Need advise and helping tame new Irn.

Moderator: Mods

Peanut

Need advise and helping tame new Irn.

Post by Peanut »

Well, we brought our new baby home. He/she is about a year old and blue/green. The lady we adopted him from was 89 years old and could no longer keep it. It was purchased from a pet store, hain fed, but not hand tame. I got a bite from her today trying to put her in a different cage. She seems fine with Peanut, but does the death scream every time somebody gets close to her. I am very hopeful with working with her, since she has already taken brocolli from dan's hand, droped it, and then screamed at him when he picked it up. They lady thinks it is a female, but she is not sure. The eyes pin very quickly and it does the haed bob dance thing. I am thinking male? ANybody have any suggestions on behaivor and what it may mean? I knwo DNA is the only for sure way of knowing, but do females pin their eyes as well? Also, would you reccomend putting her in the same cage as peanut if they seem to get along fine, or probrobly not such a good idea? She only screams at him if he touches her toes, but she seems to like him. Thank you for your help and advise!
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

i personaly wouldnt put them in the same cage as each other, as for the pinning i think females do it too, but not 100% sure im sure someone will tell me if im wrong
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Sounds like a lil character you have there! Already telling your partner to pick up the brocolli! hehe. :roll: Sounds like my Yoda. Got an attitude! hehe.

Do not house them together. As much as they seem fine now. Fights will happen. You cant take the risk. A definate no no with new birds.

Both female and male IRNs pin. :wink: How old is he/she?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

Yeah!! You got her home. She will tame down but it is going to take some time, she's probably not used to other birds and people so just be patient.
I wouldn't put her in the same cage with your other one they like their own space and toys. I would keep her in another room away from your other birds for now (quarantine) for about 30 to 60 days just to be on the safe side. Some birds will not show signs of illness until it becomes stressed and moving a bird to a new environment is very stressful. Get her vet checked and a clean bill of health before introducing her to the other flock. (don't take this lightly) infecting a whole flock is very devastating and can be prevented
Yes females will pin their eyes just like the males.

Good luck keep us posted

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

He/she is about a year old. We moved her into a different cage in a different room, and she is soooooo much better. The cage the lady had her/him in was smaller than a parakeet cage :cry: We moved he/she into a much bigger cage and she seems amazing! She has let us hold her for a few seconds, is taking food from our hands, and isn't lunging at us to attack us anymore! I think it may have just been the smaller cage thing, but she still is kind of scared of people. She just had a vet check 2 weeks ago, and it came out perfect. She is healthy as can be and I have the papers! So, would it be ok to move her in the bird room with the other birds then or should I have her vet checked again? Thank you for your advise everybody! It helps me a lot :D
Donna

Post by Donna »

I don't think another vet check is in order but I would still keep her separated for at least 30 days. I don't know if her last vet check if they did blood work or not so any vet can say they look healthy but blood work would tell a whole lot more. So just keep her quarantined to be safe and this will give her some time to really settle in and relax. Sorry I'm a big fan of qua renting birds that come from pet stores (not against pet stores but don't trust a lot of them)

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
conurelover2007

Post by conurelover2007 »

Best of luck with your new baby.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

Update? Sounds like she was coming along so well that she may be ruling the roost by now! How does Peanut like his new bud? How is that ring coming??
MCS
Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Update on Baby our new IRN. How right you are, she is rueling the nest around here! She loves to play with the other birds, but also is the "boss". She and Peanut get along great and she is makeing more progress everyday! We used to have to have her pearch up on a stick and then she would come down and sit on us, but now all we have to do is reach our hand up there, and she comes down to see us. Amazing how much can happen with love, treats, and a bigger home! Peanut's ring is come in like crazy! It is yellow in the back and black in the front. I will have to post pics in a day or two for all of you to see! :lol: