how do i convert my irn from seeds to pellets

Moderator: Mods

pearl

how do i convert my irn from seeds to pellets

Post by pearl »

as you all know she has always been fed seeds with her previous owner :roll:
now living with me she has started eating fruit and veg as she coppies me :wink:
Her seed mix that i bought from a pet shop has different types of seeds and peanuts and different types of pellets but what she does is picks out her favourite type of white little sunflower seeds and thats it
she would not eat any other type of food from her mix
some times she helps her self with peanuts

Now am thinking of converting her from seeds to pellets only and keeping the seeds for treat basis
as i have read in so many of you guys posts that pellets with fresh veg and fruit is the best diet

But the question is HOW

She hates pellets
or may be she has never tried them before

plus the main question is
which pellets to go for

please if any body can help me out here
thanx :)
TropicalAussie

Post by TropicalAussie »

I'm currently in the process of switching my IRN from seeds to pellets. The instructions on the packet for switching says to mix a 50:50 mix of seeds and pellets, put enough water in to make the mixture sticky, form into a patty or rissole and put the fresh patty in it's seed container. Slowly decrease the amount of seeds and increase the pellets.
Now, I didn't look where you're located but I'm in a hot tropical climate and therefore can't leave wet food in the cage all day to fester and become ridden with deadly bacteria so I started on a weekend and did two days worth or wet mixture while i was there and this week I've been putting the same mixture in but not wetting it. It seems to be working because last night I could see some pellets have been eaten.
Good luck and make sure that you keep plenty of fresh fruit a vegies available so your bird is still getting enough nutrients.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Pearl While there is so many brands on the market I can not say witch one is the best. I feed mine Lafebers non colored pellets but if I want to convert a bird on to pellets I sometimes soak them in apple juice or just mix them in with the seed mix. You'll have to find what brand she likes best sometimes it's a hit and miss and you may have to buy different brands until you get the one she likes best.

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
pearl

Post by pearl »

TropicalAussie wrote:I'm currently in the process of switching my IRN from seeds to pellets. The instructions on the packet for switching says to mix a 50:50 mix of seeds and pellets, put enough water in to make the mixture sticky, form into a patty or rissole and put the fresh patty in it's seed container. Slowly decrease the amount of seeds and increase the pellets.
Now, I didn't look where you're located but I'm in a hot tropical climate and therefore can't leave wet food in the cage all day to fester and become ridden with deadly bacteria so I started on a weekend and did two days worth or wet mixture while i was there and this week I've been putting the same mixture in but not wetting it. It seems to be working because last night I could see some pellets have been eaten.
Good luck and make sure that you keep plenty of fresh fruit a vegies available so your bird is still getting enough nutrients.

:shock: OOH I DIDNT KNOW YOU HAVE TO WET THE PELLETS
I THOUGHT THEY JUST EAT IT THE WAY IT IS
MEANING WITH A CRUNCH

BY THE WAY I LIVE IN UK

SO ITS PLENTY OF RAIN AND CRUEL COLD WEATHER AND SNOW AROUND HERE
WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR THIS YEARS SUMMER HEHEHEEH

AND THE MAIN PROBLEM IS SHE IS FREAKINGLY SMART
IF SHE DOESNT WANT TO EAT SOMETHING SHE WILL NOT TOUCH IT

LIKE THE OTHER DAY I WANTED TO FEED HER MIX VEG BUT SHE DOESNT LIKE IT SO I STIRED SOME BOILED MIX VEG IN HER FAV FOOD WHICH IS MASH PATATOES
BUT TO MY SURPRIZE SHE LIKED EVERY LAST SPOT OF MASH FROM AROUND THE VEGIES AND KEPT THEM INTACT

BUT THEN SHE DOESNT KNOW I AM ASTEP FURTHER THAN HER IN SMARTNESS
THE NEXT TIME I MASHED THE VEGIES WITH THE PATATOES AND SHE ATE IT ALL UP

:wink: :D

Donna WROTE_
You'll have to find what brand she likes best sometimes it's a hit and miss and you may have to buy different brands until you get the one she likes best.

OH MAN REALLY
ARE ALL THE DIFFERENT BRANDS GOT DIFFERENT TASTES
ITS GOING TO COST ME A BOMB
I CANT FIND PELLETS IN OUR LOCAL PETSTORES HERE
I WAS TRYING TO ORDER FROM THE INTERNET AND I CAME ACROSS SO MANY DIFF TYPES OF BRANDS
LIKE ZUPREEM,
KAYTEE,
LAFEBERS,
HARRISONS,
ETC ETC
AND EACH BRANDS SMALLEST PACK IS ABOUT £9.99

OH WELL NO ONE SAID KEEPING A BIRD HAPPY AND HEALTHY IS GOING TO BE CHEAP

DOESNT MATTER I WILL DO THIS FOR HER SO SHE GETS A NICE HEALTHY NUTRITIONAL MEAL PLUS MY VEG AND FRUITS AND LOADS OF TENDER LOVE AND CARE (TLC)
:wink:
Jay

Post by Jay »

Put pellets ONLY during the day. In the evening, add a small amount of seed just so the IRNs that did not eat the pellets will not starve overnight.

The following morning, remove any remainder seeds and put pellets again.

With this procedure, most of my IRNs have switched from seed diet to pellet on the second day. By the third day, all have switched.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I have only just converted my Jibby onto pellets after 6 years of seed. Some people get them used to the taste by making treats and adding some softened pellets into it. I've been told it takes some time to convert them but for my stubborn Jibby, I just took the seed out and tried the 'EAT IT OR STARVE' routine. (of course I wont starve him, But if hes got nothing else, he'll have to dig in!) He took to them straight away! :lol: Sounds harsh. But I don't think they will starve overnight.

I made the mistake the other week of mixing some left over seed into the pellet mix. I will never do that again because all he ate was the seed and flicked all the pellets onto the floor. He will still occasionally get a seed bar treat. But I cannot mix seed and pellets together. Alot of people do.

I also get pellets with no color so that he wont pick out his 'favorite' colors. :roll:

There are many pellets on the market. I'm not sure what you have over in the UK but as Donna said.. its sometimes a hit and miss. Trial a few different brands to see if she likes it.
Last edited by Lauren on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Also a good idea for not wasting the left over crumbs in the bowl is.. bake a special treat for your birds with the pellet crumbs. :wink:

Pellets are expensive and can cost a 'bomb' here too. I order over the internet aswell. I found it cheaper than dealing with shops that don't sell much variety.
julie

Post by julie »

I soak the pellets in some warm water and add budgie mix,corn,broccoli,apple, sunflower seeds ect and then mix it all together and bake it in the oven to make it pretty firm and then the birds go crazy for it. I have been gradualy reducing the seeds and putting in more pellets and they seem to really like it and I dont think they even realise that while they are trying to get to the seeds and fruit and veg they are actually eating the pellets too.There is only one thing that bothers me about doing it like I do is the fact it smells so good that everyone wants to eat it including the humans.
pearl

Post by pearl »

tHANX ALL YOU GUYS
A LOT OF HELP HERE

BUT FOR MY PICKY GIRL
I THINK I WILL TRY TO GO FOR THE 'EAT IT OR STARVE'
METHOD
COZ SHE IS A FUSSY LITTLE DEVIL :evil:

AND AM SURE IF I MIX BOTH FOODS AND GIVE HER SHE WILL ONLY PICK OUT THE PELLETS

I WAS WONDERING WHAT IF I TAKE ALL FOOD OUT FROM HER CAGE BEFORE PUTTING HER TO SLEEP AND THEN TRY AND ONLY PUT PELLET FOOD IN THE FOLLOWING MORNING
AND THEN LATER ON IN THE EVENING I COULD OFFER HER A LITTLE BIT OF SEED MIX AS A DESSERT AND THEN AGAIN TAKE ALL THE FOOD OUT BEFORE SLEEPING TIME

AS THE SAYING GOES
IF YOU ARE HUNGRY YOU DONT MIND ANY TYPE OF FOOD AS LONG AS IT FILLS YOU UP

BUT IF YOU ARE ALREADY FULL YOU START TO CHOSE AND PICK
SAYING "NO I DNT THINK I WILL TRY THIS TONIGHT I KINDA DONT LIKE THE LOOKS OF IT DOESNT M,ATTER ITS HEALTHY "
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh of course don't starve the bird is she wont go near the pellets. Give them a snack before bed. But as depois do prazer mentioned, pellets ONLY during the day. Thats all she gets during the day for a few days.
Sorry 'eat it or starve' my my way of what depois was saying. I just don't think they will starve overnight thats all.
I figure, birds in the wild don't eat as much as pet birds. My vet told me almost 80% of birds he sees are overweight or fed too much. My Jibby wasnt! hehe.. YAY! But I still think he gets fed too much sometimes. :oops:
pearl

Post by pearl »

Sorry 'eat it or starve' my my way of what depois was saying. I just don't think they will starve overnight thats all.

no no i totally understand
ofcoarse we wont starve the birds

and what do prazer said that is exactly what am going to do
only wont leave any food inside the cage overnight

coz i have noticed sometimes if she is awake earlier she has a good seed breakfast and then when i offer fruits at that time she is not hungry for them

so all i want her to be is a little hungry when i offer pellets to her
so she doesnt get a option

then if she is not eating them i will put some seeds later but will take all the food out before bedtime thats all

thanx you all
i just hope she gets converted soon
pearl

Post by pearl »

oh one more thing i ordered my pellets from the net yesterday and they are coming today

:D :D :D

YAY...ME :wink:

BUT THE ONLY DOWNSIDE IS THAT I GOT A BIT CARRIED AWAY AND ALTOGATHER DID THE SHOPPING OF £93.00

IN WHICH I GOT FIVE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PELLETS
TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF TREATS
AND FIVE OTHER DIFFERENT TYPES OF TOYS

I HOPE SHE LIKES EVERYTHING
:)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstood. :wink:

Sounds like shes getting very spoiled! Lucky girl! Pellets and toys are so expensive though.. its just not fair.. I spend hours in the birdshop just deciding which toy to get. Then I go back and choose something else 2 mins later. I take it home and they would rather play with a peice of cardboard! Argh! hehe. :lol:
Jay

Post by Jay »

pearl wrote:and what do prazer said that is exactly what am going to do
only wont leave any food inside the cage overnight

coz i have noticed sometimes if she is awake earlier she has a good seed breakfast and then when i offer fruits at that time she is not hungry for them

so all i want her to be is a little hungry when i offer pellets to her
so she doesnt get a option

then if she is not eating them i will put some seeds later but will take all the food out before bedtime thats all

Yup. You have to adjust the "eat it or starve" concept based on your daily routine. I'm usually up before six so I manage to get to the feeding dishes long before the birds are awake. For your situation, removing the seeds before bedtime is a good idea.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

:? My ringneck has both seed and pellets. Should I be giving one or the other?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Sunny... a mixture of both would be good, along with fresh fruits and veggies.

With my birds, their daily diet consist of a good quality pellet and lots of fruits and veggies. They get a good seed mix twice a week, more like a treat.

A diet of pure seeds alone is not recommended due to the high fat and cholesterol content of most seeds and the generally insufficient supply of other beneficial vitamins and minerals.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Thank you for the advice.

Yes my Sunny gets an assortment of fruit and vege as well as the seed/pellets.

He'll also try and con whatever we're eating too.