HELP PLEASE

Moderator: Mods

nichole123

HELP PLEASE

Post by nichole123 »

NOT SURE IF THIS IS IN THE RIGHT AREA...

I bought a baby quaker today. I will have to wait 3 weeks to see if Master Chief likes him/her because I'm quarantining... the pet store I bought him/her from was not my first choice. We will be going to the vet tomorrow. I just wanted to know if anyone could help me in finding some one to report a pet store to in Louisiana... I've asked the adoption partners at my store and a few shelters, they couldn't think of anybody... They have a double yellow headed amazon in parakeet cage.... he looks to be ok but it's pretty gross...poop on everything... and worse yet, he bites... I would bite too if I was treated like that. I feel like by buying the quaker I saved him/her. I would go buy the amazon but I can't afford that right now... Help PLEASE
Donna

Post by Donna »

Try the ASPCA there has to be one in or around your area I would think.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Petey

Post by Petey »

In pet shops, birds of all sizes are kept in many different sized cages. Some are smaller than the bird should be in but that's not a violation nor is it against the law.. Birds crap all over the place no matter what sized cage it's in. Animal Control nor the Aspca or any other animal org can tell a pet shop owner what size cage to use. As a matter of fact most pet shops display their larger birds in smaller cages for easier access to the bird.. Only obvious physical abuse can be reported. The Aspca doesn't deal with animal businesses unless animals are suffering obvious abuse or infected with contagious diseases. Small cages or crapping all over the place doesn't fit the above problems. The Aspca deals with people who already own the pet. If there is any contagious disease in a pet store, only Animal Control is allowed to deal with that since they're the only ones that have the required equipment. They are usually called in by the ASPCA . The fact that a parrot bites has nothing to do with the size of the cage. Many parrots who are on display will eventually bite after they've been constantly touched by strangers all day long.
Donna

Re: HELP PLEASE

Post by Donna »

nichole123 wrote:. I would go buy the amazon but I can't afford that right now... Help PLEASE

Your not helping the problem if you go buy every bird sitting in a crappy cage in a pet store your only helping the pet store owner make more money to buy more birds. Think about it!!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Petey

Post by Petey »

WELL, I THOUGHT ABOUT IT!! I swear that I did!! Cross my heart and hope to die. So there!!!!!!!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

It's such a hard situation, we are not going to stop the bird stores by not buying from them, not even by reporting them.

Then there is the poor birds that are already at the stores waiting and hoping for a good home. What are we to do with them. It is not fair if you take on a bird and cannot afford to, or even really want to. It's all catch 22 ...

I don't have an answer, nobody does. It is a situation of things left without control or regulations, and now it's so past remedy that we have to live with the sadness of the sitation. This extends into much of human life.

This is the human condition we live in, and we must live in it, try our best, but not beat ourselves up over it when there is little we can do.

Go with your heart and don't let opinion sway you. Your choice is just that, your choice, you make it guaged by your situation. God gave us free will, some use it badly and some wisely, we can always try but we cannot force.

Do what you feel is right darlin.

Good luck !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Donna

Post by Donna »

Good boy Petey! Good boy!!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh dear. :cry: So sad there is not much help for poor mistreated birds.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
nichole123

Post by nichole123 »

Here is my main concern. This bird does not have enough room to TURN AROUND in his cage. I brought the conditions to the attention of the store owner about a week ago hoping maybe he would get on some employee to at least change the s*** ENCRUSTED food! Also, you can no longer tell that there is any kind of liner or bedding at the bottom of the cage because that too is caked in at least an inch of crap! This is not a case of just a regular cage with bird poop on it. And it is not just the condition of the bird in this store it is all the animals. It angers me also that the American Society for the PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS would not make a bigger stand to enforce some kind of regulations for birds and other animals in this situation. Cruelty is not just physically abusing an animal.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I know in NZ we have specifications that state a bird must be able to stretch his wings and move from perch to perch as a minimum for cage size. This is from our SPCA and though it is pathetically vague at least it gives us some guidelines for reporting cruelty, and this bird would be taken in by NZ SPCA if he is unable to even turn around (not much help to you though)
-Chamon-

Jay

Post by Jay »

Report it to the ASPCA anyway. Let them determine whether it's animal cruelty or not. Don't be swayed away or dissuaded by other people's opinions as a pet owner such as yourself obviously knows what is good and what is bad for a bird.

Additionally, different states and even different cities and counties have varying laws and regulations pertaining to issues such as this. Not one person absolutely knows what all these rules are.

God bless you for having a kind heart.
Petey

Post by Petey »

""""""""Don't be swayed away or dissuaded by other people's opinions"""""

Listen buddy, for your information that's what people come to boards for...
OPINIONS.What they don't need is a person who decides to tell them that they shouldn't listen to other's opinions. PLUS, just what was said in this thread by people that told that person that their method was the only way to do things? Only you. As a matter of fact, the person who started this post only decided to get into more specific details in her second post after reading other people's opinions. I checked thru this whole thread and I notice that you never contributed anything until everyone spoke about how they feel and why they also decided to tell a person the difference between Animal Control and ASPCA was.
nichole123

Post by nichole123 »

Thank you ALL for your opinions! I have reported the pet store to the LA-SPCA and for the following reasons in my report they will be talking to the store owner

Section 18-2. Cruelty to animals.

It is unlawful for any person keeping an animal or fowl to fail to provide for that animal or fowl:

(a) Clean, sanitary, safe and humane conditions;
(b) Sufficient quantities of appropriate food daily served in a sanitary container or dish;
(c) Proper shelter as defined in 18.2.1;
(d) Adequate quantities of visibly clean and fresh water available at all times provided in a sanitary manner; and
(e) Medical attention and/or necessary veterinary care when an animal is sick, diseased, or injured. Upon request of the LA/SPCA, written proof of veterinary care must be provided

Section 18-2.1 Minimum Standards Of Care For Animals (including Fowl).

(1) Shelter and Care

(a) Shelter must be sanitary, of sound construction, and provide adequate protection from the cold and heat. Shelter must be placed in a dry area free of debris, feces, and standing water. It must have at least three sides and a weatherproof roof; have a solid sanitary floor (or appropriate flooring for fowl), be adequately ventilated; provide shelter from wind, rain, sun and the elements at all times. Suitable drainage must be provided so that water is not standing in or around the shelter.

(b) Shelter must be large enough for the animal to stand, turn around, and lie down without touching the sides or top of the shelter.

(c) When outdoor temperatures reach freezing levels, all cats, dogs, and small domestic animals must be moved indoors or to an area that provides heat and shelter from the weather.

(d) All areas where animals are kept shall be cleaned regularly so that fecal matter is disposed of so not to attract insects or rodents, become unsightly or cause objectionable odors.

(e) An Animal Control Officer may remove an animal that is living in conditions that do not meet standards outlined in 18.2.1. If modifications to the shelter or living area do not meet the standards within five business days, that animal becomes the property of the LA/SPCA.

(f) If multiple animals are present in one location, each animal must have a separate and clean food bowl. Each animal must have access to shelter and the owner must meet all standards as detailed in this section.

Wether or not any action will be taken, I feel much better that I have personally taken action in possibly getting this guy to wise up and take care of the animals in his posession.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Good on you, I hope they do what is right for that baby and the other animals in the shops "care".
-Chamon-

Jay

Post by Jay »

Petey wrote:""""""""Don't be swayed away or dissuaded by other people's opinions"""""

Listen buddy, for your information that's what people come to boards for...
OPINIONS.What they don't need is a person who decides to tell them that they shouldn't listen to other's opinions. PLUS, just what was said in this thread by people that told that person that their method was the only way to do things? Only you. As a matter of fact, the person who started this post only decided to get into more specific details in her second post after reading other people's opinions. I checked thru this whole thread and I notice that you never contributed anything until everyone spoke about how they feel and why they also decided to tell a person the difference between Animal Control and ASPCA was.

Relax old man. Take a chill pill. Inspite of your posts, the original poster did decide to report to the LASPCA and she seems to be happy with her choice of action. Go back to psychologizing your birds.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Good for you Nichole, maybe it is their time for a proper assesment by this mob. Then at least you know you tried your best.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless