I just Don't Get it lol !!!

Moderator: Mods

BILO

I just Don't Get it lol !!!

Post by BILO »

i have my IRN for a year and a half now...She flies around the house all the time she sings she talks a little she is much better than before but there is still 1 thing missing.....SHE NEVER LETS ME TOUCH HER....SHE STILL BITES !!!!......

i really don't get it... the strange thing is she lets me touch her after she takes a shower....as if she is soooo happy and calm she doesn't care !!!!

can someone explain this behavior !!!!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

My Yoda is the same. Steps up, talks to me.. but wont let me touch. But if I take Yoda to the shower. I'm all his!

Have you tried toweling your IRN? This is a good way of getting them used to hands. I can scratch Yodas head if he is in a towel. Still puts up a fight. But calms down after a while.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

BILO How do you get her back in her cage when you want her to go?
Some are going to tell you to clip her wings but it sounds like you enjoy having her fly around the house and do what she wants to do. You want control but you can't have your cake and eat it to :D If you want to be able to touch her and carry her around then it's sounds like a wing clip is in order. IRN's aren't what I call cuddle birds but they do settle down a little bit when they have to depend on you to get them from point A to point B Take a little bit of her independence away and see if she doesn't change. If you have other animals around and you do not want to clip wings then having an independent IRN is not a bad thing.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh it does help when they are clipped and rely on you more! But then even clipped birds can still fly around and be cranky pants. They are very strong flyers. Yoda can fly but can't get height so I do have to keep picking him up. Yoda only puts up a fight if higher than me. So try not letting her get higher than your shoulders (cagetops etc.). Jibby flys perfectly and isnt clipped but I've had him almost 7 years and hes no problem. Its up to you really whether you want to clip. But it does help.. Jibby was clipped the first few years for training/taming.
Thats right, IRNs are not cuddly birds but can be once in a while when it suits them. :roll:
BILO

Post by BILO »

hmmm I'll try the towel thing lol !!! never thought about it really...
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I'm not a huge fan of the clipping thing, (my opinion, I do think its necessary as a last resort for some situations) Now I have one of those feral birds that I cannot touch but who chirps to me and flies to me and gives me kisses.
Birds love routine so if you get into the habit of a set "bedtime" and use the treat you've been saving all day to get the little feral flier back in there then see if that works for you too.
Just because you clip and your bird cant fly doesnt mean it will like you more, depend on you more sure thing but I've had some clipped birds that are still just as happy to relieve me of part of my finger.
Sorry my point is that you can have a feral flier and sometimes the way they are is good enough. I dont need to scritch every bird I own. Some I can some I cant.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I agree Neo. I'm not a fan either but sometimes has to be done for training.

Yep, treats and favorite things help when getting your unclipped bird back in the cage.

Jibby doesn't get treats though. He has a favorite bell I just ring and he does whatever hes told (most of the time). Try training with a toy.
Yoda on the other hand, is a bit difficult and stubborn. Puts up a fight then gives in after a while and steps up. Sometimes even climbs into his own cage on his own just to tell me 'Yeah Yeah Yeah I know!' and then growls at me. :roll:
conurelover2007

Post by conurelover2007 »

I have my birds wings clipped but because I know too many people who have had their bird fly out the window etc. She hasn't showed a moody side yet. But I am sure it is coming.