would show himself. I went about feeding the rest of the of the animals when my 2 year old brought Harry (Hamster) to me. He was dead and covered in blood. My husbands dog had killed the girls hamster. I have dealt with two very histerical little girls. When I got up this morning I had intended on asking some questions about Ringneck mutation and genetics. Maybe I will do it later.

I have decided to breed Mystic. I finally got ahold of Mystics previous owners and they said she was always happier when she was in a flight with her mate. So I have decided to follow what they were doing with her.