Well Izzy is doing better, except a strange problem...

Moderator: Mods

zysoclaplem

Well Izzy is doing better, except a strange problem...

Post by zysoclaplem »

I've managed to get Izzy to step up onto a 12" stick without much of a struggle now, but even for all her improvement, she has become increasingly aggressive.

Basically she is attempting to bite every time someone comes close to her cage. Just slamming he beak into the bars. I am afraid she is going to knock herself out one day. She didn't use to be so aggressive.

Any ideas why this is happening? A normal thing when training?
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Sounds like maybe she is going through bluffing...
Donna

Post by Donna »

How much time is Izzy out of her cage? Is she aloud to play on top of it while she is out?Sounds to be like it's a territorial issue. Take her away from the cage and give her about 4 hours out of cage time and see if you notice a difference in her behavior. I don't think it's buffing I think it's protecting.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

Yep sounds just like a territory thing. My Indie has actually turned into a really good bird. He is only 11 months old but and I have only had him for going on 8 months. He wasn't too hand friendly to begin with either. Nevertheless, if Indie is in his cage, with the door shut, he will lung at the bars as well. Even though he knows I am not going to harm him, its just his way of saying this is my home, don't touch it.
As far as the increasingly aggressive behavior, I myself can say (as well as everyone else on here) There was a time when I was so fusterated with Indie and thought I was never going to be able to get him to be nice. But that time has past, it just took some support, from here, and lots of patience. Now I am starting to wonder the same things about Jasmine my Goffin Cockatoo.
Just be patient and hang in there, it only gets better as I have been told my many on here. :D
conurelover2007

Post by conurelover2007 »

I think I will give my little one more outside time as well.