Scariest moment of my life....Datsun may have epilepsy 04-08

Moderator: Mods

Datsun and Family

Scariest moment of my life....Datsun may have epilepsy 04-08

Post by Datsun and Family »

On Saturday it was my birthday, Grayson was in the garage sorting his tools with Datsun and I had just jumped out of the shower and was walking downstairs in my dressing gown when Grayson yelled out for me.

Datsun had gotten a fright and fallen from the perch he was on and hit his head. When Grayson handed him to me he was limp in my hands and his little eyes were closing slowly, i FREAKED out and tucked him into my robe and jumped in the car.

On the way to the vets his little body convulsed and his eyes continued to close, I was sure he was going to die but we kept softly talking to him and cuddling him tight.

At the vet clinic I raced in there, realising I was almost completely unclothed and burbled something to the receptionist, apologised for coming in wearing my robe and was rushed thru to the vet.

I explained what happened to the vet and carefully pulled Datsun out, he was wobbly but he could stand up and look at the vet for a second before he pinned his eyes and said a very enthusiastic 'HELLO!"

I was SOOO embarrassed I had run in there in nothing but my new robe and the little brat was fine, I apologised to the lady in the waiting room and the vet and receptionist, the whole time Dats is telling everyone hes a "good boy" ... he is fine now, still his balance is a little off but he is his normal chatty self and I have been keeping an extra close eye on him.

Dats was determined to start my birthday with a bang and he absolutely did!!
Last edited by Datsun and Family on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Chamon-

Hestia

Post by Hestia »

That is absolutely horrific. What a terrible fright! In the end, at least its good to hear that Datsun is doing well and sounds like doing better. We wont bother to mention the "what could have's".
happy birthday as well, hope things got better after that.
Heather
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this. I have never read so fast in all my life. My heart is pounding and I find myself with tears in my eyes taking big breaths I guess the whole time i was reading I must not have been breathing. OMG ! thank god the little **** is ok. lol .. I can just picture D suddenly saying "hello" to the vet. What a scare and I hope I never ever ever have to experience something like that.

It is aweful of me but I was so glad I wans't here to find brinly (r.i.p. little budgie boy) when he passed away whlie I was in America.

And OMG ! it was your birthday

Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Datsun and Family

I know it will be a story we all laugh about for years to come but my heart stopped when Grayson put his tiny limp body in my hands, it made me realisehow fragile they can be and how much I love my little ****!!

Oh and thanks for the birthday wishes guys!
-Chamon-

catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

How horrifying! I probably would have tried mouth to beak or something. I wonder how long it was before the folks at the vet stopped laughing. Ah well, to borrow from the Bard, "All's well that ends well"
MCS
Datsun and Family

lol I know, they didn't charge me so I am thinking that was because they found the whole situation Bizarre and will speak of the crazy robed woman at all of their xmas functions :roll:
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

OMG My heart was pounding reading that! Thats scary! And then I burst out laughing! What a little bugga! On your Birthday too! I can just picture lil Dats, 'Helloo'

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHAMON! :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

Im glad hes ok, I couldnt help but laugh at him saying hello to the vet, And happy Birthday for Saturday.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

BTW .... don't tell Magellan about this, or we know what will happen next year!
MCS
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

catschair2 wrote:BTW .... don't tell Magellan about this, or we know what will happen next year!

Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Datz that little toad.

i'm glad to hear all is well there, i'm not sure what Amazon would have done if is little friend had an accident.

i hope this doesn't mean you have gone soft on Datz or he will know somthing is up.

P.S When you heading down our way for playgroup???
Adam and Dude
Datsun and Family

I have been in Tauranga a lot in the last couple of weeks but it was for a family member in hospital so I didnt even think to catch up... will have to soon though :D
-Chamon-

Datsun and Family

Well Dats has had a second episode, last night he was playing with his Dad and he fell to the floor, for no apparent reason and went into shock. I held him tight and talked softly to him, telling him I love him so damn much and this Mummy can't live without her green man. I did not feel any convulsions but by the time I got to him, he was just non responsive and dead quiet (very unusual for my ringneck :roll: ) after 10 or so minutes of cuddles and me telling him how important he is to me I pulled him out of my jumper and he started talking and stepping up for me again. I have called my avian vet and made the soonest available appointment which unfortunately is not until Tuesday afternoon but I am keeping a super close eye on him and my regular vet is only a minute away if I need to go there.

Any ideas of what this could be? He has been seen by a regular vet today but she really couldn't tell me much other than to keep an eye on him and to keep him calm and warm etc (all stuff I knew... I only went there because I can't get to Lynfield vets any sooner)

Wish us luck, I am terrorfied, I really can't lose this bird, he's my whole world. All comments and suggestions welcome.
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I have heard of seizures or loss of consciousness in birds. Here is some articles..

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww56eiv.htm
http://www.avianweb.com/seizures.html

I am so sorry Chamon. I hope the vet can find out whats wrong. Poor lil Dats! :( Keep us updated.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

It says in the second article that if no cause is found, they could have idiopathic epilepsy. :shock:
Datsun and Family

Thanks Lauren, I have been reading up like crazy on seizures in birds, I will get every known test done on Tuesday and wait anxiously for results, the other 3 birdies are coming for well bird check ups at the same time.
-Chamon-

Datsun and Family

Poor Dats, now he has the worlds most paranoid mother, I have not left him alone all day, just cuddling him or watching him play in his cage. Leaving him tomorrow to go to work is going to be so hard.
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh Chamon, I would be the same in your situation. Protective Mummy. :wink: *Hugs*
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

no no no no no no .. stamps her feet .. NO !

I just wanna hug you and come over to see you. I couldn't imagine what this must be like for you, just know that I am praying like mad for you guys and D. I feel like crying, tears have welled up, please keep us in touch with every moment. I want to know as soon as possible what is going on. We all do.

He is one lucky fid to have you as his mumma *hugz*

My thoughts and prayers are with you sweetie.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

I am so sorry! I hope Dats is okay. You must be so frightened. Prayers and good vibes going your way.
Datsun and Family

Thanks guys, we need all the positive thoughts and prayers we can get. I am kicking myself that I didn't look further into it when it happened the first time. I just assumed he got a fright and hit his head but it could have been a fit and I just brushed it off when he recovered. Bad Mum!

I have him snuggled up with me in bed with the laptop right now but I have to go to work soon, and I don't wanna! I don't know what reaction I am going to get from my boss when I say I need to take half the day off tomorrow to go to the vet.... might just say I have a doctors appointment...its not really lying, right? :roll:

I will let everyone here know exactly what is happening as it happens, I know Dats has a very protective extended family and thats why we love you all so much.
-Chamon-

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

that would of freaked me out lol what a little menace.
glad he is ok in the end tho !
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: I know this may sound stupid but, I had a PacMan frog once that had seisures. Scared the hello out of me when it happened.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

poor baby, I hope hes all right!
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Actually, I'm pretty well know already for my doom and gloom stories here already so I intentionally didn't finish the story. He had seisures for a week or so and came out of them, but the final one he didn't come out of. Kind of wierd though, an epileptic frog.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

I wish you luck at the vets. I hope everything works out and you can determine the cause of the seizures. I know this is scary.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) They are all gorgeous!
Datsun and Family

We have been to the vets and had bloods, they were normal but his liver is showing signs of being under strain. The X-ray showed that his liver is NOT enlarged which is good.

The vet wants to keep him in for a few days and watch him eating etc, so I am missing him like crazy but know he is in the best hands. I will most likely get him back on Saturday.

There really is no telling what is causing his fits until we do more blood tests in a few weeks.

Sorry I don't have more info for everyone but I FULLY trust this vet and I am at least feeling a bit better that I have started the ball rolling and he has come out of the anesthetic well.

Thanks you guys so much for your thoughts and well wishes. He is not out of the woods but we are doing the best we can.
-Chamon-

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:cry: I bet you miss him. Klaatu and I are hoping for the very best outcome possible. Image
Last edited by Klaatu on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna

Post by Donna »

BIG HUGS coming your way!!!

Hoping for the best :wink:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

*HUGS* and continuing prayers
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Wishing you and lil Dats all the best and I hope you can find the cause. *Squishie HUGS* Gosh, I can imagine how much you must miss your baby boy. :( Keep us updated.
Bird crazy

Thinking of you

Post by Bird crazy »

Hoping all is well and it will turn out to be nothing to worry over.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:lol: I couldn't help but notice that Nila the blue IRN looks more like a Nilo?
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

he is in the best hands IF he is not well but if is a big word he may be fine. fingers crossed he is fine !

but as i say he is in the best hands they know how to do there job thats what they are put on this world for !

keep your chin high hun!
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
julie

Post by julie »

I hope he is ok. Could it be the knock to the head that is causing the seizures? I know that in some cases head trauma causes epilepsy.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Still praying for you... I am sorry my friend that you are going through this. At least you are confident in your vet. Please keep us posted.
Datsun and Family

Spoke to the vet today, D has not eaten and is telling the vets off for putting him in his incubation unit. Telling them "NO, Naughty, get OUT!!"

I laughed coz.... well, thats my boy!!

Here's hoping he starts eating his special new diet soon so he can come home where he belongs.. Darn bird has already racked up a bill of over $600 but he is worth every cent.
-Chamon-

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:( OMG, that is so scarey. Not eating is the worst. I'm glad you are in good spirits. Thank you for keeping us all posted. I guess you can tell people all over the world are pulling for you and you sweet baby.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww Chamon. He'll be home soon! Keep your head up. Atleast the little monster is standing up for himself. :wink:

That made me giggle. Lil Dats is so funny! I can just see his little angry face saying 'NO.. get OUT!'
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Dats will be on the road coz I am praying every day and I know him, he is a strong little boy .. good boy D .. "NO, Naughty, get OUT!!" .. naughty vet ! hehehe
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Ohana

Post by Ohana »

How funny he was yelling at the vet! Praying for a quit return home. THanks for the update.
Datsun and Family

I have spoken to my vets again (I am the crazy mother who keeps calling...) and he has sustained his weight overnight and eaten a little on his own so we are looking at getting him home hopefully on Saturday afternoon.

I miss my green man soooo much, I am going to smother the crap outa him when he comes home... fingers crossed on Sat!!
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

fingers crossed and I hope they can work out what is going on with him.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:wink: So glad to hear he's eating. What a relief!. Any more seizures?
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

the poor lil guy! *hugs* to you both. Lou, Legacy and i wish Dats a speedy recovery. Keep us updated. I'd be a wreck
~the stubborn one~
Datsun and Family

Trust me hun, I AM!! I can't sleep or eat worrying about my boy and I amannoying Grayson with my sulking. But only you lot understand how much I love this chicken.. he's my baby!!

No more seizures so far but then I onlty witnessed 2 in 3 weeks.
-Chamon-

Datsun and Family

Spoke to the vets again and I can have him home tomorrow. Just need to call at 9am and check he is still ok.

Still no word from our testing as to why he is having fits so we need to do more tests in a few weeks when his liver has hopefully settled down.. but we are leaning toward idiopathic epilepsy which means epilepsy for no apparent reason or with no known cause.

As far as medications go we will judge how frequently he is seizing and the length of recovery then take it from there. I do not want to put him on any drugs that are not necessary.. but I am cautious not to let this go on for too long either.

I am just happy to get my boy back tomorrow!! I have missed him so damn much!!!
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I can't imagine how much you must miss him .. I know only by how much I would miss my babies if they had to be away from me for any length, just going back to work is going to be hard.

You are such a good parront darlin, taking every precaution and being calm enough and patient enough to get all the facts before making choices. D is one lucky fid to have you looking out for him.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Home to Mummy! You must be craving his love and cuddles right now. I hope you find relief for him soon. Sending best wishes over the Tasman!